Auto Interior Dimension Duplicates

joedesign30

• 2 years later...

I use manual for interior and use the auto exterior and clean those up.

Helps to select one room and add auto dimensions (with the tools that appear 

then) in just that one room.    Room by room is less crazy making for me.

Then,  edit what you get that way, could be faster than manually doing it from start.

Helps to select one room and add auto dimensions (with the tools that appear 

then) in just that one room.    Room by room is less crazy making for me.

Then,  edit what you get that way, could be faster than manually doing it from start.

That's what I have been doing. Easier to delete than add.

I think the problem with the auto interior dimensions is not that Chief is duplicating the dimensions, but rather, Chief is going around the enclosed room and dimensioning each wall.

So that in a regular shaped square or rectangular room, you get a dimension for each wall.

As it happens, opposite walls are the same length and so you get what looks like duplicate dims, but really, Chief is just dimensioning each wall.

Try it with an L shaped room or rooms with more steps and L shapes in the walls and it becomes pretty obvious what is happening.

And remember that some of the settings from the current dim style are applied to the Auto interior dims as well. Like formatting, setup, arrow, etc.

I think the problem with the auto interior dimensions is not that Chief is duplicating the dimensions, but rather, Chief is going around the enclosed room and dimensioning each wall.

So that in a regular shaped square or rectangular room, you get a dimension for each wall.

As it happens, opposite walls are the same length and so you get what looks like duplicate dims, but really, Chief is just dimensioning each wall.

Try it with an L shaped room or rooms with more steps and L shapes in the walls and it becomes pretty obvious what is happening.

And remember that some of the settings from the current dim style are applied to the Auto interior dims as well. Like formatting, setup, arrow, etc.

That's gotta be it, good thinking.

BTW the new lenses look great !

• 1 year later...

>is there a real practical use for Auto Interior Dimension???

No, I believe it is there just to help new users, and offer a choice. Also it does not do correctly dimensioning of angled walls. Or at least not the way we were taught on engineering program.