15 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

4000 lux per your Recipe above..... with background set to Black (000)

I guess my test house isn't the same as yours?   ie 4 walled box with auto roof and Foundation)

Is that a surface mount light on your ceiling. If so make the emissivity on the lens None. High levels of emissivity can cause over exposure, they act like light sources.

9 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Keep reducing the camera exposure until the interior looks ok. Also, by any chance does your test house have the generic light source activated. If so place a light in the room and turn it off to stop the generic  light from activating.

It actually has 4 Surface mounted (Floros) from the test Plan I did for CS with the missing light Surfaces. (full plan in that thread now)

I turned the sun down to 400 and the exposure to 0.1 and it looks way better but it appears as if it's nightime outside still even though sun is  streaming in :)

Cam.exp. at 0.18 and Brigthness at 30 instead of 100 looks about the same as above...

10 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Is that a surface mount light on your ceiling. If so make the emissivity on the lens None. High levels of emissivity can cause over exposure, they act like light sources.

The Surface mount lights are indeed emissive...25000 !  let me play some....

2 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Make those "None".

Yep set the "Lighting White" Material to 0  but not much change ...will remove them.

Strangely Mini-blinds block the sunlight , and the sun patch on the floor is only the size of the un-blinded part..... it doesn't shine through like in your pic...different Blind I guess?

Just now, Kbird1 said:

Yep set the "Lighting White" Material to 0  but not much change ...will remove them.

Strangely Mini-blinds block the sunlight , and the sun patch on the floor is only the size of the un-blinded part..... it doesn't shine through like in your pic...different Blind I guess?

The blinds will reduce the light just up you sun intensity to compensate or increase the exposure.

What does your glass look like now, is it still jet black?

7 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

The blinds will reduce the light just up you sun intensity to compensate or increase the exposure.

What does your glass look like now, is it still jet black?

the Blinds didn't effect the Light much actually but they don't cast shadows even though Shadows are turned on, they do change the sun "patch" size on the floor accordingly though.

Removed the 4 surface lights and put in (1) x 4" Potlight and look at this.........

image.thumb.png.05e39b39f106c4d3375d1afb8b030514.png

and Sun Off.....

image.thumb.png.86806fd7b1c6eeffb9b57ad2bf9de4b6.png

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

the Blinds didn't effect the Light much actually but they don't cast shadows even though Shadows are turned on, they do change the sun "patch" size on the floor accordingly though.

Removed the 4 surface lights and put in (1) x 4" Potlight and look at this.........

image.thumb.png.05e39b39f106c4d3375d1afb8b030514.png

and Sun Off.....

image.thumb.png.86806fd7b1c6eeffb9b57ad2bf9de4b6.png

Ok looks a lot better. Now turn of that spot light and start cranking up the camera exposure to see if you can get the light effect on the floor. If that doesn't do it then start cranking up the sun.

11 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Ok looks a lot better. Now turn of that spot light and start cranking up the camera exposure to see if you can get the light effect on the floor. If that doesn't do it then start cranking up the sun.

Light Off and Sun On..... 400 lux......( and yes I have a Roof and Foundation on the Model......)  ........ I must have something wrong??

image.thumb.png.d562193e69f362c72bef889762dd3312.png

Here's the plan , that should make it easier for you to diagnose .......

Simple PBR Test Plan.plan

M.

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Light Off and Sun On..... 400 lux......( and yes I have a Roof and Foundation on the Model......)  ........ I must have something wrong??

image.thumb.png.d562193e69f362c72bef889762dd3312.png

Here's the plan , that should make it easy for you .......

Simple PBR Test Plan.plan

M.

your sun angle is very high, try reducing it to get the bright spot on the floor to extend further into the room. You may also want to make your room size a bit more normal, say 20' X 20'.

Will be off my computer now until around 10pm.

3 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

your sun angle is very high, try reducing it to get the bright spot on the floor to extend further into the room. You may also want to make your room size a bit more normal, say 20' X 20'.

Will be off my computer now until around 10pm.

Thanks G. will try it......the Sun angle is Automatic.....

got to head out too actually.......

M.

• 7 months later...

Just for interest, I took an X11 PBR, made a few basic adjustments to saturation and light levels in Photoshop. Here is a direct comparison to a scene that was generated in another rendering program.

The exterior X11 PBR only uses the generic sun, no other lighting.

579368879_Comparison1.thumb.jpg.82fd88a97cd667a9c2ba55ff5797cd79.jpg

Though the other scene is of better composure, most of the lighting qualities between the two are comparable.

Here's an example of an interior PBR that only uses the generic sun, no other lighting.

929865650_Interior1copy.thumb.png.b28297d0b53d5507f7fc6805d429b11f.png

When using just the sun the interior ambient is going to be dictated by the amount of glazing, the more glazing the more ambient light. You can increase the ambient by cranking up the suns lumens but this will also crank up the direct light, find the right direct light level and If the interior ambient still appears low just add a small amount of emissive to the ceiling and wall surfaces. In this scene the ceiling emissive is 0.13 and the walls are 0.20.

As only the sun needs to be computed this PBR runs real fast, about 5 seconds to regenerate after a change, also rotates, zooms and pans smoothly. This model has 2.4 million surfaces and contains 116 3D trees/plant, it runs smooth and glitch free.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Here's an example of an interior PBR that only uses the generic sun, no other lighting.

929865650_Interior1copy.thumb.png.b28297d0b53d5507f7fc6805d429b11f.png

When using just the sun the interior ambient is going to be dictated by the amount of glazing, the more glazing the more ambient light. You can increase the ambient by cranking up the suns lumens but this will also crank up the direct light, find the right direct light level and If the interior ambient still appears low just add a small amount of emissive to the ceiling and wall surfaces. In this scene the ceiling emissive is 0.13 and the walls are 0.20.

As only the sun needs to be computed this PBR runs real fast, about 5 seconds to regenerate after a change, also rotates, zooms and pans smoothly. This model has 2.4 million surfaces and contains 116 3D trees/plant, it runs smooth and glitch free.

Nice PBR's as usual Graham but curious about the reference to only the generic sun? Do the other ceiling lights in the shot not account for any computing needs...or??

5 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Nice PBR's as usual Graham but curious about the reference to only the generic sun? Do the other ceiling lights in the shot not account for any computing needs...or??

The other lights are not turned on, the only light source in the scene is the generic sun. The recessed lights look like they are on because their lens material has emissive set in the material properties. Only lights that are actually turned on require computation.

48 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

The other lights are not turned on, the only light source in the scene is the generic sun. The recessed lights look like they are on because their lens material has emissive set in the material properties. Only lights that are actually turned on require computation.

Thanks Graham, did not know that...

2 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Only lights that are actually turned on require computation.

Would you say that as a general rule, turn all lights off, and only mess with the emmisivity of the materials to illuminate an interior scene? And same for an exterior scene?

Your PBR skills are off the wall by the way....

Just now, Michael_Gia said:

Would you say that as a general rule, turn all lights off, and only mess with the emmisivity of the materials to illuminate an interior scene? And same for an exterior scene?

Your PBR skills are off the wall by the way....

Thanks Michael. Having the lights on or off depends on how you wish the scene to look. I just wanted to demonstrate that X11 PBR can generate a half decent scene with just the sun only and a few minor material adjustments. The big advantage in not having lots of lights is that the PBR runs real fast and with just the sun it simplifies your lighting adjustments as there is only the sun to adjust.

Same for the exterior, the one I posted yesterday(a few posts above) only used the generic sun, no other lights. The model has 2.5 million surfaces. 116 3D trees/plants, with just 1 light source everything runs very fast.

I know many users are struggling with CA's PBR, but it's not really that difficult. It just takes a bit of controlled experimentation to develop an understanding as how the sun and lights work on their own and when together. Materials are only adjusted once the lighting is correct, not before.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, limitless8 said:

Some PBR on x10, sun at 100,000 and lights on at 2500 with 5 drop rate, 0.23 camera exposure with 7 saturation and 58 brightness.

you're pretty brave to use what seems to be a stainless steel backsplash.

Nice work, was it more a job of lighting or materials?

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

X11 PBR Exterior Comparison

Here's an interesting comparison of an X11 PBR to an actual Photo shot with a $15,000 100Mp medium format camera.

X11 PBR

767357929_AbodeExteriorMScopy.thumb.png.ccd6ced097363dc493cf2de9e238b846.png

$15,000 100Mp Medium Format Camera

6155308849.thumb.jpg.2cbb21b418093d491caa8d2f4b348e12.jpg

I am assuming the PBR is photoshopped ?

It is interesting that with renderings we are trying to get them as real as possible while with photography we are trying to get as detailed as possible translating into making it look like a rendering lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rispgiu said:

I am assuming the PBR is photoshopped ?

It is interesting that with renderings we are trying to get them as real as possible while with photography we are trying to get as detailed as possible translating into making it look like a rendering lol

Just minor adjustment to highlights, shadows and saturation, nothing major, took maybe 1 - minute. Same changes could have been done in the windows photo app. Be assurred that the actual camera one was also adjusted.

Personally, the rendering engines are attempting to match the quality of a camera, hence the term "Photo Realistic". 

5 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Just minor adjustment to highlights, shadows and saturation, nothing major, took maybe 1 - minute. Same changes could have been done in the windows photo app. Be assurred that the actual camera one was also adjusted.

Personally, the rendering engines are attempting to match the quality of a camera, hence the term "Photo Realistic". 

Absolutely I agree, I asked about photoshop because I thought your furniture and grass looked very good :)