1 minute ago, parkwest said:

I was enjoying working in PBR in the beta... never had an issue. 

However, I downloaded the final upgrade this morning from my digital locker and now all I get is white out blizzard conditions when I use the PBR.  I uploaded the latest driver for my video card as was suggested by tech support and tried all the different combinations of setting but still NO GO.

Strange thing is the PBR was working fine this morning before the final upload???

kitchen fog.jpg

try adjusting sunlight down to 2000 or even 500 is what I have been doing.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, parkwest said:

I was enjoying working in PBR in the beta... never had an issue. 

However, I downloaded the final upgrade this morning from my digital locker and now all I get is white out blizzard conditions when I use the PBR.  I uploaded the latest driver for my video card as was suggested by tech support and tried all the different combinations of setting but still NO GO.

Strange thing is the PBR was working fine this morning before the final upload???

kitchen fog.jpg

did you try the "fix" in post no# 43 and #46? works in the Beta....not sure about Full Release.

edit *** Have you changed the Default exposure or Brightness for PBR ? I am finding .25 EXP and 20 Brightness is nice for Interiors tonight.

M.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

did you try the "fix" in post no# 43 and #46? works in the Beta....not sure about Full Release.

edit *** Have you changed the Default exposure or Brightness for PBR ? I am finding .25 EXP and 20 Brightness is nice for Interiors tonight.

M.

Yes, I saw that earlier today and changed to 100 lights and the sun to 500 this morning.

I just used your settings with a new camera view and got good results after I turned the sun off.  I am going with your settings.  Thank you!

lights off.jpg

With the sun on everything had a green tint to it.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, parkwest said:

Yes, I saw that earlier today and changed to 100 lights this morning.

I just used your settings with a new camera view and got good results after I turned the sun off.  I am going with your settings.  Thank you!

With the sun on everything had a green tint to it.

I was just making some pics of the Settings actually as my "Fix" maybe a bit confusing for some....  just tried them in a Plan I recieved from another Forum User and all seems good so far.

77.thumb.PNG.27063f9fb91bb5bb8f828e18e0b0a364.PNG78.thumb.PNG.e50c58f5eaaad279f2ebe63bd2edf05e.PNG46.thumb.PNG.7eaf5d7d9aca16e3ab58a13888fd0dee.PNG

• Upvote 2

Having upgraded to the Full release Today and working on a Bathroom Reno , I am once again getting White Outs and BlackOuts etc despite the bathroom having 2  2'x4' Skylights in it and a placed wall Sconce so I don't get the Chief Default Light..... , sometimes moving the camera fixes it , other times toggling "use enhanced lighting" on/off does and sometimes I need to re-shot the Camera and start again. toggling Enhanced lighting Off sometimes get me the Backside of the Moon ...ie Pitch Black. Takes alot of messing around , it would almost be faster to RayTrace by the time I get a reasonable View.

Not sure if it is a Small Room Issue ? as I am having more luck in the Grandview Plan , with a wide View of the Kitchen, though Views are taking longer to Open, so I am guessing PBR RCSS are single threaded as I only seem to see 1 Core activate during view generation.

M.

11.thumb.PNG.4621f6cd71cfb07cd4008a95be09e973.PNG12.thumb.PNG.fbb762ff88066af2c2de70f5f59368b5.PNG13.thumb.PNG.ac14d5ed57febaa4ccd6d5539fd66349.PNG

On 2/15/2018 at 3:41 PM, Kbird1 said:

I think I may have figured it out this morning , at least in the Beta.... try this .....

if you use the Automatic light Set?   then set the Limit to 100 with Improve lighting Quality On

( 50 maybe enough in some plans , not in Grandview for me? ) , if left on the Default of 8, I can reproduce the White Out effect ...at least in the Grandview Plan ..still best to reshoot the View to fix it though as it seems to not like it if not reshot...I have set 100 in my Camera Defaults too now, to see if it continues or not , but need to test more to confirm if it works as maybe it is just a placebo or one off ?.

44.thumb.PNG.9cd5648dd7dec4f78ebaab6dfa97f517.PNG45.thumb.PNG.5568c8695163ea7870990e934444ade1.PNG77.thumb.PNG.4bc5eae8c603d86c31471c1ecb832f3f.PNG78.thumb.PNG.34234d1d37f33cddfc8452c4fa881382.PNG46.thumb.PNG.fe4b175251f928b2d4516ed931461e37.PNG

M

Thank you, that was very helpful.  I've changed my defaults for my main template.  If I can perfect it, it will save hours of RT.

Thanks Marc , I am just trying having my Default Full Camera set to Use PBR 1st instead of Standard View so I don't need to switch to PBR , as you maybe right , it is the switching from Standard to PBR that maybe screwing things Up for me.

It's working better than it was this morning but I see some strange reflections of Tile in the Toilet and bathtub and I guess the glass is stopping the Black Slate showing properly on the back wall like it does on the 1/2 wall.

M.

18.thumb.PNG.b1cba22784b2aa1113fef7645a1c4d26.PNG

Glad it's working for you , I'll be happy to get it working too ...if you are not aware because of the new PBR Mode they have changed how reflective material properties work and the options for them, the changes have also effected Ray traces , so they don't look as good as in X9.

There is a thread in the Chatroom about the Reflective Issues and a possible Fix.

11 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Thanks Marc , I am just trying having my Default Full Camera set to Use PBR 1st instead of Standard View so I don't need to switch to PBR , as you maybe right , it is the switching from Standard to PBR that maybe screwing things Up for me.

It's working better than it was this morning but I see some strange reflections of Tile in the Toilet and bathtub and I guess the glass is stopping the Black Slate showing properly on the back wall like it does on the 1/2 wall.

M.

18.thumb.PNG.b1cba22784b2aa1113fef7645a1c4d26.PNG

Those tile reflections in the tub/toilet are from the light coming through the skylight, hitting the floor and showing up in the reflective finish on the tub/toilet. If you change the sun angle you will see these move around. Suggest turning the sun down or change the reflective properties on the tub/toilet. Looks like the scene is being lit entirely by the sun, so as you turn down the sun the room will darken, counter this by turning up the Camera Exposure and/or Brightness in the PBR settings. Suspect the tiles are looking different primarily due to their reflective properties setting or if polished, those settings. Seems that with the PBR method there is a higher degree of sensitivity concerning a materials orientation in respect to the sun light striking it and the cameras angle. You can test this by changing the tile to a matt finish, 100% Rough, if it then shows consistent throughout the room then the reflective/polished properties need to be tweaked.

Here are two X10 PBR scenes of a basement fireplace/TV wall unit currently under design..

5a8c322f974a7_WallUnit5f_PBR_1200.thumb.png.88b44aa76eedb3802443334b26ea1815.png

5a8c3232269c8_WallUnit5h_PBR_1200.thumb.png.e778a517f0f635695a8f004978286567.png

I'm finding, as with Ray Tracing, attention to lighting and material properties are just as important. The advantage is that the changes are seen within about 10 seconds. What I'm not pleased with is the reflective(specular) and/or polished materials, so far it has been extremely difficult to obtain satisfactory results where the material looks correct under differing camera view angles and material orientation.

Have you all experienced that if a scene looks good in PBR it doesn't necessarily mean it will look good in RT? Actually most of the times its not even close?

I am having to duplicate my plan, one specifically for PBR the other for RT, if I want to RT off course. 

6 minutes ago, rispgiu said:

Have you all experienced that if a scene looks good in PBR it doesn't necessarily mean it will look good in RT? Actually most of the times its not even close?

I am having to duplicate my plan, one specifically for PBR the other for RT, if I want to RT off course. 

Yes, I'm finding this to be the case. Lights and materials seem to need specific adjustment for either PBR or Ray Tracing. I believe this is due to the fact that PBR takes into consideration the effect the sun has on interior ambient light level and direction. Ray Trace does not have this capability, so it primarily works with only the light from the light sources  within the room.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, rispgiu said:

If you have PBR working good, why would you want to do a ray trace?

4 minutes ago, parkwest said:

Don’t give me wrong, I’m enjoying PBR, it’s speed, being able to see almost in real time what’s happening etc. but I still think RT provides a higher quality photo with more details and realistic looks.

So I would have preferred if it worked in such a way that PBR would have allowed you to see what it looks like with decente results and for some people that’s good enough and RT would have been a step up from there without the need of setting up a copy of the plan with different materials settings, lights, etc.

3 minutes ago, parkwest said:

So far PBR results have been all over the map, including my own. I'm finding it to be a mixed bag, there are things in the PBR that I like and then some that I don't. I'm in the camp with rispgiu, was hoping that PBR would provide a faster way to make material adjustments and then if needed we could Ray Trace the scene for even better results. Looks like this is not going to be the case and I suspect in the long run Ray Trace will be dropped and PBR will be CA's sole rendering system.

5 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Those tile reflections in the tub/toilet are from the light coming through the skylight, hitting the floor and showing up in the reflective finish on the tub/toilet. If you change the sun angle you will see these move around. Suggest turning the sun down or change the reflective properties on the tub/toilet. Looks like the scene is being lit entirely by the sun, so as you turn down the sun the room will darken, counter this by turning up the Camera Exposure and/or Brightness in the PBR settings. Suspect the tiles are looking different primarily due to their reflective properties setting or if polished, those settings. Seems that with the PBR method there is a higher degree of sensitivity concerning a materials orientation in respect to the sun light striking it and the cameras angle. You can test this by changing the tile to a matt finish, 100% Rough, if it then shows consistent throughout the room then the reflective/polished properties need to be tweaked.

Thanks Graham , great advice , I had not played around with the View at that Point I was just happy to get it working :)  , it's the Existing Bathroom so I didn't play around much yet as it is getting torn out.... so far I just added a small (working) light inside the Vanity Light to stop the Auto light blowing the view with it centered on the room ceiling next to the Skylight

M.

3 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Here are two X10 PBR scenes of a basement fireplace/TV wall unit currently under design..

5a8c322f974a7_WallUnit5f_PBR_1200.thumb.png.88b44aa76eedb3802443334b26ea1815.png

5a8c3232269c8_WallUnit5h_PBR_1200.thumb.png.e778a517f0f635695a8f004978286567.png

I'm finding, as with Ray Tracing, attention to lighting and material properties are just as important. The advantage is that the changes are seen within about 10 seconds. What I'm not pleased with is the reflective(specular) and/or polished materials, so far it has been extremely difficult to obtain satisfactory results where the material looks correct under differing camera view angles and material orientation.

This is what I am finding too , the suggestion by Brian just doesn't work well enough in my playing around so far with it (ie 100% specular 0% roughness I think? )

M.

39 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

This is what I am finding too , the suggestion by Brian just doesn't work well enough in my playing around so far with it (ie 100% specular 0% roughness I think? )

M.

Here s another example, I have adjusted the wood polished settings to obtain a level of sheen.

5a8c763e6461d_Untitled1_PBR_1845.thumb.png.bd23f5ad3d51dba0879ea967fd8ae500.png

Specular - 0%

U Roughness - 15%

V Roughness - 15%

It should be noted that the polished look is significantly impacted on the sun intensity setting. In this scene the sun is set at 10,000 Lux. For a given polished setting, reducing the sun intensity reduces the polished effect, increasing the suns intensity increases the polished effect. Changing the sun intensity too much in either direction will destroy the polished look, the polished property settings would need to be adjusted to compensate for the sun intensities effect on this.

• Upvote 1