Black Spots in ray trace

pgjacob

I see Black in PBR but not RT in X10 but the the latest driver is not best for everyone and we don't have any of pgjacob's details ...yet...it's good to have your Forum Signature filled in please, especially with the Software Version, and of course a Name is nice too :) ..............see mine below in Blue for how to do that.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16205-nvidia-driver-3880-and-up-possible-fix/

a very good X9 raytrace thread.....x10Beta has lost the ability to use reflective materials btw due to the new PBR View.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/14512-lets-ray-trace/

Thanks

I have updated my signature.  Just got a new MSI gaming laptop, I sure hope it's not the video card....I checked the CA recommended settings and user forum for best computer and showed to Best Buy guy.  I tried another ray trace of another plan and added a tree and it looked finel  Maybe I had too many trees with too many leaves?  Doesn't do this when photon mapping off.  

Not the VideoCard itself, you have a good one but the particular Driver may cause Issues ( ie the 388.xx Series) especially on Laptops as they usually use the Laptop version of the Driver, which is different than the Desktop Version Perry and I use. If you can't access the Label Tab in some DBX's that is another symptom of the Issue.

Windows Update will normally ensure you havethe latest Drivers in Win10.... (390.77 is the latest) but that's not always a good thing as other have found out.

The 390.xx series Drivers seem much better however....

I just went back to 382.05 Last night but haven't test PBR this morning etc yet.

PS nice Sig. M. :)

M.

Thanks,

I have updated the driver but still same problem.  I have removed trees for photon mapping.  I will check with CA tech support to see as well.  But thanks for feedback.

Since everyone was so helpful...I am working on a 3 story + rooftop deck structure.  It is obviously very tall, and I am wondering if there is a way to change the ray trace to portrait vs. landscape.  I have alot of wasted space on the side in landscape orientation,

As well, any tips to flesh out the background.  The terrain kind of just ends.  I added in a pic from google maps of the location, but thought there may be more that I could do,  I just feel like these could look more realistic.  They seem kind of flat...

Thanks!

front left.jpg

front cisco.jpg

yes, support suggested using 3D trees.  I guess I was using 2D.  They also suggested moving the camera away from the scene, or turn off photon mapping.  Thanks for the links.  I knew I saw 3D trees somewhere.  I am downloading now.  I am glad it is something that can be somewhat fixed.

Thanks!

In X10 you could try the new PBR Camera too , similar and faster than RT , but has some downside too currently.

RT in X10 does not have great reflective qualities eg on Glass and PBR has similar issues with Glass currently too.... PBR views for me vary greatly and sometimes it only takes a step sideways of 12"-18" one way or the other to "Correct" it. But they are much faster so easy to try out.

19 hours ago, pgjacob said:

Since everyone was so helpful...I am working on a 3 story + rooftop deck structure.  It is obviously very tall, and I am wondering if there is a way to change the ray trace to portrait vs. landscape.  I have alot of wasted space on the side in landscape orientation,

It would be nice if Chief would let us select an area of a camera

view to ray trace. Like the Windows Snipping Tool just drag a box

to define the view. Until that happens you can use a window like

the Library Browser to adjust the shape of your ray trace camera

view to any orientation you desire.

Image2.png