Just got sent a Chief file V9.54 - can I use this?

OldCKD

I'm on X6, how do I get this file to work for me so I don't have to re-draft the whole darned thing?  Local builder I'm working with is still using that version, I've never tried to import an ancient Chief file before :huh:   It says it can't be opened, now what?

Also, I was sent multiple files, all with different extensions - j.pB0, 1 etc. Not sure what to make of that.  

I entered Chief World at X3, this is all greek to me!

I'm on X6, how do I get this file to work for me so I don't have to re-draft the whole darned thing?  Local builder I'm working with is still using that version, I've never tried to import an ancient Chief file before :huh:   It says it can't be opened, now what?

Also, I was sent multiple files, all with different extensions - j.pB0, 1 etc. Not sure what to make of that.  

I entered Chief World at X3, this is all greek to me!

If you still have X3 downloaded did you try to open it with that??  If you can, open it AND save it with X3 and then open that new file with X6.  Just an idea.

Early versions of Chief had different file extensions for each floor. ie, each floor had it's own plan file (eg, planname.pl1, Planname.pl2, etc).

Layout files had a .la_ extension.

My memory is being stretched, but I think that the .pb_ extension was a plan backup file.

I am pretty sure you can still open the .pl1 files in X6 - but not the other .pl_ plans. 

I know for sure that Chief 10 can open .pl1 files as I still have that version loaded and working.

If you can't open the files in X6, you can send them to me and I will open them in V10 and migrate them to X6.

It should be as easy as File > Open Plan. Browse to where you saved the file and open it.

The older versions broke up each floor into separate files. Make sure all the files are in that same folder.

X6 should be able to open files all the way back to version 7 (maybe 6) I can't remember which. Version 7 is the version we recommend for opening earlier files.

Ok at my request he just sent me a new file with a different file extension that X6 did open.  I think he sent me the wrong thing previously.  And yes, it appears each floor, elevation etc are all separate files - what a pain!  It's so much better now.

It looks weird and primitive but I've dragged a few things around and I can makes changes.  Now if I can only get it to *look* like X6 I'm a happy camper  :rolleyes:

Thanks everybody!

To get it to 'look' like an X6 file you can do a couple of things:

1. Import all f your X6 defaults into the plan,

2. Copy/ paste hold the entire plan into an empty X6 template plan.  This is probably the best approach.  A little housekeeping before you copy/paste the plan into the X6 template will make the process go smoother.  Clean up the old plan layers, purge the materials, and any unused wall types.  Set up the template plan with the correct floor/ceiling defaults to match the old plan and it should move over fairly well.