Ray trace window sizing

limitless8

So simple I think question that I can't figure out, for example I split my 4k screen into two screens, in one 'screen' I have a ray trace scene ready, and let's say its 2000*1000 pixels, and I want to increase the pixel density, meaning make it a truly 4k image, but I don't want my scene view to expand?  I've tried to figure this out and in the ray trace window I would put in new values, but in the end the ray trace scene view would expand... not sure if I made sense...Basically let's say I want to ray trace the view of a table, and when I increase the pixels to 4k it ends up including the neighboring cabinet that wasn't in the original window. I don't want the field of view to expand, rather pack more pixels in the current camera view/active window.

Any and all help much appreciated!

There are a lot of resolution issues I am still trying to figure out as the DBX's are very uninformative or misleading or even completely dysfunctional.  However it often comes down to your screen resolution and view port size so I would start with that if the DBX is not giving you what you want.  Just for that reason alone it would be great to have a full screen hot key.

I'm running at nearly 4k (3440*1440), and yeah it's frustrating, because I want a specific view point to come out at 4k, for example a detailed view from behind the couches...and when i run 4k suddenly I end up seeing the whole living room side to side....surely there has to be a solution

I have the same issue sometimes and cropping in a Photo Editor is the easiest solution , though it may not be 4k ... but most don't use 4k for viewing Images anyway eg if sending to Clients, if you want full screen 4k for your Office or something that is different.

M.

If I'm understanding this correctly I believe that to solve the issue you must set the height & width pixel setting in Ray Trace to be at the same height & width ratio as your window is (bottom/right corner). If my window is say 1200 X 600 then to get the same in a Ray Trace but higher resolution The Ray Trace must be say 2400 X 1200 or 3600 X 1800, the width is always twice the height. This way the scene seen in the camera view will always be the same in a Ray Trace.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, limitless8 said:

So simple I think question that I can't figure out, for example I split my 4k screen into two screens, in one 'screen' I have a ray trace scene ready, and let's say its 2000*1000 pixels, and I want to increase the pixel density, meaning make it a truly 4k image, but I don't want my scene view to expand?  I've tried to figure this out and in the ray trace window I would put in new values, but in the end the ray trace scene view would expand... not sure if I made sense...Basically let's say I want to ray trace the view of a table, and when I increase the pixels to 4k it ends up including the neighboring cabinet that wasn't in the original window. I don't want the field of view to expand, rather pack more pixels in the current camera view/active window.

Any and all help much appreciated!

I could be missing something here but it sounds to me like you're just trying to increase the resolution right?  So, just bump up your resolution setting to double it.

18 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

If I'm understanding this correctly I believe that to solve the issue you must set the height & width pixel setting in Ray Trace to be at the same height & width ratio as your window is (bottom/right corner). If my window is say 1200 X 600 then to get the same in a Ray Trace but higher resolution The Ray Trace must be say 2400 X 1200 or 3600 X 1800, the width is always twice the height. This way the scene seen in the camera view will always be the same in a Ray Trace.

Graham is right , (thanks for the Tip G.), if you set your camera view Window to 1720 x720 , (resize Chief or use the Project browser to make the View Window smaller) , you will have the same view as the Ray Trace at 3440 x 1440 .

• Upvote 1

Thank you everybody for the help!  I was trying to increase resolution without the scene expanding, meaning if split my screen and the view I am going to ray trace is 1618*1181, I would increase the resolution, but at the same time it would increase the field of view...for example if the scene that I want to trace has a view of the fireplace/couches, and I don't want the side walls to be seen or the door or the window on the left, I focus the camera on the fireplace and so on, but I want the image at a higher resolution.

I am currently trying the advice given by just doubling the resolution in accordance with the window size and hoping it won't include any extra areas of the living room.

First pass just finished, and I want to say thank you, thank you, and thank you again!  Doubling the active window size in resolution solved the problem enabling to capture the scene the way I wanted to at a higher resolution!

Once again everybody at chieftalk are the best!

If you want a better picture there is no substitute in Ray Trace for the Number of Passes made , more is always better, ie 20-50 is going to look better than 10-15 passes particularly at 4k resolution , I am not sure how many passes would be needed before you hit the Law of diminishing Returns though , Graham may have more info on that?

M.

4 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

If you want a better picture there is no substitute in Ray Trace for the Number of Passes made , more is always better, ie 20-50 is going to look better than 10-15 passes particularly at 4k resolution , I am not sure how many passes would be needed before you hit the Law of diminishing Returns though , Graham may have more info on that?

M.

That's a tough one to provide a definitive answer to. I've found it seems to be finding the right combination depending upon pic size and passes. Having said that, I generally find that increasing the pic size tends to produce a sharper/crisper output while increasing the passes refines the more subtle lighting and grain reduction. Grain reduction is most important if you have photon mapping turned on. For any given pic size I will often use the magnifier and double the image size while Ray Tracing and then check around to see when surfaces are devoid or graininess, once this is gone then I consider this to be the limit on the number of passes. As for pic size the big issue is that doubling your width and height will quadruple your Ray Trace time per pass, it's a huge time penalty. However, some of this time can be recovered as it is not always necessary to run as many passes on these larger pixel pics. 

My overall guiding light in this is to not have my per pass time any greater than 30 sec and my total passes no more than 50. This means I need to get a reasonably clean scene in 25 minutes or less. I also want within 2-3 passes sufficient quality in order to know if something needs to be changed, it's just not efficient to have to wait an hour only to realize that a light is too bright and then have to go through the whole process again.

The other consideration is, what does the client need. As we are doing this all the time it's easy for us to see the differences, keep in mind that we often have something to compare to as we flip back and forth between the same scene run at different settings. Clients only see a single version and only have this to make their judgment upon. It's highly unlikely that a client is going to appreciate or really care whether the counter top reflection is at 10% or 20%, especially if it takes 2 hours of tweaking around in pursuit of perfection.

11 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Grain reduction is most important if you have photon mapping turned on

I should of  been clearer , this is what I was "alluding" to above :) , as I usually have Photo Mapping on (Caustics Off) , I have my Default RT set at 10 passes so I get a reasonable Image and if I think I need too try it again at 30 passes and then 50 , but have found the difference between 30 and 50 can be pretty subtle depending on the View.

After looking at Formz's Vray page the Other day I am wishing CA hadn't discarded export to VRay, might be to tough to achieve their Results of course , I'm thinking it isn't exactly push button , Done , either :)

http://www.formz.com/products/vray_formz.html

M.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

I should of  been clearer , this is what I was "alluding" to above :) , as I usually have Photo Mapping on (Caustics Off) , I have my Default RT set at 10 passes so I get a reasonable Image and if I think I need too try it again at 30 passes and then 50 , but have found the difference between 30 and 50 can be pretty subtle depending on the View.

After looking at Formz's Vray page the Other day I am wishing CA hadn't discarded export to VRay, might be to tough to achieve their Results of course , I'm thinking it isn't exactly push button , Done , either :)

http://www.formz.com/products/vray_formz.html

M.

I also run most scenes with Photon Mapping on and agree that once 30 passes has been reached another 20 is not likely going to make a big difference. If the scene is still very grainy then It's likely a material and/or lighting condition that needs to be corrected. Too many polished materials seem to be the best place to look, especially if you have both vertical and horizontal polished surfaces. You can often see when using a polished stainless steel material on a fridge and the floor is also a polished material. The polished stainless fridge finish can show a lot of grain and can take a large number of passes to clean-up. I posted in the past some examples of this grain issue using the Fire-Ice-Kitchen sample.

Here they are.

5 passes

5a809bf98ce85_Abode_Fire-ice-kitchen_5passes_lzn.thumb.jpg.a22ad519606365e4d6bf6708cba1ac26.jpg

50 passes

5a809bfba1c9e_Abode_Fire-ice-kitchen_50passes_lzn.thumb.jpg.cb830e8867b5e9c31c74116f4f40e114.jpg

100 passes

5a809bfd8e8d6_Abode_Fire-ice-kitchen_100passes_lzn.thumb.jpg.e66e1e87e129b1881f05f5f698035944.jpg

2700 passes

5a809bff3dcca_Abode_Fire-ice-kitchen_2700passes_lzn.thumb.jpg.26c018a1c4201986560888cf417c49c8.jpg

2700 passes ? ekkkk ! ....did you go on vacation while that run ?  :) 

good illustration for the passes needed though, you can see the cleanup in the Fridge between 50 and 100 but little else in the Scene except the Floor ..... nice work as usual though.....

• 2 years later...

I was wondering how do your renderings happen so quickly. 10 passes, even 30 passes takes a long time! For raytraces,

1. What is your W x H x resolution set at? 

2. Ambient Lighting ?(Uniform or Ambient occlusion)

3. Direct Sunlight? Enabled?