Stringer vs Carriage

Ok, people now is your opportunity to help me determine whether I am crazy or just insane. I have always been under the impression that a stair stringer and stair carriage were the sasme things. I have seen details labeled both ways.  Now, I have a client who keeps send me the plans back for frivolous nitpicking changes. The past two times he keeps saying he wants a carriage detail of the stairs. I have  tried to be nice and tried to offer different details, but today I got the plans sent back again with just this one little items: ":Please show carriage detail". Pardon my my language but...Damn, I even looked online to see if I am totally off my rockers and don't understand what a nasty stair carriage is, but every blasted one I see uses the same terminology interchangeable. So, someone please tell me if there is a secrete stair carriage detail out there floating around that I have totally missed or what. Thanks.

Never heard that term before , however there are so many items that have diffrent wording , which can be very annoying , especially when you are searching . If the stair stringer is smaller then a 2x12 & the rise is to large , that would make the stair carriage  ( NEW TERM LOL ) not wide enough  or strong enough THERE IS A SECTION IN THE IRC CODE ABOUT THAT  . 

Plus i wouldnt agree with that term stair carriage IT SHOULD BE CALLED STRINGER CARRIAGE imo. I can not see why this detail is nessacery is he paying for nitpicking details ??? Just put a verbal clause all STAIR STRINGERS to meet  IRC code & have req. simpson connections .

type in structure magazine  / wood frame stair structure design , THEY CALL  THE CARRIAGE THE THROAT . aFTER SEARCHING SOME OF THIS HE MIGHT NOT BE NITPICKING FROM A BUEROCRATEIC STAND POINT!!!!!!!!

Thank you  both, I can see now that I am not insane, just going a little crazy. Yes the guy is nitpicking...even the structural engineer I'm working with is getting annoyed at this guy. I am hoping this graphic will be to  his satisfaction. Although I am not sure he will. Thanks again, you've been quite helpful..

I think your original assumption was correct in that the terms carriage and stringer are interchangeable.  It seems like perhaps the client just wants a detailed section similar to what Jerry posted with the stringer depth, rise, run, stair nosing, etc. all properly dimensioned and labeled. 

These days the Term are interchangeable but way back when, the Carriage was the 2x Structural part of the Staircase and the Stringer the 1x decorative Element above it . What was called the Stringer then, here at least, is call a (Stair) Kick which is basically the Staircase Baseboard.

Maybe they have a Building Dept that requires the "Stringer" be labelled Carriage ? which maybe due to References in the Code that applies locally? ( I saw it mentioned on a Forum for Student Architect's too , noboby knew what the Carriage was)

Oh beaten too it :)

01.png

Stringer,Carriage Etc, I'm in Central Va. and since I have been working in Residential construction back in the dark ages, starting in1970 we always called the "Carriage" board a Stair Horse and the "Stringer" a Shirt Board.

I guess another example of different terminology in different parts of the country.

TGIF,Everyone have a great Week End,Ken

• 2 months later...