U-Stairs with a step in the landing

Vermontbuilder

If you use the standard way to make a “U” shape staircase, which is to draw two straight stairs parallel to each other but in opposite directions and then click where the landing should go, then....

First, open your landing and copy the landing height. 

Second, copy in place your landing and adjust by bringing each landing back to the middle point of your staircase. 

At first this will cause one of the landings to drop down to the floor and bring with it the attached stairs. 

At this point open up the offending landing and paste the landing height you copied earlier and add to it a riser height. 

This will pop the landing along with its attached stairs back to the proper height. 

o5a7b7f722402f_screenshot2018-02-0717_35_07.thumb.png.30fc46743e763c49c5e38cf91c63d56f.png

• Upvote 1

Michael's method is good but results in adding another riser to the total between-floors run of the staircase.  The reason I have had to split a landing is to save space or lower the bottom run for headroom reasons.

Do the sequence as Michael shows, but then shorten the upper flight by one tread.  Now you'll have the pitch the same for both flights.

The split landing can be anywhere along the total stair run.  One can go two steps down to landing 1, then maybe 11 steps down from landing 2 to the floor below.  Arrange it all to suit your spaces.

• 9 months later...
13 hours ago, RJBPILOT said:

Trying to get stairs to 3rd floor.  Stair tool will not go from second floor landing to 3rd floor landing..... 

Thanks for any help

Ames Barn.plan

I think you have your Floor levels mixed up as I see the Foundation Level Named Basement  and there is no 2nd or 3rd Floor in the Plan.

If the Concrete Block Level is in fact above Ground then Insert a Floor Below it so you have a Foundation Level. (Level 0 is always Foundation)

The 3rd level in the Plan is A (Attic) which is why the StairTool won't go up there , if you want a 3rd Floor with Rooms in the Attic make an Extra Floor with a 0" Ceiling height,

and check ignore Top Level when you rebuild the Roof, turn off Auto Roofs and the reset the Ceiling Height to your desired height.

this is the Technique: https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00772/building-a-cape-cod-roof-by-adjusting-ceiling-heights.html

Thanks much,  but I need it open below like the image.....  I modified yours but I can not get my stair tool to draw mine.   Did you start the stair on floor 0 or floor 1?  It has to have invisible railings to be out in the open air and go up to the landing off of the attic space. 

stairs.jpg

If I draw from floor 0 it lowers the landing and tries to just go to the floor 1.

If it draw from floor 1 it justs starts from floor 0.........   I made a full upstairs on floor 2 as you did but it does not go there....  how do I get the third flight of stairs to start at second landing to go to floor 2 without changing the landing height at floor 1?

from floor 0.jpg

from floor 1.jpg

48 minutes ago, RJBPILOT said:

KBird1,  I don't think the label matters,  as you can see my plan has floors 0, 1 and 2 which is the attic space where the third stair is going to.

It's not about YOUR Room Label.....but Chief uses Levels like A for certain things. So it does matter, Chief won't allow Rooms on A level by default....Chief doesn't think of A as a Floor "level" hence no auto stairs, as it needs a Level (floor) above to do that.

13 minutes ago, RJBPILOT said:

Mark3d ,  Thanks for the help......  I just set the heights manually for the third flight.  But I would be interested in knowing how you got the third flight to draw from the second landing..

If you read his Post again you will see he ADDED another Floor level as I suggested too...

image.thumb.png.6eac606a94ee1de27eb99cbf9d9faf4b.png

Check Chief Architect X10 Reference Manual Page 722 ...The Attic Floor

If you wish to create an attic loft, bonus
room, or storage area in your plan, you will
need do so on a numbered floor level.

Actually he just made the second floor a full floor.....not open below like my original.   The label is the same and so are the floor numbers on his alteration.  Exactly as mine.... He did not ADD as floor as you suggested.....  both plans are 0,1 and 2.   Both plans have 0 labeled as Basement.   So I fail to see how your point is valid.  I deleted the open below on my floor 2 as Mark did  and made it a full floor.  My problem was drawing the stair from the 2nd  landing to the floor two (a numbered floor bonus room)..... The only way I could make it work was to manually adjust the stair heights.   Thanks for the input and assistance.

41 minutes ago, RJBPILOT said:

Actually he just made the second floor a full floor.....not open below like my original. 

I don't want to argue about it , but look again, he added a whole 2nd level (3rd floor in your plan) that your plan does not have.....ie. you have 0,1,A  he has 0,1,2,A

Mine BTW has 0,1,2,3,A , as it is Built using Chief's normal paradigms.... as I noted above, but you can do it any number of ways, but you may run into unexpected issues , especially if you try to use A for anything but what Chief expects...as no Rooms can be created on A , so you can't use Open to below if desired, no flooring can seen etc etc.

image.thumb.png.ee4b0c4ae05aad8d50d7ab6a0e6c857c.png      Is my plan perfect , probably not but here you go...... Ames Barn_MHD.plan