Roof Sofit Location

postandbeam

My roof soffits are "floating" below my facia by a few inches (flat soffit, plumb cut rafters).  I have a steep roof pitch with tall rafters, and it appears that the soffit is automatically placed under the theoretical point of the bottom of a plumb cut rafter.  I would like the soffit to be higher up (in the field, I would trim the point (bottom triangle) off the rafter so that the facia isn't very tall.  Is there a way to do that in Chief X9?  There is an attached image of my Chief generated section and a 3D view of how the soffit currently shows.

Thanks

ChiefX9Soffit.JPG

ChiefX9Soffit2.JPG

I responded before seeing Chopsaw's note.  The option to "Trim Framing To Soffits" is greyed out.  I poked around trying to see if I could make other selections that would enable the checkbox, but haven't been successful, any recommendations of what to try? (image of my DBX attached)

ChiefX9Soffit4.JPG

Post (attach) the Plan file while it is closed in CA and someone will figure it out for you....

Also, it's good to have your Forum Signature filled in please, especially with the Software Version,
and of course a Name is nice too :) ..............see mine below in Blue for how to do that.

Wow, not sure I understand the "Why?"  justmejerry's note to change the material of my rafters from my own "Fir" material to built-in "Fir Framing" now allows me to "Trim Soffit To Framing" and the roof framing now builds (I posted a separate question about not being able to get framing to build."

Why would a material choice change those things?

Alaskan_Son- I can't get your video to play, but am working on it.  Can't thank you all enough for the help...

You can Frame with your own Materials , for example I made a Spruce Library for myself , you just need to make sure the Material Type is set to Framing.

Also Note that if you do so, while the "Spruce" will show in the Framing Schedule , in the Materials List , (if you use?) it will still call it Fir. T.S.upport has told me this is because the ML has the FIR name Hard-coded into it and they currently don't plan to change that.

14.thumb.PNG.033991939d3b74f3a3a4a580e9d5b885.PNG12.thumb.PNG.2ac3d5d565b13389c5833f79e8143383.PNG13.thumb.PNG.646b6485b50c3fd70f939709799fa50a.PNG15.thumb.PNG.b2488420cf4662b64b5ebd0af5144f0d.PNG

PS in Micheal video overview it looked like your Roof Planes may not be joined Properly ...looked like something was sticking up...

• Upvote 1