Exposed Rafters

Designer1

I havent had to use this option in many chief versions and thus things have changed.  What is the best and quickest way to create exposed rafters?  Im looking for something quick for RT not for full framing and CD creation.

Thanks!

Chad

2 hours ago, Designer1 said:

I havent had to use this option in many chief versions and thus things have changed.  What is the best and quickest way to create exposed rafters?  Im looking for something quick for RT not for full framing and CD creation.

Thanks!

Chad

Chad, if you like and have time, I could show you a quick way to show exposed rafters in a couple of minutes. I could show you via Skype or Team Viewer. If interested, I could do it in the morning. I have a long meeting tomorrow afternoon with a client and my engineer. This would only take a few minutes...better than spending time reading. I always feel one on one help in person or on line is great especially when you can watch. Anyway, I'll help if you wish. Oh yea, if interested, call my cell 832-754-6160

Tommy, thank you so much for the generous offer, you clearly go above and beyond the normal level of help offered and I greatly appreciate it.  I dont want anyone spending extra time on this though on my behalf, so tonight Im going to just read the article and play around the with the roof functions and figure it out. I know its chief so even though its much different then past versions I can probably get it to look the way I want.  Thanks again for being so nice! :)  I will pay the kindness forward to another in need if I am able to help them, thanks again.

Chad

I finally got the rafters to look decent but did notice that the wood for the roofing looks unfinished with the wood finish and I cannot paint it.  I also noticed you can see through the roof in between the rafters.  Is there a selection on the roof dbx that fills this in?

Thanks!

Chad

Rafters.jpg

Normally a roof with open rafters like that would have blocking installed over the wall plate and block the spaces this should mostly fill in with the correct settings and auto roof framing but can be added manually for other situations.  There are a few specialized workarounds for hiding the roof sheeting but the simplest thing in your case would be to change the material in the roof DBX. If you get stuck give Tommy a call and take him up on his amazing offer before it expires, you will learn a lot.

Thanks Chopsaw for letting me know... I just wanted to know that there actually was a selection on the roof DBX that takes care of this.  I didnt realize there were so many changes with the roofing dbx since I normally dont deal with this type of roofing type.  Yes, I think if I continue having roof issues I might have to schedule something with Tommy.  Thanks for the reply!