opening older version

Garreth

Hi all anyone experiencing an issue when opening an older plan version.

I have downloaded cheif x10 beta and checked a few things so all good whilst also keeping the x8 version.

Also tried to keep everything separate , new jobs in x10 and old jobs in x8 etc.

It just so happens that when trying to open older x8 file a window pops up requesting permission to upgrade x8 to newer version (x8).

I have gone thru process of choosing no  on one occassion and then choosing yes on another but with no success.

Attached screenshots describe situation.

My problem now is that i have an x8 file that i want to open in x8 but cant.

Any thoughts.

Do i have to remove x10beta off system??

Or is there some low level tweak.

I could then just convert x8 file to x10 beta but don't want to as our computers are not upto spec for hardware requirements...

Any advice appreciated.

thanks

If you navigate to where you have the plan file stored and right click, does it give you the option of  "Open With" or if you have several versions active you can turn on the Chief Architect Startup Options and it will keep track of a specified number of recent files for you.

It would be nice if the software was smart enough to know that you have already upgraded as well as associating plan files with the version of the software they were created in unless manually overridden.  Maybe some day.

Ok sorry,  Had to re read your post and it sounds like you may have opened the X8 file in X10 and now it will not open in X8.

There should be a copy of the X8 file still in your Chief Architect Premier X10 Data > Archives Folder found normally in Doccuments.

2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Ok sorry,  Had to re read your post and it sounds like you may have opened the X8 file in X10 and now it will not open in X8.

There should be a copy of the X8 file still in your Chief Architect Premier X10 Data > Archives Folder found normally in Doccuments.

If you saved it in X10 you can no longer Open it in X8 so either follow Chopsaw's advice above or replace the File from one of your Own backups....you do backup right :)

In X8 in Preferences turn off the Update Check under General ie make it 0 to stop it asking every time you open X8

Hi all anyone experiencing an issue when opening an older plan version.

I have downloaded cheif x10 beta and checked a few things so all good whilst also keeping the x8 version.

Also tried to keep everything separate , new jobs in x10 and old jobs in x8 etc.

Doing new projects in X10 and keeping your older projects in X8 is a perfectly fine strategy.  We work very hard to try and make sure that legacy plans will come forward with very few problems but they can sometimes happen.  The older the plan file the more likely you will see problems.

It just so happens that when trying to open older x8 file a window pops up requesting permission to upgrade x8 to newer version (x8).

I have gone thru process of choosing no  on one occassion and then choosing yes on another but with no success.

Attached screenshots describe situation.

Your screenshots are missing so I can only guess what you are seeing.

If you see this message when you launch X8:

update message.png

This means that you are not using the latest version of X8.  You should download and install the update.  Once you are using the latest version, you should not see this message again.

If you see this message when you launch X8:

upgrade message.png

This is just informing you that a new version is available.  Since you already have X0, you should check the "Do not show this message again" box and then click "No".  This message will not show up again unless you reset your message boxes in your preferences.

My problem now is that i have an x8 file that i want to open in x8 but cant.

Why not?  Are you trying to open the file from the program or are you trying to open it from Windows Explorer? 

If you are trying to open the plan from Windows Explorer, you may have issues because of Windows file associations.  A file type can only be associated with one program and there is no way to associate X8 files with X8 and X10 files with X10.  I recommend that you only open the X8 files from within the program to avoid this problem.

Another possibility is that you accidently saved the X8 file using X10.  X8 will not be able to open any files that have been saved by X10.  The program will automatically create a backup of the original X8 file for you when do this.  You should get a message if you do this explaining where the program saved the backup.  The message looks something like this:

saving in new version message.png

Do i have to remove x10beta off system??

No.  You should be able to continue to use X8 and X10 on the same system.  I recommend that you develop a file management strategy that allows you to keep your plans separate and avoid any confusion.

Any advice appreciated.

If all else fails, contact our technical support department for more help.

In X8 in Preferences turn off the Update Check under General ie make it 0 to stop it asking every time you open X8

I do not recommend this.  This message is telling you that you are not using the latest version of X8 and an update is available.  The update probably has some very useful things like fixes for crashes or other program bugs.  Not using the latest version is only going to make your life harder, not easier.  You should download and install the latest update and the message will then go away.  Turning off the preference will then prevent you from getting any future messages if we ever need to update the older version again. 

3 hours ago, Dermot said:

I do not recommend this.  This message is telling you that you are not using the latest version of X8 and an update is available.  The update probably has some very useful things like fixes for crashes or other program bugs.  Not using the latest version is only going to make your life harder, not easier.  You should download and install the latest update and the message will then go away.  Turning off the preference will then prevent you from getting any future messages if we ever need to update the older version again. 

I do it in X9, as some people are having issues after loading the .8 Update ,despite it supposedly only being a change to a single Menu Item for Rental Users, so I have not installed it and don't have the issues reported. There appears to be no Update log for .8 so I am not sure what else it actually does or if something got broken?

M

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

There are no known issues with the 19.3.1.8 update.

The latest update available is always the one you should be using for every version of Chief Architect. 

So you say but I and Others know better, I read a lot of Posts here ...... in particular when in combo with the wrong Nvidia Drivers.....Which I have started a thread for to help those Users , I know you are aware of that Issue.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16205-nvidia-driver-3880-and-up-possible-fix/

I was waiting for .9 but I am not so sure that will be released now X10 is out.

• Downvote 1