Building a tapered paneled column?

Larry_Sweeney

Building a tapered column in CA is fairly simple using a molding, but is there a process in CA where you can build a tapered paneled column? I've been playing around with some ideas but I'm getting nowhere. Since I've found nothing in the knowledge base or a video anywhere, I'm assuming it can't be done easily in CA or maybe not at all. I know someone will say to make it in Sketchup, but I haven't worked in the program for three or four years and there will be the "relearning curve" to deal with. Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Eric...........To be honest I didn't realize I could make a truncated pyramid in CA, which I was trying to do with using p-solids to no avail. I understand your method completely now. I have one question about making a truncated pyramid. If I wanted one 5 1/2" square at the bottom, 4 1/2" square at the top and a height of 57 1/4", how would I arrive at those numbers other than by trial and error? The way I found the correct size was by playing with the "apex" number, which ends up being 312" with the base shape defined by the side length of 5 1/2". I derived this number by trial and error. Is there a formula for figuring this out or is "trial and error" the only method to use in CA? Thanks again for the info. It's much appreciated.

Use the math...

5.50" base

4.50" at top

57.25" tall

You are looking for the sides to slope in 0.50" over 57.25" right?  And in order to reach the apex, the side would need to slope 2.75" (5.50"/2) right?

57.25 / 0.50 = 114.50 (this number essentially represents your slope 57.25 in 0.50 or 114.50 in 1.00)

114.5 x 2.75 = 314.875 or 314 7/8" (this number represents where that same slope reaches the apex)

In other words you are going up 57 1/2" and over 1/2".  This is equivalent to going up 114 1/2" and over 1".  We just needed to find out how far up we needed to go to reach the center of the post or 2 3/4", so we needed to go up 114 1/2" 2.75 times.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Michael.....................Thank you! I "filed" that. Have a great day

You’re welcome.  For those less mathematically inclined you can also figure it using CAD and any number of methods.  Essentially though...

Draw the side profile of your post, extend the 2 sides till they meet, and then measure the distance from that point to the base.

2 hours ago, solver said:

You could also use solid subtraction to create the taper. You might have a rectangular column, or other shape.

ct1.thumb.jpg.1e98069345279e775d2cc0ad83a19d9a.jpgct2.thumb.jpg.17b80fa10ad275ea2e9d1872c7270732.jpgct3.thumb.jpg.ed138fe751bb071b59c84ae2d0ff2cc7.jpg

I had started doing it that way, but man------there are a lot of steps for a tapered paneled column. The first way you describe is quicker, though still somewhat involved, I need to take time to brush up on Sketchup. Thanks again Eric for sharing. Have a great day.