Foundation Dimensions w/Brick Ledge

Joe_Carrick

I have the Dimension Defaults set to dimension to the Main Layer.  But Auto Exterior Dimensions are being created to the outside edge of the Brick Ledge.  I tried moving the Extension Line to the inside of the Brick Ledge but can't snap to that line.

This is not what I want.  I like my Foundation dimensions to match the Floor Plan dimensions.  If I wanted the outside of the Brick Ledge I would have specified the dimensions to be the "Surfaces" instead of the "Wall Dimension Layer"

I believe Brick Walls are a Special Case Situation ( I don't deal with them much) and Chief Treats the Brick as the Main Layer for these Wall Types not the Framing Layer...

It's also why they Align differently in some situations....

Aligning Foundation Walls

The Foundation To This Line setting in the Wall Type Definitions dialog controls how a wall of a given type aligns with foundation walls directly below on Floor 0.

By default, Foundation To This Line is specified for the Main Layer of most wall types. An exception to this are brick wall types, which have Foundation To This Line specified for the exterior siding layer. See Brick Ledges.

At least 4 other solutions the come to mind...

1. Use a reference layer set and just dimension the floor above.  The dimensions would remain live in this case
  2. Use a reference layer set along with point to point dimensions.  Just turn the points off, give them the invisible line style, or reduce the radii to zero.
  3. Use a reference layer set and polylines (or molding polylines) with arrows and custom macros.
  4. Make your foundation wall a double layer wall and set the Dimensions To layer to the innermost layer.