measuring from a picture

crosscutter55

i remember seeing a short video of being able to measure from a picture. It showed the side of a house where you could drag a line across the home and see the width of the home as well as figuring the roof pitch & rafter length does anyone know if this can be done in x9 & how ?

I have been looking into a lecia disto S 810 laser distance meter which has this feature it cost about $800 + but if chief can do it that would save me some money :) being able to check dimensions from the ground would save alot of time 

You can kinda, sorta do this, but it's not very accurate. It involves rescaling a photo based on some known dimensions. Once the photo is rescaled, you can measure from it, if it's a head-on shot. It may be better than nothing, but if you depend on accuracy, it doesn't take avoiding too many screw-ups to have the Disto pay for itself. 

I watched the s810 video and it "requires" being centered

that is not always possible

I would save the money and get the $100 Disto

I bought a $700 Disto in 2005 with lots of features (for then)

I ended up using it in "simple" mode

buy the s810 and try it - if you can return it

Lew

For remodels for getting roof slopes I take pictures of all gables (as well as everything else).  When on the computer I bring up the picture and put my calcuslope scale on the monitor.  Accurate as all heck!!!  Way more accurate then climbing up a ladder to the eave and measuring over a 1' and then up.......

It's my 2nd best remodeling tool only after a lase measuring device.

http://www.calcuslope.com/

• Upvote 1