Framing Sections comments/anomolies

dshall

1 hour ago, rlackore said:

In X9 I get the sheathing stopping at the soffit:

soffit.thumb.PNG.39c1030634c4994d5ef91ea4ac99aa0b.PNG

...but, maybe there's a checkbox or other setting I'm missing.

I do not think you are missing anything,  I think they might of fixed this.

• Upvote 1

So now the question is,  suppose I want the ply sheathing and the rigid insulation that is over the ply heating to go up to top plates but I want to stop the finish at soffit.

IOW,  what is controlling when the additional exterior layers stop at soffit and when they stop at top plates.  

Maybe some of the additional layers should be part of the main wall layer.

• Upvote 1

I think the best solution is for Chief to modify the Wall Definition dbx to allow us to define multiple sheathing layers, then we can have both the osb and the rigid treated identically. Also, the soffit should stop at the sheathing layer, not the main layer.

It can get really crazy if it is also a brace wall and the truss has an energy heel.  Many building departments want to see a detail showing the sheathing going within an inch of the roof sheathing attached to blocking in the energy heel.

21 hours ago, javatom said:

It can get really crazy if it is also a brace wall and the truss has an energy heel.  Many building departments want to see a detail showing the sheathing going within an inch of the roof sheathing attached to blocking in the energy heel.

So you mean the wall something has to be notched around every truss tail?

2 hours ago, RL-inc said:

WOW .....framers nightmare :o

I see the Blocking flush to the ply (sheathing) sometimes, cos they want to sheath the wall and stand it, and don't want to add strips later. Usually the ply is upto the bottom of the Top Cord (2x4), the rest is open for Roof Venting , so notching shouldn't be needed.... would depend on the Job I'd think though ?  the ply is supposed to act as a "hold-down" in high winds , so not sure flush blocking would pass in all areas or with all inspectors.

M.