HD vs SSD

RobUSMC

I use SSD's for programs and have the Chief Data on it, use HDD (7200) for files. Chief and all programs load faster and a bit snappier on the SSD.

Tested moving Data to HDD-no noticeable difference, tested moving plan files to SSD-no noticeable difference.

So my take is SSD for programs and OS, HDD for storage since those files get written often and HDD hold up longer than SSD with repeated writes (from what I've read but have never had failure of either-knock on wood)

• Upvote 1

I've been SSD for years and see only benefits: less noise, less heat, less power, much speed.  It's true that clocking the one time load of a 100MB plan from SSD versus HDD won't be significant on its own.  But think of temporary files and other auxiliary files (patterns, symbols, etc.), auto-save, backups, swapping.

You can get a 1TB Samsung  EVO 860 (SATA III or M.2 SATA) for 330$.  275$ for the previous 850 model which I have.  Get a pair and stop worrying about storage shortage for the next 'x' years.

It's true that SSD writes wear off the device, but go check the warranty on those devices: you'll have switched to a bigger or faster SSD by then.  I've had my oldest SSD (EVO 840) for close to 4 years on a system that's really busy and I'm only at 18TBW.

Samsung's NVME SSDs (960) are about 4 times faster than their Standard Sata SSD (850/860) too if you have a .M2 port on the Motherboard ( or buy a PCIe Riser Card) ...but both are much faster than a HDD, you soon get "used to it" and it becomes "normal" and expected though.

M.