New Plan vs old plan

Designer1

Can someone tell me if theres a difference between the two in Chief...

1. Taking an old plan from X4 and opening it in X9 and continue working on the project from there.

2. Taking the old plan from X4 and copying all floors and opening a brand new plan in X9 and pasting all floors.

I have tried both with some issues with both.  Im wondering if there is actually any differences or is it similar?  I was thinking the best possible solution to bringing old plans forward were to use the copy paste into a brand new file from X9 but Im unsure.

Thanks for your help!

Chad

I believe the best approach is to open the X4 plan in X9.

Then before you do any work on it, do a "Save As" and

give the plan a different name (like whatever+X9 Version).

This way you will still retain the X4 version should you

ever need to open it in X4 again, and you also have a

copy you can go forward with in X9.

• Upvote 1

Ok great.  I just wondered if by carrying over an x4 file it brings along any kinks or incompatibility to the file?   versus just coping and pasting the entire plan into a brand new fresh x9 folder?  I thought I once was told the copying pasting technique ensures you have a brand new file that doesn't collect any lint from past versions.  Just wanted to check with you guys.

Just an update to anyone who might be debating what the best policy for working on old plans in newer chief versions.  I found the best results for me is when I edit all floors and copy and paste into a brand new latest version of chief.  I noticed using the old version and bringing it forward it doesnt allow all the benefits of the latest version to work properly.  I noticed especially in shadows and 3d overview a huge difference, also a difference in texture views and clarity.  Im glad I tried both methods and found the best one that works for me.  Thought Id pass on my experience with this issue in hopes it might help someone else.

Thanks!

Chad

That's basically what I do. If I have a preliminary plan drawn in X9, then I will just bring it forward into X10 to finish. if the plan is finished in X9 then I will make changes in X9 and leave it there. If a plan is  2 or more  versions back I will copy it to a new version profile plan or template, of course there is some fix up required.

Yes I agree Perry.  I found for me the copying the plan and pasting in the new version was less problematic and allowed me to use the new versions features.  Where when I just opened the old plan from long ago and used it in the new version it had problems.  Glad I finally figured out the best way to deal with this!  Thanks for the input.