X6 on new computer cursor sizes

skeylargo

I have an old copy of Chief Architect Premier that I installed on a brand new computer. The cursor size when I try to select a handle - the double headed arrow and the turning tool cursor are so tiny I can barely see it? Is there a way to increase the size of them? I looked in preferences but can not seem to figure it out what would change it. I thought something under Edit - Behavior but nothing seemed to work. It worked perfectly fine on my old computer.

Thank you.

Yes, the mouse pointer. The actual arrow mouse pointer is normal size, cross hairs are fine, it is only when I select an object on the plan (like a wall) and hover over one of the indicators to move it or resize it and the mouse pointer changes to the "double headed arrow" or if I want to rotate something and the pointer changes to the circle. At those times the mouse pointer is so small it is almost invisible. 

My triangle indicators were super tiny at first also but I had no problem increasing the size of them (just changed pixel size).

Sounds like you may have also bought a new higher resolution monitor ?  Might be helpful to let us know what operating system you are now using and some of the critical details of your new computer in your signature so it is always visible when people are trying to help.

So Edit Handle size doesn't help eg 8 pixels in this Case?

it maybe related to the DPI or Windows Scaling if the new Computer has a Higher resolution Screen  eg 4K  older programs like X6 are not "DPI Aware" so things maybe tiny if that's the case .

Please see my signature below and fill yours in too...see the Blue instructions...thx.

How do your tool bars look ?  Are the icons quite small ?  Maybe you could post a screen shot.  Do you have SSA ?  It might be possible to hack the icon files so it functions for you unless you are happy reducing your screen resolution to 1080.

Chopsaw - my tool bars look just fine. I guess I can get used to it - as long as I have cross hairs I will now where the cursor is but I find myself squinting to look for the cursor. In the image attached the double arrow cursor is on the most left bottom left handle.

I would prefer not to change my resolution to 1080 - it would annoy me even more.

Screenshot (1).png

Solver - so that is what everyone else gets to see as well? I guess I got so used to on my old computer to clearly see the cursors that I just assumed that's what is supposed to be and that it is something wrong with my settings on the new coomputer LOL

I seem to remember an Icon Pack or Hack for X7 when upgrading from X6 to a higher Res. Monitor......

I guess changing the Cursor size in Windows doesn't help with the Chief Cursors ?

I don't have X6 installed now to test this ....

7 hours ago, skeylargo said:

I would prefer not to change my resolution to 1080

If I get some time on the weekend I will see if I can hack into X6 and find a solution for you.  Not too worried if I make a mistake with my copy as I rarely use it anymore.

you could perhaps try it with DSR Factors in the Nvidia Control Panel , however I am not sure it it only work in 3D , which may mean it only works in Overviews etc....

use a multiple of you current res. to get 4K eg x2.25 or x4  etc....

I know it works in Games , It Renders it at 4K ,which is then resized to fit your Screen , it's mostly used to test GFX Cards at different Res. in Games for Performance numbers I think. eg running a game at 4K vs FHD or QHD res. 

At Full screen 1920 x1080 I think you need x4 for 4K (3820x2160) to simulate the number of Pixels.... best to check though....

Any way if you want to give it a try be very careful to follow a safe procedure of maintaining the original files and if this is not the sort of thing you have done before make a complete copy of the file before editing the original and realize this is not likely anything tech support would suggest.

This is the file path : C:\Program Files\Chief Architect\Chief Architect Premier X6 (64 bit)\resources\cursors

What you need to do is navigate to this file and select a .png file and in a photo editor change the size from 32 x 32 to 64 x 64 and either make a complete backup file or change the existing file name and use the exact old file name for your enlarged cursor file in .png format.

Then you will need to open the cursor_hotspost file and edit it to reflect the hot spot change in location for the larger file size.  This is the part that was not responding properly for me on my 1080 monitor but may work fine with 4k.  Please post back so others will know if you get it to work.

Here is a quick example of a 64 x 64 if you want to give it a try.  For this one you would change the hotspot to 32,32, representing X & Y from the top left.

move2.png

Did SkeyLargo ever say if they are using Display scaling in Windows 10? eg at 4k is is standard to use 200% I believe 

https://www.tekrevue.com/tip/windows-10-display-scaling/

Thanks , I will save your "Hack" Info  in case Windows Scaling in Win10 doesn't workout for me on my Surface 3, but something they suggest for the Surface is to try turning off HIgh Dpi capabilities for the Program and see if it helps.

Change application properties

In Explorer or on the Start menu, right-click the application name, select Properties, select the Compatibility tab, and then select the Disable display scaling on high DPI settings check box.

Note

In Windows 10 Version 1703 and later version of Windows, the text of the Disable display scaling on high DPI settings option is changed to Override high DPI scaling behavior, scaling performed by: Application.

Found here:https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca/help/3025083/windows-scaling-issues-for-high-dpi-devices

and here: https://www.howtogeek.com/175664/how-to-make-the-windows-desktop-work-well-on-high-dpi-displays-and-fix-blurry-fonts/

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...