Rainscreen Batten Library

Kbird1

You can do this with an added Framing Layer in your Wall Definition fairly easily using the Framing Type Materials from the Attached Library,

I thought I'd post this here too for Others in the Future to use if needed , so it's not lost in the thread....

X9 Version...     may not work in X10...see below ***Post No#3***  I can not reproduce the issue so the Textures are in Post #3 if you need them.

MHD RainScreen Battens.calibz

What should be in the .calibz , they can be unzipped with any unzip program

10.thumb.PNG.af9a15b58cf86511398e9681aecda2b5.PNG

X10 Version

MHD RainScreen Battens_x10.calibz

What should be in the .calibz , they can be unzipped with any unzip program

12.thumb.PNG.8beb8d17e7eb869503cebf83274f03af.PNG

You must uncheck "Stagger Framing Layers" to get the

Rainscreen Strapping to line up with the studs automatically

if that is desired in the Wall's DBX Structure Tab ( at Bottom)

And VERY importantly FRAME the wall or you won't see them in

Plan View OR 3D Views as they are a Framing Type Material.

I use the same technique for Board And Batten Siding.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/16852-board-and-batten-library/

and an Older Post on the method

Using a Wall Framing Layer for Cedar B&B

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/5383-is-there-a-way-to-trimextend-psolids-in-elevation-view/?do=findComment&comment=47072

Mick.

15.thumb.JPG.5a0fb320fd9ce09a0acf170f886d27be.JPG16.thumb.JPG.3e4be0f4372d37eed95311ac7e2b3b0a.JPG17.thumb.JPG.e2768df1608a25435a40d94f604ae949.JPG

• Upvote 2

Mick,

Your library imported just fine into X9 but not into my X10. I wonder why that is. Anyway, thanks for sharing your library! The library imports into X10 but is then missing all associated textures when done. 

When I imported the RainScreen library, the texture did not also import into X9, I did not try it in X10.

DJP

18 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Mick,

Your library imported just fine into X9 but not into my X10. I wonder why that is. Anyway, thanks for sharing your library! The library imports into X10 but is then missing all associated textures when done. 

When I imported the RainScreen library, the texture did not also import into X9, I did not try it in X10.

DJP

That is Weird , but your comments have me a bit confused so the textures are there in X9 or not?

I haven't used it in X10 yet , let me look into it.... bad export maybe?

*** If I open the Library in X10 the Texture is missing in the DBX View but is there when I Open the Object from the Library,

let me figure it out and I'll repost , I think it's a File location error for the .jpg file used maybe?.

thx for the Heads-up

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems to be a Library Issue, as noted above the Texture is there and Displays in the 3D View in the Material's DBX , I even put the Textures in the X10 Textures Folder and re-linked the Library and it is still doing it.

here are the Textures in case someone needs them or can figure it out.  -----------      Treated Lumber.zip

Note***Fixed ..for me :)

It turns out X10 has the Library set to Vector View by Default ( or I set it this way during earlier Betas due to slow Downs? )  the

5th Icon from the left (Preview Toggle) at the bottom of the Library Window turns it back on***

44.thumb.PNG.9e2ea77802dc6bf0ef427578cbf552c4.PNG79.thumb.PNG.be692db2fdfe01145f2800b8a55332e1.PNG

29 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Yes, in X9 the library works fine, in X10 none of the textures arrived with the other data. I too was surprised.

DJP

So the Fix above does not work for you?  it works here , I simply had Standard View Preview Off in the Library...

I also have posted the Textures (in Blue) now so you can put them in your Data/Textures Folder and relink the Materials to the .jpg if needed.

The Texture Folder is Migrated so it should Follow you Version to Version and never be lost again.

It's possible it is related to my Use of my Own Materials Folder in the Data Folder and something is not linking

but I assumed the Texture went with the Library when you Export it?.

M.

I downloaded the textures and manually reassociated them with each material, that seemed to have worked. The .cabliz file you offered for X10 also did not properly install with the textures as above. Your efforts are still appreciated and inventive, thank you!

DJP

20 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

I downloaded the textures and manually reassociated them with each material, that seemed to have worked. The .cabliz file you offered for X10 also did not properly install with the textures as above. Your efforts are still appreciated and inventive, thank you!

DJP

Hi, I Exported from X9 so both X9 and X10 Users could Use the Library but I have now added a X10 Library in the 1st Post too as I can not reproduce your Issue, nor do I know why it would happen.  Did you also download the Board and Batten Library ? does it have the same issue for you?

16 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Yes, same problem, no texture installation or association.

DJP

only in X10 again ?  did you try the new expanded Library I posted this morning for X10 , that texture is already in the 1st Post though....

5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

only in X10 again ?  did you try the new expanded Library I posted this morning for X10 , that texture is already in the 1st Post though....

No, I did not see it. Do you mean the one tagged "X10"? If so yes, I did download that and install it with the same results as the X9 one you offered.

DJP

Are you able to tell me what .jpg it/they are referencing ? I though when a Library was exported it pulled the Texture with it ? , in fact if Chief can't find the texture it will ask you to fix it before Exporting.  If you Unzip the Cailz file with Winzip or &Zip is the Texture there? See the 1st Post for Pics of mine I added.

If you right Click the the downloaded File and goto Properties , is it "Locked" Bottom RH Corner is a checkbox if so , on some Win10 systems depending on Security settings Files from the "Internet" are deemed a Security risk and you must Unlock them if you know them to be safe , before doing anything with them.

I assume you checked you Preview Toggle Button?  just making sure cos you are the only one who has reported an Issue.

4 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I also did not get the textures until I simply closed and re-started Chief and they showed up in X10..Not sure why though.

Thanks Perry , maybe this is an X10 Library Issue then if Chief needs a restart to find the Library Textures , I had that happen in Older Versions IIRC , but x9 was always pretty good refreshing itself.

Mick.

• Upvote 1

Mick & David,  This may be a widespread X10 B3 issue as I just imported a plan file from another user and faced the same type of issues where wall textures were not imported, even default drywall, which is a serious concern.  I will prepare a report and send it in with a reference to this thread just in case it helps.

Perry,  Sorry the re-start and re-boot trick did not work for me.

1 minute ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Did they save the plan as  "backup entire plan" before sending to you?

No but that was not necessary as there were no custom materials.  Other than the issue of chief finding them in my Core Catalog rather than the backup file.

I was wondering if I should report this to the Beta Team actually , just not many have said anything , then again I don't know how many have downloaded the Files?  I extracted my Calibz files and the textures are in there , so I am not sure why X10 isn't importing or perhaps registering them.

18 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I was wondering if I should report this to the Beta Team actually , just not many have said anything , then again I don't know how many have downloaded the Files?  I extracted my Calibz files and the textures are in there , so I am not sure why X10 isn't importing or perhaps registering them.

Yes it would not hurt to send it in even though I already submitted the link so that they have your view of the situation.

If you go to to the top right of the forum screen to the drop down menu beside you user name you can check Your Attachments and how many downloads you have.  Sorry to admit that I have not yet downloaded your files but appreciate you posting them and will grab them when needed.

My problem that I have been working on all day has lead to a much larger problem unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/9/2018 at 11:38 AM, Chopsaw said:

Yes it would not hurt to send it in even though I already submitted the link so that they have your view of the situation.

If you go to to the top right of the forum screen to the drop down menu beside you user name you can check Your Attachments and how many downloads you have.  Sorry to admit that I have not yet downloaded your files but appreciate you posting them and will grab them when needed.

My problem that I have been working on all day has lead to a much larger problem unfortunately.

I have reported it to Brian Beck several times now but it maybe related to double Clicking the Library Files to Import them instead of Using the Import Library Function on the Menu. X10 is not resetting the File Associations to x10 ( from X9) properly it appears.

If the File Association isn't set for X10 , then Double Clicking the Library File would cause it to try and import into X9 , and if made in X10 the Library may fail to import ...I am not sure if you'd see an Error Message about a "File made in a newer version" in this scenario?