Can anyone tell me what this is?

Larry_Sweeney

1 hour ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

CHIEFTALK.thumb.JPG.fb37863f0760e48d302f30062fd56480.JPG  I opened ChiefTalk today and this was at the bottom of the screen. I'm very shy about opening anything I don't know what it is. Can anyone tell me what it might be about or if they have seen the same thing?

CHIEFTALK.JPG

JSON (JavaScript Object Notation) is a lightweight data-interchange format.  See JSON.

Not sure why ChiefTalk would prompt you for that.  As Eric said, if not sure say no.

Chief uses json files to store "Ruby Script Files".  Not knowing what that particular file is or where it came from I would be reluctant to download or save it.  I definitely would not be inclined to import it using Text Macro Management as it could contain a malicious script.

OTOH, you could call Tech Support and ask them if they know what that file is?

but is considered a language-independent format, being supported by many different APIs

Such as the Java API. 

But yes, I wasn't suggesting opening the file either, but rather updating Java. Like you said, we have no idea what's even in that file. 

Eric..............No reason for not using Windows 10. Just felt no need. I use Explorer for a browser.

To All...........Thank you for the input. I just hit "cancel".  I'm a long way from being any kind of "tech savvy". My approach to computers is if it comes on when I turn the computer on---GREAT! If it doesn't come on --- I call my grandchildren.  I don't know if anyone can relate to that, but it works for me. :)

Were you downloading or opening a Macro off the Forum?  a .json is how Chief Exports Macros ( which are in Ruby as Joe Mentioned ),

opening ChiefTalk in IE instead of FireFox does not trigger a Download for me though ...I am Win10 too

M.

I had been away from the computer since yesterday. When I opened my screen for ChiefTalk the download was at the bottom on the screen. If my memory serves me correctly about three or four weeks ago I had the same thing occur with a download showing at the bottom of the screen in ChiefTalk and I canceled it. I'm not sure if it was the same one or not. I was curious if anyone else has had this show up and what it was about.

You shouldn't get a Prompt to download or Open anything by simply visiting a Site , you normally need to click a link or a file name 1st, but normally if exporting a Macro , you would name it something easy to remember eg Area Calcs , not something like either of those  eg 2a7vh9do.json. It is a bit weird I'd likely report it to Tech Support just in case for peace of mind ,especially since it's happened more than once.

You Image doesn't show the Whole Window , so there is no way for me to tell which page you were on when it popped up.

If your browser is set to accept notifications for ChiefTalk it will periodically receive a .json file with notification data. In some cases if you get logged out due to inactivity or log out from a different browser window, the notifications don't work correctly.

I suspect, but am not certain, that the message you see is related. I don't have any good fixes for this at the moment other than tell your browser to not accept notifications or to close ChiefTalk when you are not actively browsing.

I would be interested to know which version of IE you are using.

We currently do not recommend using IE since Microsoft has essentially deprecated it in favor of Edge. 

I'm not recommending Edge, I currently have a preference for Chrome but that changes from time to time.

Looks like the Web Push Notifications aren't working Properly , I don't let Chieftalk use them, so assume I don't see it for that reason... CT will of asked at some point if you want notifications , so probably in Settings you can disable it or Remove that Permission.... if not in Settings then likely in your Browser's Options or Settings...

This is a browser specific setting. I think I understand why it happens but don't have a good solution other than turn browser notifications off. And yes, I would expect that Windows 7 with, the right browser, would handle notifications.