Cabinet Symbol to Show in Cabinet Schedule

wjmdes

I have had to make a few cabinet symbols using solids, etc as I could not get what I needed with cabinet options.  I could not

• Get a flush toe kick with a different material
  • Exterior and interior laminate are different. I had to create a 1/16" layer on inside.

Now that I have several symbols I can not assign them to show up in the cabinet schedule, which is they need to be.

5a6f309012c34_36DropIn.thumb.jpg.1662a2e5e9cad1a59e1507026c07f607.jpg

36 Beverage Drop In Cabinet.plan

When converting to symbol, it does not give the option of "cabinet", it does have "cabinet door/drawer".  I put the symbol in the drawing and added a line to try and make a block, and that does not work either.

10 minutes ago, solver said:

Creating an Architectural Block seems to also be an option

I tried to make it from cabinet tools, but there where 2 things a cabinet will not do as in my original post.  Blocking it works perfect, and I can draw 2d over it before I block it to get the correct look.  Thank you!!

10 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

I tried to make it from cabinet tools, but there where 2 things a cabinet will not do as in my original post.  Blocking it works perfect, and I can draw 2d over it before I block it to get the correct look.  Thank you!!

I had not checked your plan completely so this was made with 4" instead of 4-1/2 toe height. I also did  not bother to convert your legs to symbols, which I would normally do.

In any case here is your cabinet-insides don't match outside- only the toe area at the back is a different color.

5a6f57077a1ec_Cabinetthatgoesintoschedule.thumb.jpg.fc964e43aa8c884a9566cf393e68d0b2.jpg

I'd posted a method for doing some of this back in x9- both making insides that don't match the exterior, and there is a video somewhere.

Making the insides different is now easier with X10. In the plan attached are some symbols I made for that purpose- they are inserted as shelves. Something has changed in the latest Beta I think. As when I tried to make the newest symbol I had trouble with stretch areas and such. Note that if those are not fiddled with the "guts" symbol tends to create Z fighting on the left side only.

In any case they should work BUT you will almost always need to make a new one if the height is different since they are set NOT to resize in height.

Bottom line- I've yet to find a cabinet I could not make and get into a schedule. I even use cabinets to just get parts (valances, legs, etc) into the schedule. You have to go at it with what does a cabinet understand and then how do I give it that.

36 Beverage Drop In Cabinet update.plan

16 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

I think you'll find that blocking it has one potentially notable downside...the width and depth information displayed will depend on its orientation in plan and may not be accurate.  This can be addressed a number of ways, or it may not be a problem...something to be aware of though.

42 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

When converting to symbol, it does not give the option of "cabinet", it does have "cabinet door/drawer".

To create a cabinet symbol you have to Export 3D Model (I think 3DS is a good choice), and then Import 3D Symbol.  You can then select "Cabinet" during the import process.

On 1/29/2018 at 0:23 PM, MarkMc said:

Bottom line- I've yet to find a cabinet I could not make and get into a schedule. I even use cabinets to just get parts (valances, legs, etc) into the schedule. You have to go at it with what does a cabinet understand and then how do I give it that.

I put this together with polyline solids as a place holder until I get the specs.  Is it possible to do rounded cabinets?  I know I can build it either in Sketchup or CA with parts and pieces but am curious if this is possible.

5a7128dc315fc_Untitled1.thumb.jpg.0bbb4a63224c9f425018660a1dd00266.jpg

57 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

I put this together with polyline solids as a place holder until I get the specs.  Is it possible to do rounded cabinets?  I know I can build it either in Sketchup or CA with parts and pieces but am curious if this is possible.

5a7128dc315fc_Untitled1.thumb.jpg.0bbb4a63224c9f425018660a1dd00266.jpg

Yes and no. The attached is done with 4 cabinets, To me it's easier than solids or export and import since imported cabinet symbols are awful.

For a schedule I'd either block them and include the block in the schedule (but there are issues with which way the dimensions read for blocks in the schedule). Or I'd only include one cabinet in the schedule, block the 4 together, and use OIP fields to list dimensions in the schedule. (I wonder if the new OIP fields help with dimensions for blocks- just thought of that, bet they do)

BTW, did you open the first plan I posted for you?

curved cabinet.jpg

10 hours ago, MarkMc said:

BTW, did you open the first plan I posted for you?

Yes I did and looking forward to getting in there to see what you did.  It did help with figuring out how to get the outside toe kick in the proper location and a different material.  I probably will do this cabinet in sketchup, however pictures from the store show the inside as 3 straight pieces.  I need to get the corporate people to nail down some inconsistencies before I do the rest of the cabinets.  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!!

4 hours ago, wjmdes said:

I probably will do this cabinet in sketchup,

Have it your way, if you mean more shelves or split the openings that is pretty easy. I put some stuff over in symbols. Now the vertical splits on the one don't match the interior, there is a way to do that- look about some time last year in there or for Chopsaws video or for Back insert parts I posted somewhere.

• 1 month later...
On 1/29/2018 at 0:23 PM, MarkMc said:

Bottom line- I've yet to find a cabinet I could not make and get into a schedule.

Mark, I got the shop drawings for this and several other cabinets.  As these are commercial service counters, they have a 3" toe kick on service side and a 1/2" toe kick on customer side.  Is that possible with standard cabinet tools?  I do not see a way to do that.

57 minutes ago, wjmdes said:

Mark, I got the shop drawings for this and several other cabinets.  As these are commercial service counters, they have a 3" toe kick on service side and a 1/2" toe kick on customer side.  Is that possible with standard cabinet tools?  I do not see a way to do that.

Yes- start with framed cabinet, "0" separation, whatever reveal you want, 0" toe height and depth (sometimes I make them from wall cabinets instead)

You then configure your toe with openings and side panel inset. Use custom door symbols for the toe where you adjust the origin. Here's one done with half inch on the side and 3 on the front- same principal.

Varied toe depths.png