Remove breaks in polyline

basilbabaa

I've questioned the lack of a simple method also.

In complex examples, it takes much effort to zoom in, grab the correct 'handle' and slide it to precise points.  Often I end up creating tangents that require starting the process all over again.

The other item that would be helpful would be a way to bisect polylines; breaking one into two or more complete shapes.

Try grabbing it and dragging it to the end handle of the line or perhaps to the next closest break point ... and just "drop it" on the point you choose ... but I believe it needs to be the next closest point on your line from the point you are trying to get rid of.  Some times when you are doing this you'll actually miss the point you are trying to drop the point you want to remove onto.  In essence, you've created a very short segment between the two points.  The only way to figure that out is zoom way in and/or drag the "drop point to the side or something and you'll quickly be able to see what happened.  Definitely not the greatest solution in the world but it works.

Thanks.  I did know how to do that, but like you said, you have to zoom in and make sure you hit the point or else you end up crating a very short segment.

In most cases it was quicker and easier for me to just do as Doug suggests and "start over".

I think Chief developers, if you're looking at these threads, please purchase Adobe Illustrator for a month and play with it...  That's how editing poly lines should work...  Very intuitive...

Cant agree more.  Especially when doing a lot of manual roof editing.

This is a method I use a lot.  I use poly line subtraction.   One thing some might not be aware of is that it works on many things. (roof planes included).

Expanding on this method, if I am adding interest to a roof, and want elevation offsets for example.   I can do a polyline sub to break the roof into separate planes for example.  Powerful tool.

But still would be nice to say select a segment and delete all breaks between the next two selected points.

Here is a vid of PLS

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, WoodlandDesign said:

The other item that would be helpful would be a way to bisect polylines; breaking one into two or more complete shapes.

Are you talking about making a complete break in a closed or unclosed polyline? 

We can already do this with the Complete Break tool.

12 minutes ago, glennw said:

Are you talking about making a complete break in a closed or unclosed polyline? 

We can already do this with the Complete Break tool.

I was assuming he was talking about closed polylines and breaking them into multiple closed polylines.  We can do that too though using boolean operations and  very thin or even zero width polylines. 

11 hours ago, MarkMc said:

I thought that the OP wanted to remove a node? I thought it was Michael that did a video on that some time ago? I also use the disconnect selected edge a lot.

Remove nodes.jpg

Never seem to have much luck with the Join 2 lines Tool , (if the segments are connected already) , it's about as frustrating as trying to drag a Node to the nearest (reshape) Diamond and drop it right on it....

M.

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

Never seem to have much luck with the Join 2 lines Tool it's about as frustrating as trying to drag a Node to the nearest (reshape) Diamond and drop it right on it....

M.

OK I watched the entire video and it is not the one I was referring to that uses the join two lines tool. I had trouble with it until I watched the vid I was referring to.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/13463-create-single-line-segment-between-2-points/#comment-115118

7 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

OK I watched the entire video and it is not the one I was referring to that uses the join two lines tool. I had trouble with it until I watched the vid I was referring to.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/topic/13463-create-single-line-segment-between-2-points/#comment-115118

Ahhhh yes , that is what I was finding too ( see my edit above) ... so it doesn't work....you have to be "around the Corner" , if it's the same line even in 4 or 5 segments it doesn't.... I thought it was just something I was doing wrong :)

*** would be great to have Basil's suggestion of a right click remove node option.....

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Never seem to have much luck with the Join 2 lines Tool , (if the segments are connected already) , it's about as frustrating as trying to drag a Node to the nearest (reshape) Diamond and drop it right on it....

M.

If you have Object Snaps turned on, a little red X will appear when you are close enough to the drop point to land on it.

It's pretty small but I find it helpful.

Removing a Line Break.jpg

1 minute ago, JJohnson said:

If you have Object Snaps turned on, a little red cross will appear when you are close enough to the drop point to land on it.

It's pretty small but I find it helpful.

Removing a Line Break.jpg

Thanks , Good Tip , as I don't always have them on.... will try it next time....

M

2 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Wow,  I don't see how you could work without them.  I only turn them off for the rarest of situations. 

Just now I had them off placing some recessed cans cos they kept coming on for the camera and everything else I was close too and I can barely see a 5" can as it is if not zoomed in :) , and then I forget to turn them back on.... should always have Center and intersections on I guess, you are right.

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

so it doesn't work....you have to be "around the Corner" , if it's the same line even in 4 or 5 segments it doesn't.... I thought it was just something I was doing wrong

Even if it has multiple segments it works. just pick a spot around the corner.

Before.png

After.png

Yeah , that is right, I guess I didn't explain myself well ? , it doesn't work if you try and join two segments of the same straight line , the video you linked just confirmed my own findings , though I am unclear on why the Tool "needs" a Corner , and if you go around the corner the results are not always good , and it only seems work if you go one corner , go to the next line around the corner on your rectangle to the right and it doesn't.... I guess cos it loops back the other way instead which are already joined?  In some situations it will work well though... like alot of things in CA you have to know exactly the right circumstances you can use a Tool in ,especially when stuff like "you must go around 1 Corner" isn't documented , the Help file just says it only works on non-parallel line or arc Objects. Perhaps they need the Help file translated into Layman's English :) 

35 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Yeah , that is right, I guess I didn't explain myself well ? , it doesn't work if you try and join two segments of the same straight line , the video you linked just confirmed my own findings , though I am unclear on why the Tool "needs" a Corner , and if you go around the corner the results are not always good , and it only seems work if you go one corner , go to the next line around the corner on your rectangle to the right and it doesn't.... I guess cos it loops back the other way instead which are already joined?  In some situations it will work well though... like alot of things in CA you have to know exactly the right circumstances you can use a Tool in ,especially when stuff like "you must go around 1 Corner" isn't documented , the Help file just says it only works on non-parallel line or arc Objects. Perhaps they need the Help file translated into Layman's English :) 

See if this help at all.  This video also includes a tip for deleting extra nodes along a single line (not around a corner)...