Roof Framing (Stick-Truss mix)?

Joe_Carrick

I have a project where most of the roof will be 2x12 framing but there are some parts that I want to frame with trusses.  Ideally, all walls will be 9' plate height and the fascia's will match.  It's basically a Gable roof design with 2x12 rafters and fascias.  But where trusses are used they will have 2x6 top chords.  What method would you use to get the 2x12 tails for the trusses?

If anyone has a detail covering this condition it would be greatly appreciated.

So then it sounds like you will have a closed soffit.   Also the 2x12 will be trimmed a little depending on the pitch.  Likely could just get the truss company to gang nail an extra 2x6 under the tail of the top chord.

I'm thinking it will probably just require an energy heel truss with a short 2x12 flat nailed to the side of the tails at the eaves.  I'll need to determine the exact height of the energy tail since the 2x12 rafters will have a birds-mouth cut bearing on 2x6 top plates. (4: 12 pitch). 

The rake detail will have to be 2x12 framing anyway.

As Chop said- have the truss co build down the bottom of the tail and return to the wall for the soffit.

The detail of the rafter tail and soffit should give them enough info to hit it right.

If you had open soffit with finish material on top of the tails, as we do here quite often, we would rip the 2x12 rafter tails to 2x6 to match the truss tails and adjust the heel ht. as well.