LED EXTERIOR PARKING LOT LIGHTS

Snoodle

I have several projects where the town wants LED wall and Pole Mounted lights to light up parking areas and walkways.  They need to be 250w 4000k units.  I have no idea how to get a symbol to give me that light output.

They are square flat boxes with lights shining down from poles and at about 5 degree down on walls. i cannot find any symbols and wondered if anyone had any?

On 1/25/2018 at 1:47 PM, Snoodle said:

They need to be 250w 4000k units.  I have no idea how to get a symbol to give me that light output.

Chief is ill-suited to accurately representing lighting. If the township needs a visual photometric plan, most manufacturers provide IES files and other resources, but obviously you need to lock in the manufacturer, lamp type, output, spacing, mounting height, distribution, etc. Chief won't do any of this for you - you either need specialty software (some manufacturers provide this), or you need to hand-jamb it the old-fashioned way with isoplots. Does the township have a dark sky ordinance? What is the allowable footcandle intrusion on adjacent properties? What is the minimum required illumination on the ground? These are all questions that need answering before you can begin developing the photometric plan.

Thank you for the responses.  we have a Design firm that is handling the site plans and the lighting but the local BI wanted to see if I could put the lights in to my plans.  I think I knew the answers before I asked the question but it never hurts to pick the brains of people smarter than me on Chief related issues.

This community is ridiculous in the hurdles we have to jump through.  Last project we had to bring in a piece of vinyl siding so the Zoning Board could see what it looked like????

thanks again and I will just go with what I have. 

I realize my answer didn't actually help you solve your problem. Here are a couple symbols that may help.

Lithonia SSS square straight steel pole with 4" shaft: Lithonia SSS.calibz. The symbol is a 10' pole, but the stretch plane is set up to allow any height.

Lithonia KAD-LED area luminaire: Lithonia KAD-LED.calibz. The symbol is the head only - you have to insert it and position it to the pole (offset from the pole base to the pole shaft is 2-1/2"). Lights are included to approximate a Type III distribution, 4000K color temperature. You'll have to adjust the light lumens depending on the mounting height to approximate your desired footcandles at the ground. FYI, 250 watts worth of LEDs is about 20,000 lumens (my picture approximates 35 watts and 4200 lumens).

5a6b5f6b5cdd6_LithoniaKAD-LED2.thumb.jpg.c5053b64b74ff148092b5ab176421d46.jpg5a6b601e60dc6_LithoniaKAD-LED3.thumb.jpg.ccfd2bb84c211a28c9694d57ea1cf15e.jpg5a6b631169ec8_LithoniaKAD-LED.thumb.jpg.226601486fd09e32e360646844003333.jpg

Good luck.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, architect said:

Was this an imported symbol from the manufacturers web site ?

Yes, the head began as a download from Lithonia, was cleaned up in SketchUp, then imported into Chief. Not all Lithonia products have an available download, but many do.