Accounting/bookkeeping software for Mac

djhplanning

I'm looking for recommendations on what other designers may be using for bookkeeping/accounting software for Mac.  I've recently made the switch from pc to Mac and am liking it.  The only think I need to switch over is my bookkeeping/accounting.  I currently use Quickbooks Pro desktop 2015 on my PC.  I have been pleased with it for about 6 years.  I have considered maybe doing Quickbooks desktop for windows with a small laptop or something that would just be for my accounting but don't know if I want to go through that expense either.  I've tried the online version and hate it, plus it will cost about $35/month after the initial 6 month deal of $17/month.  I also do not want to have my financial information held by Quickbooks and prefer a desktop version where I am in control of my information.  Quickbooks is discontinuing their Mac desktop version next year.  I have reviewed a few Mac alternatives and am leaning towards a product called Accountedge.  They offer a desktop version for Mac for $399 (one time fee and optional yearly updates for $199).  As a designer, I need to do estimates, basic income/expense tracking, time tracking, mileage tracking, etc.  I would be interested to hear about your recommendations and experiences.

1 minute ago, djhplanning said:

Quickbooks is discontinuing their Mac desktop version next year.

I would really just consider sticking with Quickbooks.  Its really not one of those programs that needs to be updated very often.  I'd venture to guess you'd be fine using that same version for a number of years still.  I say stick with what you know and just plan on not upgrading later.  Who knows, maybe they'll change their mind in a few years or something better will come out.

1 minute ago, djhplanning said:

I have considered buying Quickbooks 2016 desktop for Mac but it may not work on any os updates after my current since it will not be supported anymore.  So this would be a short term fix for about a year.

I guess I would assume otherwise.  Those programs typically keep working a lot longer than that.  I mean there are people still using pre-X versions of Chief and only fairly recently have they started to have any notable problems.  I guess I'm not very familiar with Macs though either.  Maybe they're less friendly than Windows in this regard.

37 minutes ago, djhplanning said:

I have reviewed a few Mac alternatives and am leaning towards a product called Accountedge.

I used Accoutedge for Mac years ago. Not using any accounting program now, except Excel, but if I went back to accounting software that would be my choice. I was very happy with it, no complaints at all. I found it very intuitive and easy to use.

Having said that, Macs typically give you a long time period where you can still use aging software. You could probably go another 5 years or more after a program is no longer supported.

(I've been using Macs for 30 years)

I agree completely with you assessment of QB Online.  It is currently weak on features and capability. 

One of the things that I would think about is how difficult it is to switch accounting systems.  Setting up the chart of accounts, cost codes (items) preferences, and a whole host of other things takes a large time commitment to get done correctly. And if anything is setup wrong, it haunts.  There is the issue of your familiarity with QB and the learning curve with new software, no small thing.  Unless you pay a consultant who is really good to set it up it can be frustrating and it will take longer than one would think it will.  QB seems to be the most successful of lower end accounting systems and one can assume they will be around a long time and continue to supply good support and updates.  I know a great number of people who hitched their wagon to the wrong software company and went through the torture of updates that crashed or were forced to change software because the company ceased to exist or ceased updating the software. 

An inexpensive laptop or desktop would run QB for many years and it seems the cost of buying a new computer would be roughly comparable with buying new software.

Ike

• Upvote 1

I was in the same boat when I switched over to Mac about 5 years ago. I ran Windows on my Mac via Parallels Desktop for a while to keep using QB desktop until QB Online came out for us up here in Canada. I wasn't a huge fan of the online version at first, but I got used to it and, as Perry says, they add new features all the time. The bonus with your data in the cloud is you can access your data wherever on multiple devices. For example, I can go deliver a set of plans to a client, pick up their check and just use QB on my phone to apply the payment to the invoice on my way to the bank. No need to lug around the laptop. I could do up the invoice from my phone if I wanted to as well. Another bonus of the online version is that you can grant access to your accountant so they can log in from their office.

I've decided to get the 2016 desktop version for Mac and use it until next year.  Found a version for $199.  This will give me at least a year to do additional research on new Mac systems.  To busy to transfer to a new system now.  I can transfer my pc quickbooks file to this Mac version.  I'll use and worry about it next year if they end up discontinuing it or who knows, like Alaskan Son says, maybe they will reconsider and continue it.  Thanks all for the feedback.

I run Windows 10 64 bit on my Mac via Parallels Desktop.  I'm using the Windows version of QuickBooks Pro 2016.

I had the buy Parallels and Windows but it was worth it.  It runs very well and I can switch back & forth between Windows and Mac seamlessly.

I have dual monitors, when Windows is running, it's full screen on the second monitor while Mac OS is on the first one.