Changing the line arch tool from convex to concave

RobUSMC

4 hours ago, dshall said:

Is there a way to predetermine whether it arcs concave or convex.  I swear,  after 12 years I think it always goes in the opposite direction I want.

Not that I know of.  Its not totally random though.  The arc draws clockwise from the Start of the line to the End of the line.  I guess if you're dealing with an open polyline you could use the Reverse Direction tool to control which way the arc draws.

• 2 months later...
On 26/01/2018 at 12:38 AM, dshall said:

Is there a way to predetermine whether it arcs concave or convex.  I swear,  after 12 years I think it always goes in the opposite direction I want.

Scott,

You can determine which way the arc draws by the way you drag the arc.

Say you want to draw an arc between two horizontal points (or a chord).

If you start drawing the arc on one point and drag the arc upwards, the arc will draw in that direction. ie with the arc above the 2 points (or chord).

Similar if you want the arc to draw below the 2 points.

Also, the further you drag the arc away from a straight line (or the chord) the higher the arc (smaller the radius).

You don't really need to have points already drawn, the same technique works just drawing the arc without any reference points or chords.

Isn't it as simple as that, or am I missing something?

Do you need me to do a video - although it's pretty simple.

The way an arc works for an electrical connection is different from the above.

The arc direction depends on wether you drag from the switch or the light first

There are 3 different things being talked about here:

1. A line that is converted to an arc.  The arc is generated in a clockwise direction from the start of the line to the end of the line.
  2. An electrical connection.  These are also drawn in a clockwise direction from the start of the line to the end of the line. 
  3. A plain arc.  The way these are drawn depends ENTIRELY on the Arc Creation Mode you have activated.  My personal favorite is Start/End/On Arc.

12 hours ago, dshall said:

I tried it and they did not work.  I will give it another try.

I switched my plan view to "Electrical Plan View"...which I believe is an OOB view...then, I switched the CAD layer to "electrical, connections".  Then, I used the Arc Tool...start/end/arc.  

Worked perfectly for me.  I like this method...much easier to control where the arc goes...and fewer clicks and editing. 

There is one limitation...and that is you can't bend and shape the arc like you can the standard "electrical connection" line.  But...you can use the spline tool to achieve this "flexibility".  I think for most situations...the ARC tool works adequately. 

3 hours ago, SNestor said:

I switched my plan view to "Electrical Plan View"...which I believe is an OOB view...then, I switched the CAD layer to "electrical, connections".  Then, I used the Arc Tool...start/end/arc.  

Worked perfectly for me.  I like this method...much easier to control where the arc goes...and fewer clicks and editing. 

There is one limitation...and that is you can't bend and shape the arc like you can the standard "electrical connection" line.  But...you can use the spline tool to achieve this "flexibility".  I think for most situations...the ARC tool works adequately. 

If the electrical connections is the default layer,   I can draw the arcs as stated and they are dashed and they are on the correct layer.....  but I am drawing arc,  I am not drawing electrical connections THAT STAY LINKED TO THE ELECTRICAL OUTLET if I should move the electrical outlet.

So the question is,  can you use the start/end/arc and have the electrical connections stay connected if you should move the electrical outlet.

2 hours ago, Richard_Morrison said:

The short answer is "No."

The one character longer answer though is yes...

You can use the Arc With Arrow tool.  Just set the arrow to be 0" or perhaps use the arrow that just looks like the end of a line.  You still won't get the automated 3 way and 4 way notations but that's not something I personally care about anyway.  Actually, my current preference is to just leave those notations out.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You can use the Arc With Arrow tool.  Just set the arrow to be 0" or perhaps use the arrow that just looks like the end of a line.  You still won't get the automated 3 way and 4 way notations but that's not something I personally care about anyway.  Actually, my current preference is to just leave those notations out.

Nice!

4 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

+1.  Thanks for the tip!

On 4/4/2018 at 3:18 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

......  Just set the arrow to be 0" .....

BTW,  setting the arrow size to zero does not keep the arc connected,  the arrow must be at least 1/16" in size.

1 hour ago, dshall said:

BTW,  setting the arrow size to zero does not keep the arc connected,  the arrow must be at least 1/16" in size.

No, it can be zero.  I do it all the time.  You must have just coincidentally done something a little differently when you tried it at zero.