A little puzzle to discuss

dshall

Build a 3 story house and build a foundation.

Now put a deck on each side of the house , each deck on a different floor/level,  4 decks total.   (this includes putting a deck on the FOUNDATION/ZERO LEVEL)

Now building framing,  Note on what level each deck is built on.  

BTW,  when defining the basement,  it can be a walk out basement.

Any comments?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, solver said:

ct1.thumb.jpg.819378404975886e6808e5ea33cf871d.jpg

Did you notice in plan view the framing for the bottom 2 decks was framed on level zero even though one of them was actually built on level 1.

I have a condition like this on a project I am working on.  For some dumb reason I built the basement on level zero so I had a challenge displaying the deck.  Suppose the deck on level one was built directly above the deck built on level zero.....  the framing for both decks would be stacked on top of each other in plan view.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes guys.....  I'm off to pick up a  couple of driver's from my brother,  then an hour long bike ride,  Dinner with Lynn and friends and then   ....  golf is tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, solver said:

ct1.thumb.jpg.819378404975886e6808e5ea33cf871d.jpg

Did you notice in plan view the framing for the bottom 2 decks was framed on level zero even though one of them was actually built on level 1.

I have a condition like this on a project I am working on.  For some dumb reason I built the basement on level zero so I had a challenge displaying the deck.  Suppose the deck on level one was built directly above the deck built on level zero.....  the framing for both decks would be stacked on top of each other in plan view.

Thanks for the Birthday wishes guys.....  I'm off to pick up a  couple of driver's from my brother,  then an hour long bike ride,  Dinner with Lynn and friends and then   ....  golf is tomorrow.

BTW,  this is the first time I built the basemen on level zero and I get dinged for it.

Hmmm, just for clarity

If the basement had been built on floor 1

and a deck built on floor2 (main floor) and another in the same area on floor 3 (second story)

the framing would still have been "combined" either on floor 2 (main floor) or floor 0

do I understand this right ?

Lew

12 minutes ago, lbuttery said:

Hmmm, just for clarity

and a deck built on floor2 (main floor) and another in the same area on floor 3 (second story)

the framing would still have been "combined" either on floor 2 (main floor) or floor 0

Lew

No, that's not right.  Deck framing always gets placed on the floor below the deck room; HOWEVER, in a case where the deck room gets built on floor zero, there is no floor below to place the framing onto, so the framing gets placed onto the same floor as the deck. Its a pretty limited scope we're talking about here.  Only an issue with decks built on Floor zero.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

No, that's not right.  Deck framing always gets placed on the floor below the deck room; HOWEVER, in a case where the deck room gets built on floor zero, there is no floor below to place the framing onto, so the framing gets placed onto the same floor as the deck. Its a pretty limited scope we're talking about here.  Only an issue with decks built on Floor zero.

Yes,  that is the point.  A deck built on level zero directly below a deck built on level 1 gets confusing when looking at framing plan in plan view.

i have this situation in a plan.  Inserting a floor could solve the problem but I am dealing with three units in one plan file on one lot with multiple floor heights.  I tried inserting the new level zero but my project then looked like an E C Escher drawing.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, lbuttery said:

Hmmm, just for clarity

Lew

You are wrong.  Build it and you will understand.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

I'd like to see his work.  Is he related to M C Escher by any chance?

So funny,  I started spelling the “M” with an Em, eliminated the “m”  got confused and blah blah blah,  only the 33rd mistake I made today.

• Upvote 1