"I have tried everything!" not so

DavidJPotter

I often see the tried and "true" above statement in countless posts here and elsewhere.

If that were really "true" one would not then be asking for help, would one. What it means to me is that the person saying this, never had studied the Users Guide or Reference Manual and in many cases have not ever used the Help Files or even watched, in a studious way, a video tutorial.. 

I am NOT saying this is somehow a crime, rather it is very Human and boringly common. You are in effect saying that " I am lazy, never study and when I get stumped, I expect others, who have been diligent, to fish me out of the muck.Do not misunderstand me, I like helping others, it is the purpose of this forum and others to help others. I am just looking at this with unvarnished frankness and clarity. It is as it is for you. : "I have tried everything" is not, substantially true anytime it is uttered by anyone. When that happens to me, I call Tech Support or I call a Geek and pay them both well, via SSA, check, cash or PayPal. That is the responsible thing to do or self-discipline oneself to thoroughly self-study followed by applied practice. Knowledge and competence are created in one by the practice of diligent ongoing study followed by practicing what one has just studied. It is also taking the time to look up words, that appear during study to make sure your own understanding of what you studied is well and thoroughly and understood by you, the student.

Anyone who is competent, wise or a genius became so by way of study and practice. Wanna be smart or smarter than you are:  STUDY AND THEN PRACTICE WHAT YOU JUST STUDIED and NEVER GO BY A WORD THAT YOU DO NOT FULLY UNDERSTAND. The English language words commonly have multiple meanings depending on how the word is used and intended by the Author of the study material. The Word "OF" has at my last count, 35 different definitions used in communications, verbal or written; 35

Study should become a discipline for anyone who wants to improve themselves, it pays for itself and is the foundation of IQ, try it and see for yourself

DJP.

• Downvote 3

Curious David, why did you post this? Did you think it was helpful in some way? Do you read and edit your posts before/after you post them? Is this really what you think this forum is for?

You are aware (I hope) that "I have tried everything" is merely a figure of speech that does not have to be taken literally? Aren't you?

I recently told my wife I would meet her down at the store. Was the store actually 'down' from where I was? Should I have STUDIED each location's altitude and then modified my statement to say "up" at the store if indeed, through my diligent study, I discovered that I was indeed wrong, I had not though of everything, and the store was actually higher than our current location?

Perhaps, "I have tried everything I can think of," might satisfy your need to belittle those who are currently not as expert as yourself in the software? Probably not.

I'm not sure how you see the purpose of these forums but I see them as a place to help others, not a place to preach to others the correct way to use and interpret the English language. I'm just not sure your post helps anyone, other than your self and some frustration that most likely does not belong here.

As a mater fact I'm not sure my post helps anyone other than myself and some frustration that most likely doesn't belong here. :) I'll think about that a bit and perhaps delete this post upon further self examination. 

• Upvote 4

I have to agree with Larry.

Here in Minnesota passive-agressive behavior is rampant.  As one supposedly helps another they are secretly resentful for having to do so.  Of course they never say anything before helping like 'I don't want to help you'.  Rather, they do it under a self-imposed duress and later lash out at the person they helped!  There is an expectation that the person they helped should have known, somehow, that the helper never wanted to help to begin with.  Kind of like reading your wife's mind. :angry:

There is a phrase they use here called Minnesota nice.  Those of us not indigenous to the area refer to it as Minnesota Ice.  On the surface people seem 'nice'.  But more times than not residents harbor an anger caused by their own inability to express their emotions that festers and comes out sideways at the oddest, seemingly bizarre times.

No-one knows everything about CA or anything else.  We're all on a spectrum here and in life.  People learn in many different ways.  This forum is just ONE tool used for learning CA. 

If one doesn't want to share their knowledge and experience, that's their choice and always an option.  If they don't, that's also and option and choice.  What is not productive to this or any other forum is an underlying tone by members of resentment.  It undermines the good will that should be inherent to this concept. 

You have helped me Eric and I have been appreciative of that assistance.  Now I am going to look at that exchange differently.  As Larry stated: Not helpful or productive.

We all have bad days and venting seems like the only option.  I would just caution anyone to wait before hitting the send key and reconsider if this is best for EVERYONE.

-DG

• Upvote 3

42 minutes ago, WoodlandDesign said:

We all have bad days and venting seems like the only option.  I would just caution anyone to wait before hitting the send key and reconsider if this is best for EVERYONE.

It might be a bit like the letter you write expressing your frustrations and then re-reading it and tossing the letter instead of sending it. I've done that more than once here on the forum. Not sayin' it's the proper form but checking one's self before sending/posting some things can be very good for the soul.

DJP,

There a concept in speech called ellipsis, which refers to the omission of a word or words left out of a sentence, although the sentence can still be understood. Most of us understand the elliptical construction of "I have tried everything" is not literal, but rather to mean "I have tried everything [that I can think of -- right now -- in my current condition]." 

• Upvote 1