Rendering Problems in X10

WoodlandDesign

We are aware of an issue that is occurring on older (7-10 year old) ATI cards that causes the ambient occlusion to generate incorrectly as shown in the original images.   We are looking into seeing what we can do to resolve this.

For now the best workaround as you have already discovered is to turn off the Ambient Occlusion on these cards.

55 minutes ago, BrianBeck said:

We are aware of an issue that is occurring on older (7-10 year old) ATI cards that causes the ambient occlusion to generate incorrectly as shown in the original images.   We are looking into seeing what we can do to resolve this.

For now the best workaround as you have already discovered is to turn off the Ambient Occlusion on these cards.

Nice....Thanks for the info...

did you reboot after upgrading the driver? thats the only thing I can thing of , not sure why it doesn't work , (assuming it is the Correct Driver) it has been many years since I used AMD , I am strictly Nvidia these days.

You needed an excuse for a new Laptop anyway didn't you ? :)   EVGA has a Sale at the moment.....1/2 price on some 17" models...

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=768-41-2633-T1

I did restart the computer.  So, it can't be that.

I definitely don't want to invest in a new computer.  Updating software shouldn't require this especially since my machine meets the parameters of the program according to Chief.  It would be nice to just upgrade the graphics.  I don't know if my Dell has the ability or if the software is proprietary.

Never heard of Evga.  But that doesn't mean much since I am very computer illiterate! 

Generally Laptop graphics are not upgradeable because the Chip is soldered to the Motherboard unlike a Desktop where it is a separate Card that goes in a slot , so you are stuck with what you have , I didn't realise your Computer was 7-10 years old as Brian alluded too....if so that is pretty good in this modern day and age...

EVGA is a huge California Company , started in Graphics Cards I think around 2000, but now does many other Computer Accessories like Motherboards and Power Supplies too , and has I think 5 models of high end Laptops . I have several of their Graphics Cards and have had great Support when needed from them.

Thanks for the heads up Mick.

Unfortunately all that you guys are talking about is way over my head.  I trust the people that sold me the Dell.  As you said, much of it's abilities are remarkable considering how old it is.  These were about $4500 new back in 2009.  My next efforts will researching the ability of my machine to be upgraded a little.  Otherwise, I will look into another Precision as they can be custom built with more than enough ability to hold me over for a long time.  They were marketed at being a mobile workstation, meaning having all the conveniences of mobility and yet massive power.  My first Precision was also very good.  It had 1 Tb of memory which was unheard of for a mobile back in 2005 or so.

The current Precision I have was probably my mistake when buying as I opted for the graphics that were more for CAD vs. another that had graphics more for gaming.  I thought that Architects don't need a gaming computer.  Apparently CA likes the gaming graphics stuff though.  My bad.

1 hour ago, WoodlandDesign said:

I will look into another Precision as they can be custom built with more than enough ability to hold me over for a long time.  They were marketed ...

When it comes time you might want to expand your options. I've had two Precision machines-nice machines, well built, great support if bought through Dell business., but only available with Quadro cards which cost more than a comparable GTX. The gaming cards will work better for Chief and a lot of the 3D software. The portion of the Quadro card that you are paying more for is not used by those programs.

There are gaming machines with more power, more ports, more customization, and some lesser known and boutique brands/suppliers where you can get comparable extended American support. I no longer pay for the extended support and have not needed it on either of the 2 Sager machines. I needed the next day service twice for the first Precision (M65) and once for the second (M4500) which my wife still uses to this day to run the books.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/23/2018 at 12:43 PM, BrianBeck said:

Brian,

I see in yesterday's release that the Ambient Occlusion problem has been rectified.  In all but the Physically Based rendering options, everything is working like it did in X9.  Thanks for following through with this.

Now, the Physically Based rendering technique is blacking items out in what appears to be a random order.  I have attached a side by side comparison as an example.  The first sample is Standard and the second is Physically Based.  Notice the white soffit/crown molding?  It turns from white to black.  I just noticed the door on the left also turned black.  Any ideas what this may be and how to solve?

Thanks in advance.

Capture.PNG

Capture1.PNG