Rendering Problems in X10

WoodlandDesign

Is anyone else experiencing the poor rendering problems I am with X10?

Several different things seem to be happening with standard rendering:  Concentric circles.  Poor lighting.  Grainy pictures.  Auras around items. 

I attached some examples pics and will also forward to support.  I know others have talked of rendering challenges with X10 and am wondering if they were able to correct or have corrected.

Thanks in advance.

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled 3.jpg

Untitled 4.jpg

What are computer specs? They are not in your signature.

Are you sure that is standard view and not Physically Based?

I have no problem with Standard view on the Sager with a dedicated video card. PBR is a little tricky at this point but I manage with them, maybe better than some. Should improve at final release (we are in Beta).

On my Spectre with just an Intel card PBR is not working at all. Standard views on there get pixels and other weirdness. Turning OFF bloom solves the problems with standard view there.

Might post the plan? and specs?

Mark,

I am definitely using Standard view;  PBR is MUCH worse. 

I'm not much of a computer person nor do I pretend to understand all the specs.  I rely on others to tell me what the best system is for my needs.  For many years I have been using a Dell Precision.  A very powerful  (and heavy) laptop that also serves as a desktop when connected though it's docking station.  It has worked very well for up until this X10 update.

My current model is the M6600.  Here are the specs I could find:

Intel Core I7 vpro.  2640M-CPU @ 2.8 GHz

16.0 GB RAM   

64 bit operating system

I don't know where to find anymore info on it.  This is what comes up on it's system information page.

8 minutes ago, WoodlandDesign said:

Mark,

I am definitely using Standard view;  PBR is MUCH worse. 

I'm not much of a computer person nor do I pretend to understand all the specs.  I rely on others to tell me what the best system is for my needs.  For many years I have been using a Dell Precision.  A very powerful  (and heavy) laptop that also serves as a desktop when connected though it's docking station.  It has worked very well for up until this X10 update.

16.0 GB RAM   

64 bit operating system

I don't know where to find anymore info on it.  This is what comes up on it's system information page.

Your video card- the part that really counts should be one of the following on that machine -AMD FirePro M8900 Mobility Pro with 2GB GDDR5, NVIDIA Quadro 3000M with 2GB, NVIDIA Quadro 4000M with 2GB, NVIDIA Quadro 5010M with 4GB GDDR5.  (Though I see that there is a 7000 series that only has an Intel card.)

Look in control panel, device manager, display adapter.

Make sure that Chief is set to use whichever of those you have and not the onboard Intel graphics. (look in system tray for video card control panel-3D settings if NVIDIA- don't know for AMD) That might help.

Things that can help- As I mentioned try turning off bloom, turn off "ray casted shadows" (shadow ok just not RCS) do not use sun follows camera with generated sky- for that matter I don't use either one of those. I hope/expect that there will be some improvements with final release more to PBR than others (I don't expect perfect by then though)

Still be a good idea to post the plan.

FWIW I ran Precision Laptops for a number of years but ditched them about a year or two after I started using Chief. Last one was m4500, now my wife's home machine.

CA like gaming cards, most are using NViDIA,  better than Quadros (which come at premium price). Been happy ever since.

OK.  Here is what it says:  AMD Radeon HD 6900M Series.  Not sure that was one you had listed.  Don't feel comfortable going into the 'video card control panel' and don't understand what you're describing.

I did try turning bloom off with no effect.  When I turn off 'sun follow camera', things are much worse.  Computer doesn't seem to like that.

I really don't want to HAVE to invest in new computer because of the program update.  Maybe there's a way to modify what I have?  Do you know if a computer person could modify what I have or is it proprietary?

Attached is the plan as requested. 

Thanks again Mark.

-DG

Modern_Farmhouse_1_Version_X10.plan

20 minutes ago, WoodlandDesign said:

AMD Radeon HD 6900M Series.  Not sure that was one you had listed.  Don't feel comfortable going into the 'video card control panel' and don't understand what you're describin

Your card has 2GB memory- should be just ok, not ideal. As to the control panel, that is not big deal. Here is image of what it looks like with NVIDIA,5a66243b30d10_NVIDIAcontrol.thumb.PNG.09c6f9ec66a1481458b579caf9709daa.PNG

maybe someone with an AMD can help there. Your system has both a dedicated card and an Intel card I believe. You want Chief to be using your Radeon card, especially given the age of the system.

Attached are images I get on my Sager- no problems at all. BUT I also attached a list of texture files that I don't have that it is looking for in Standard View (solution to that when sharing a plan is -File, Backup ENTIRE plan, save as Zip...) Files.thumb.PNG.1b4c0a14dd60b1ead151fadafc7656ad.PNG

It is possible that the bump maps are creating an issue? don't know. But the glow you are getting on the trellis indicates to me that it is video card related.

Standard render.PNG

PBR.PNG

Doh!

Looks like everyone else has things working just fine.  What is frustrating is that I have so much actual work to do and the time spent 'rectifying' the program upgrade is lost.  Aren't things supposed to be better when we upgrade? 

Thanks for letting me vent.  Please know I appreciate both of you taking time our of YOUR schedules to give me your feedback. 

I tried updating my AMD drivers but it seems to make no difference.  Felt like it was only an ad for their product by the time all was done.

I looked Mark but can't find that screen you are referencing above for the AMD adjustments.  Maybe tech support will be able to walk me through.

I believe that the AMD equivalent is called Catalyst.

As to the upgrade, well it is Beta-not what you want to hear and maybe some things should be better but the purpose of Beta is to help get bugs out before final release.

FWIW I've had it in production for months now. A few issues arose around rendering on my little toy machine with the Intel card in the current version (public release). From what I can tell they were created when they tried to fix some quality issues we had found in original testing. And yes contact support.

See if this helps Doug , you do want to make sure the Graphics is set to the AMD Card and you can try different Performance settings too. Quality should give you better Line Work perhaps but maybe at the Cost of some Speed and vica versa... just like in Nvidia CP shown above  you can and should assign a profile to Chief Architect.exe. in the AMD Catalyst Software.

Assigning a graphics card to an application with AMD Switchable Graphics

How can I switch to my high performance AMD graphics card?

When an application launches which requires the additional power of the high performance AMD graphics card, systems with AMD Dynamic Switchable Graphics technology seamlessly switch over to that graphics card, and then turn it off when no longer required.

The switching to the AMD graphics depends on application profiles. If an application has no such profile, you can assign the graphics card manually:

1. Right-click your desktop, and select Catalyst Control Center.
  2. From the Power drop-down menu, select Switchable Graphics.
  3. Click Browse and navigate to select the program.
  4. Click Power Saving or High Performance to select the graphics card to use for that specific application.

NOTE

Use of the high performance AMD graphics instead of the integrated graphics can reduce battery life.

or if needed

Switching manually between two graphics cards

How do I switch between the two graphics cards in my Aspire 4820T or 5820T?

Some Aspire 4820T or 5820T models have the possibility to switch between the Intel and the ATI Graphics card with an additional utility named Switchable Graphics.

SOLUTION

Switching between Intel and ATI Graphics cards:

1. Right-click the desktop and select Configure Switchable Graphics.
  2. After selecting this option, a new icon appears on the task bar. Click this icon.
  3. On the Switchable Graphics tab, click the High-performance GPU.
  4. Click Change to allow the program to close all open applications before switching the graphics cards.

MORE INFORMATION

Normally, the system will switch automatically between the high-performance ATI graphics and the more energy saving Intel graphics, depending on the power source. When the system runs on AC adapter power, it will switch to the ATI graphics card for maximum performance; when the system runs on battery power, it will switch to the Intel graphics to prolong battery life. However, you could need to switch manually, for example to use features specific to the ATI graphics despite running on battery.

In my effort to update my video driver I may have inadvertently downloaded some kind of gaming control center.  When I right click on my desktop it shows something called "AMD Gaming Evolved'. 

There does not appear to be any menus in this control center to control switchable graphics as you suggest.  I'm just not a computer person and REALLY don't know what the hell I'm doing.

I appreciate your willingness trying to help Mick.

Gaming Evolved ( discontinued now?) is not the AMD Catalyst Control Center you should have.....it's also by the Clock in the Small menu under the Up arrow perhaps...

I would need the actual AMD Card type and Model from Device Manager or the existing  AMD CC Center to find the exact Driver you need.

but this is basic general  help from AMD

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/catalyst-windows-install.aspx

Windows 10 Help

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/catalyst-windows-install.aspx#10

KB

6 hours ago, WoodlandDesign said:

16.0 GB RAM   

64 bit operating system

Speccy will give you all the info too and the Free Program ( green Icon below) from the same Company as CCleaner

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

11.JPG

*** I just found  AMD has an AutoDetect Program you can download which may make things easier for you

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/auto-detect-tool

M.

From Speccy:

ATI AMD Radeon HD 6900M Series
    Manufacturer    ATI
    Model    AMD Radeon HD 6900M Series
    GPU    Blackcomb
    Device ID    1002-6720
    Subvendor    Dell (1028)
    Driver version    15.200.1062.1004
   Memory Type    GDDR5
    Memory    2048 MB   

You have a Radeon 6900M with 2GB of Ram and AMD has moved the Radeon 6900 to Legacy Support , and the most recent Driver is version 15.7.1 

you currently have 15.2. but 15.7.1 is at the bottom of this Page...

http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy3&os=Windows 7 - 64

13.JPG

Alright.  I tried to download it twice and it tells me it failed both times.  When I click on the help offered it sends me to the internet that then suggest I download something called WinThrust which is supposed to figure out why it's having a problem.

This is where I normally stop because I'm not sure if this is a legitimate program to download.

Thoughts?

Haven't heard or it but Google seems to think WinThrust is a PUA   "potentially Unwanted Application (Adware in this case)"  so no you don't want it...

downloads for me Okay just tried it for you..... did you try again?

It worked this time.

I think this is what I downloaded earlier, but regardless it seems to have worked.

I don't see anything in the control panel that says to switch graphics.

There is several different menus.  Is there a way I can send you a picture of the control menu?

Windows Snipping tool is easy , it's what I use here , save to desktop and drag pic into reply window's light grey area.

It's in the Windows Accessories Folder , I have it pinned to my Taskbar..

I don't actually know AMD , I was just looking at the Tutorials at Acer for there Laptops....

Don't worry if you have it....I removed the link after thinking about it....

Run Speccy again and see if new Driver is installed   

Mick,

I think I have it figured out.  I played with the Ambient Occlusion toggle under Camera Speculation and it eliminated the concentric/bullseye problem.  There is some fine tuning needed to reduce or eliminate the aura problem and the quality of the picture but feels like a big step.

I will keep playing with adjustments to get things fine tuned and then ascertain I save everything.

Thanks for your ideas and inputs.

I always turn AO to 45%-50 and Turn Bloom off now, which I think Softens Images too much ( but is supposed to make it "light" more realistically) , but both look  "wrong" to me personally especially AO in the Corners)

Speccy will tell you if you have 15.7.1 installed now.... on the Graphics Tab