Help File Text Size - can it be made Larger?

Kbird1

The Help Menu App that pops up allows its own Font etc to be adjusted but can the actual Help File Text Size be altered ?  ie made larger , Size 12 , it appears to be Size 8 currently.

I know I can zoom in on it but that causes you to have to scroll back and forwards or make the Window wider , so I'm hoping I've missed something.....

M.

I meant the Built in Help Menu ( F1 or Help buttons in Program) not the PDF's which I also have and usually use cos, the Text is too small in the Help file , But because I think the Text in the Help Menu (vs PDF) is crisper than the low res. PDF version, I was hoping it worked like Word / Wordpad and simply made it fit the same space size by adding extra Pages at larger text sizes.

M.

6 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Hey thanks Mark , I will look into it since it seems 8 point is the default ....

My windows Fonts are Fine I just use a .reg file from Ten Forums to set Menus, Icons etc to 12pt when needed ,

since M$ in their "Wisdom" removed the easy Win7 way to do it in Win10 FCU

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/70839-change-menus-text-size-windows-10-a.html

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/19768-change-icons-text-size-windows-10-a.html

The Other reason for trying the Help File was that in the Past I have found that many of the Links in the PDF to other Pages don't work properly.

M.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Hey thanks Mark , I will look into it since it seems 8 point is the defaul

I checked into this myself since I hit F1 so often. Chief help is not a CFM file so some of those solutions don't work. Can change the entire system to 125% but that isn't so good. I downloaded Advanced System Font Changer. Haven't given it a go yet though, bit much going on for that (in the course of things I did find a way to load the Group Policy Editor onto my Spectre which has Win Home-hope that works, will save me the cost of an upgrade :)

16 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I checked into this myself since I hit F1 so often. Chief help is not a CFM file so some of those solutions don't work. Can change the entire system to 125% but that isn't so good. I downloaded Advanced System Font Changer. Haven't given it a go yet though, bit much going on for that (in the course of things I did find a way to load the Group Policy Editor onto my Spectre which has Win Home-hope that works, will save me the cost of an upgrade :)

Actually I just got the Advanced System Font Changer too as it lets you adjust scrollbars and Icon spacings (desktop) etc too, works well so far , it pulls up the Old windows style Icon and Text sizing boxes in some cases , you then need to log out or do a restart to set the new sizes.  I recommend saving the defaults 1st time you start it too , and once you have it all as you like it, save the settings to file (.reg) so you can reset them simply by double clicking the .reg or importing back into ASFC and rebooting as Win10 Cumulative Updates have a habit of resetting this kind of thing I have found.

I just put a Report into the Beta team about the Font size in the Help file , might help if you do as well ...assuming you want it too...

I thought the help file was a .chm too , do you have more info on that , cos those other links didn't help me either....thanks

yes it was a problem in X9 too for me , so figured I would ask and see if it was just me ....

never heard of the QT Assistant before , so thanks , I did find the doc.qch file in the Manual folder but wasn't sure what they were.

C:\Program Files\Chief Architect\Chief Architect Premier X10 (64 bit)\Manual\

I can change the QT Assistant Font but not the Help file itself's Font , which is what lead to all this.... I assumed it was a normal Help File... (.chm)

32 minutes ago, solver said:

Help is based on QT Assistant.

So I checked the documentation on QT Assistant- thanks Eric

15 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I can change the QT Assistant Font but not the Help file itself's Font , which is what lead to all this.

Option in View to Zoom in changes the size of the information window 5a6544aeaee76_HelpZoom.thumb.png.c733b1ffdb427aea1c47614eccef59c5.png

it appears that once zoomed in the size holds when closed and reopened, also holds after closing Chief and reopening.5a65448ad54f5_Normalsize.thumb.png.a524e4cfe8a3f8185fa8cd27f5a669a7.png5a65448ea7139_Zoomedin.thumb.png.13434be7b3135fa5a5b6f7a0db64dea5.png

Edit/ Preferences only changes the size of the font in the bookmark/contents panel.

13 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

So I checked the documentation on QT Assistant- thanks Eric

Option in View to Zoom in changes the size of the information window 

it appears that once zoomed in the size holds when closed and reopened, also holds after closing Chief and reopening

Edit/ Preferences only changes the size of the font in the bookmark/contents panel.

Thanks Mark , I know you are just trying to help but I was aware of that , it's what started the question...ie all the scrolling around while zoomed in.

I am guessing they restrict the font size to 8 point , to restrict the size of the Download ( smaller file size) on each Upgrade ie saves them money.... there seems to be no way to change the Font once it is "complied" , at least not without expert help.

re: the 1st post :  I know I can zoom in on it but that causes you to have to scroll back and forwards or make the Window wider , so I'm hoping I've missed something.....

21 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

know I can zoom in on it but that causes you to have to scroll back and forwards or make the Window wider , so I'm hoping I've missed something.....

That doesn't happen to me using the Help functions zoom. The text wraps.

Zoomed no scrolling needed.PNG

19 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

That doesn't happen to me using the Help functions zoom. The text wraps.

Zoomed no scrolling needed.PNG

Thanks , Are you in Full screen or ? 

I usually have it open on  about 1/2 or 1/3 of a 1980 wide screen i use on the side for this and email etc , and found I was having to scroll left / right if zoomed in too far, I guess I need to play more with different settings maybe as that looks pretty big? and is wrapping to the Window properly.

Did you reset the fonts in the browser? or the application? I have no idea what either is referring too , would you mind doing a screen grab for me thanks.... as they seem to reset the settings if you close it....

Is that Tahoma Font ?

M.

8 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Did you reset the fonts in the browser? or the application?

I used View, Zoom within the help where circled on screenshot. I also change the size of the contents navigator-edit preferences, application. Screenshot here is full screen on the 13" Spectre. Text wraps, on this machine I shrank the navigator a little since not all illustrations shrink all the way to fit. Less of an issue when I first checked on the 17" Sager, at the office I have help open on a second of 3 screens

Full screen on 13.PNG

I was playing with the Fonts in Edit>Preferences  If I set it to Application and Custom Settings, it changes the Contents Pane , open pages and Menu Font text sizes etc,

But I don't seem to have the same luck if I Set it to Browser ( which I assumed was the Help file html ) and try the same thing.... you can set it but nothing happens  apparently

I'll keep playing and see what happens , perhaps I messed a setting up playing with it last week?

CA have let me know that at this point in time the Zoom Option is the only way to increase the Font size of the Help File and they have Logged Font Resizing as a Request with the Documentation team, so thanks for the Input and Help anyway Guys , but it is what it is for now......

KB