Line weights when sent to layout

djhplanning

I seamed to have lost the ability to control line weights on my elevations sent to layout.  I recently switched from PC to iMac.  Previously on my PC setup, I had my exterior elevations layer set set up with thicker line weights for the roof plane, corner boards for a thicker perimeter look from the rest of the lines.  I usually send my elevations to layout as plots lines vs. live view and change the pattern lines to a lighter gray.  That worked fine for me on PC (see attached sample).  I had a similar setup with my floor plans with main layer walls having a thicker line weight.  Since I've switched to iMac, I seamed to have lost the ability to control my elevation line weights like I did before.  I didn't change anything in my layer sets.  My floor plan line weights show just fine like before but my elevations don't.  The only way I can control the elevation line weights is to use edge line defaults.  Which I don't want because this will change the windows line weights as well.  I don't understand if I missed a setting somewhere when switching to Mac but my floor plans are working fine like before.

elevation when sent to layout.jpeg

PC setup.jpeg

elevation view in chief before sending.jpeg

I would suggest posting an example Plan/Layout Dan , so people can test and offer you advice , otherwise all they are doing is guessing at your Settings....

good idea these days to indicate if using X9 or X10 Beta too in the .Plan

M.

I've been playing around with this again today and have figured out what is happening.  Here are my settings for sending.  I've had to uncheck "use edge line defaults".  For some reason on my PC, I know this was always checked when I sent to layout and would still show different line weights in layout.  Don't know why this worked on my old PC and now requires to be unchecked on my Mac.  Oh well, problem solved.

send to layout settings.jpeg

27 minutes ago, djhplanning said:

I've been playing around with this again today and have figured out what is happening.  Here are my settings for sending.  I've had to uncheck "use edge line defaults".  For some reason on my PC, I know this was always checked when I sent to layout and would still show different line weights in layout.  Don't know why this worked on my old PC and now requires to be unchecked on my Mac.  Oh well, problem solved.

send to layout settings.jpeg

I never check that ,but you can adjust line weights in elevation view using a separate layer-set or anno-sets for sending to the layout. You can also adjust line weights in the edit materials DBX. for roofs, siding, etc.

Honestly i have no clue what that box checked is even supposed to do - i can see what it does, but what is the point exactly?   Initially I thought this may be for "profile" lines, but that didn't turn out to be the case....or its not working correctly.  I love the idea of profile lines but that isn't working how profile lines would be used.

Its been brought up at one of Scott's webinars but i'm not even sure anyone there fully understood it.

9 hours ago, johnny said:

Honestly i have no clue what that box checked is even supposed to do - i can see what it does, but what is the point exactly?   Initially I thought this may be for "profile" lines, but that didn't turn out to be the case....or its not working correctly.  I love the idea of profile lines but that isn't working how profile lines would be used.

Its been brought up at one of Scott's webinars but i'm not even sure anyone there fully understood it.

See if this helps you out...

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

See if this helps you out (once it finishes uploading)...

Thx - That explains it well.  In the back of my mind I was hoping it had something to do with "edge"/profile lines - but i see now its just all the same type of line in the drawing.

13 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

See if this helps you out...

Nice.

One additional level of control is in "3D View Defaults" under "Options > Surface Edge Lines" where you can check "Use Object Settings" and all objects that have special settings specified on the Line Style panel of their specification dialog display will display those settings, overriding the layer settings in their Layer Display Options dialog. 

2 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

Nice.

One additional level of control is in "3D View Defaults" under "Options > Surface Edge Lines" where you can check "Use Object Settings" and all objects that have special settings specified on the Line Style panel of their specification dialog display will display those settings, overriding the layer settings in their Layer Display Options dialog. 

Yep.  Good additional tip.  A couple other notes while we're on that subject:

1. That setting will only recognize the line settings for object with a Line Style tab.  They will not recognize other line type settings such as the line types we can set in the wall definition dialog. 
  2. If you uncheck Use Layer Settings you will get no lines at all in plan but in layout all surface lines will be drawn black with a line weight of zero. 

5 hours ago, dshall said:

Thanks Michael, A  nice refresher.  I do not remember if you need to resend after changing the settings.  Maybe Dan needs to resend with the correct settings.

Yes, you do need to resend.  The layout boxes forever remember those 2 Edge Line and Pattern Line settings as they were originally sent (checked vs. unchecked).  For this reason, I think Chief should cause those 2 options to be grayed out in the Layout Box Specification dialog when those settings were unchecked during the Send To Layout process.  They're just confusing otherwise because they won't do anything. 

3 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You can change the layer set using the Layout Box layers tool.

You would think it would work when you open it and change it in the plan view, at least it should. Thanks Michael, I'll try that for now.