Designating Bearing Walls in Plan View

lavorhaynie

I am working with a new builder. He would like all bearing walls on floors above the foundation to look different in plan view. 

Does anyone out there do this? If so, what is your methodology? 

Currently I see only the option to create a "bearing wall" wall type using a different fill.

Does Chief offer a good solution for this?

Thanks,

LaVor

I think it is an OK solution. 

I would like to see a right mouse context menu option to select the wall and set it as a bearing wall. With that selection Chief would then change the plan view look of the wall to what ever was set as the default look for a bearing wall.  This would be much faster than opening the wall dialog, selecting wall types panel, select the bearing wall type from the pull down then finally hitting the OK button.

Just hoping someone had a faster solution.

3 hours ago, lavorhaynie said:

I am working with a new builder. He would like all bearing walls on floors above the foundation to look different in plan view. 

Does anyone out there do this? If so, what is your methodology? 

Currently I see only the option to create a "bearing wall" wall type using a different fill.

Does Chief offer a good solution for this?

Thanks,

LaVor

Try using the Hatch Wall tool.  I think I made a video a while back.  I'll see if I can find it. 

I guess using the "cut and steal" method requires you to "cut and steal" from the same wall type Correct? or that short section will change the Wall Type for that section...or did I miss something in the Video. ?

So making a Wall Legend with different walls  (hatched) would be beneficial ? and then perhaps use copy>paste from the legend ?

M.

I’m away from my computer now, but no... you should not have to cut and steal from the same wall type. You should be able to take the hatch and put it in ANY wall type.   The reason I suggested maybe having a series of walls was for the hatch FILL as an alternative to the palette idea.

Ok thanks , what I missed I think in the Video was that you were Clicking the Wall Hatch Tool and then Dragging out the Wall Hatching ONLY , not a piece of the actual Wall.....

* pulling an actual chuck of wall and inserting into another does take the wall hatching too but does change the wall type.....

without seeing your plan ,not every wall needs to be bearing and note that when you call out a bearing wall in Chief it will break your ceiling joists every time so you will see a lot of extra lines in your sections. Not sure if you use Shear walls but if you have any interior shear walls you would need a footing under that wall also. One alternative is to not mark any interior wall bearing and place your footings manually as needed.