[SOLVED] Slow Library access X9 and now X10

VisualDandD

I am starting a different thread as I thought it was a compromised library, but that is not the case.

I started having problems in X9 but have been living with them.  On new install of X10 have same issue so I figure it is time to get to bottom of it.

Issue:   Can best be seen opening Chief for first time.  Open a 3d view (can even be a new plan with just 4 walls).  Click material painter in from 3D view.  Select "core catalog" and it will take 50sec to a minute to read.   After that it is not as bad.  But it has gotten very annoying.  Same in X9.   Cant remember how long I have been living with it, but finally motivated to get it right before going to X10.

Originally I thought it was my X9 library so when I installed X10, I installed a "clean" install with new lib.  X10 exhibits same behavior.

Specs of PC

I7 4790K 24gb ram

GtX970 VIDEO CARD

Programs running off SSID drive.

Here is what I have done. No changes

-fresh install X10, new CORE lib.  (no change)

-Moved library to another HD (new feature in X10)  No change

-Ran memory diagnostic in window.  (no mem errors)

-Opened library data file locations and under properties made sure all folders and subs were set to "general"  no change

I'd like to try to get to bottom of this if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks in advance for any help

I just tried your scenario.  Seeing that this issue has only been reported by you, plus the fact that you get the same behaviour in X9 and X10 with a very simple 4 wall plan, I would think it is related to some resource constraint on your system.

My first suggestion is use some monitoring tool (ex: Sysinternals process monitor) to see where your system is spending time while you are waiting for the library to display.

Also check the Windows logs.

The fact you are seeing this issue in both X9 and X10 really points to some common cause, not strictly within CA, but likely a common WIndows resource.

4 minutes ago, cv2702 said:

I just tried your scenario.  Seeing that this issue has only been reported by you, plus the fact that you get the same behaviour in X9 and X10 with a very simple 4 wall plan, I would think it is related to some resource constraint on your system.

My first suggestion is use some monitoring tool (ex: Sysinternals process monitor) to see where your system is spending time while you are waiting for the library to display.

Also check the Windows logs.

The fact you are seeing this issue in both X9 and X10 really points to some common cause, not strictly within CA, but likely a common WIndows resource.

Thank you.   Yes, I am figuring it is a system thing.   Just trying to get to bottom of it.

Not familiar with sysinternals process monitor.  Will try to look it up.  I have been looking at processes under Task manager.   Nothing seems overly strained...etc.   Definitely need to try to get to bottom.

Thanks for the idea.   

Task Manager is fine for an 'overview'.  In your case, you need to dive deeper, thus some detailed monitoring tool.  SysInternals Process Monitor goes very deep, there is a learning curve, but it's free.  There are probably other easier tools, just google.

10-4.

I just installed what you recommended.   "Deep" is an understatement!   I think I saw too much! ;)

Not sure if I am ready to tackle that.   My computer knowledge is enough to be dangerous but ends at some old dos command I still remember.   I think I will call tech support and see if they have any ideas.   Heck, I make a call to them once ever 2 years on avg, so maybe they can help.

Thanks!

What kind of SSD do you have ? Do they have the latest Firmware?  are they using the PCIe interface?

don't blindly update firmwares please do some research ...Samsung has issues on some of their drives particularly the 960 NVME line

( PS your SSID is your Wifi Network Identifier)

ssid is a Corsair Force GS.  It is just using stock windows driver.  I could update driver, but dont think it is that as see below.  (same issue moving lib to another browser)

I am working on a fairly fresh install of Win10.   Only a few months old since I re-did my install.   Cant remember if it was doing it before.

I also did not think it was HD as X10 allows you to move library.   I moved my X10 to a conventional data drive on my PC.   Same result.  Almost 1 min to see the materials folder.

I also updated my Nvida driver just as a shot in the dark, but that did not do anything.

It is only in chief that I see any lags, and only when opening larger library folders.  There was one stone cat in the manuf.  Coronado stone.  It is almost 3/4gb  with big textures.   It tonally locks up for minutes if I click on it.   Something about opening larger libraries.......   

OK,

I have figured out something.

If I navigate down the directory tree, I was able to isolate what boggs my system down.

Specifically under core:

"Fabric and wallcoverings"

"Flooring"

"siding and paneling"

Everything else pops right up.   Even tile which seems to be as complex as the above....

Does it in both X9 and X10.

Any stabs at this one?

The Corsair SSD Toolbox  should tell you if you have the latest Firmware but it is likely not needed.

Have you tried with a Clean User Library ? or is this Clean?  I had crashing issues at one point which seem to have been eliminated deleting some bad symbols , in my case some Curved Windows.

M.

4 minutes ago, VisualDandD said:

Specifically under core:

"Fabric and wallcoverings"

"Flooring"

"siding and paneling"

Are you opening them or just clicking on the folder ?  seems okay here they are large Library though I think....

M.

Thanks guys.   It is weird.   I am not sure if it is video related or not.

But very strange that both X9 and X10 behave the same using their unique libraries.   (meaning I did not carry over X9 into the X10 install)

I have also isolated HD issues, since in X10 it allows you to move library around.   I did this on X10 and no difference.

@Mick

The vid was my X9 lib.   If I click right on the materials folder (where it attempts to shows the "selection panel" it will bog as well as it has to access those slow libraries.

I figured out I could navigate down the tree and isolate which ones were slow.   I am hoping this will lead to some ideas for a fix, but it is very strange since BOTH versions are doing this with their own libraries.

Again, I appreciate all the help.

2 hours ago, VisualDandD said:

Thanks guys.   It is weird.   I am not sure if it is video related or not.

I am thinking it is not likely the video card or driver as when I open my User Library Materials folder that takes 16-17 seconds to open I get a substantial CPU activity spike ( up to 96% ) and almost nothing on the GPU. Just a little blip on the graph but the digital readout stays at 0% where as just moving the mouse can take it up over 20%.

3 minutes ago, glennw said:

Does the same slowdown happen if you navigate the library folders directly in the library browse?

ie, without using the Material Painter.

That's how I did it the 1st time I checked and no difference here , with the Material Painter it might have been quicker actually, as it excludes alot of the library by default.

M.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

I am thinking it is not likely the video card or driver as when I open my User Library Materials folder that takes 16-17 seconds to open I get a substantial CPU activity spike ( up to 96% ) and almost nothing on the GPU. Just a little blip on the graph but the digital readout stays at 0% where as just moving the mouse can take it up over 20%.

Yea...I am not seeing any gpu activity.

46 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Looks like TS will have to help you as I can't duplicate your pause here in X9 or X10 following Vid#2

You don't have your Chief Data folder in Dropbox or on a Network Server or something like that do you?

M.

Nope files installed in default c drive location.   On X10, I experimented with moving them to a data drive on my system.   (x 10 lets you move it around).   It made no difference.   Same lag in same areas.  This leads me to rule out the hard drive.

23 minutes ago, glennw said:

Does the same slowdown happen if you navigate the library folders directly in the library browse?

ie, without using the Material Painter.

I just tried this.  Same exact way.   Open new plan, click on library browser.

Now here is something new I tried.  It wont do it if I turn off Selection panel.  If I turn off "Show/hide selection panel" there is no lag at all.   This does not let you preview the whole list of materials visually.   

This is why I am wondering if it is a graphics issues.  When locked up and hourglassing, there are no spikes under any parameters, and none go down when the list finally generates.

4 minutes ago, Richard_Morrison said:

Have you tried updating the library? (i.e. Library>Update Library Catalogs) Seems like you might have some library file corruption.

Yep.

Also experiencing in a "fresh" install of X10.  This is what is making me finally start trouble shooting.   I thought I probably just had some junk in my library it did not like.  But that is not the case.   Since I just made the jump to X10Beta last night, I chose to do a clean install and not carry over my library.  When I had same issues, I realized something is not right.  

I am leaning towards GPU related (even though I dont see any spikes) because if I hide "selection" pane, it does not have to show the items in library.   You can navigate all around and no slow down.   As soon as you try to see them, that totally grinds to a halt.   

I am thinking it is happening in other large cat items such as Architectural as well.

In the resource monitor, chief descriptions changes to "not responding", but if I wait long enough, it goes back to norm and shows cat.

Biting bullet and reinstalling windows.  Will be a pia since I will have to reinstall all software, but it would be less time then I have spent this far.

Only downside is I don't have my x9 product key saved.  It's no longer in digital locker.  I have a copy of install file, just not key.   Weird they remove x9 when x10 is not official yet.  

Oh well, I can text on x10 and see if the new windows install changes anything.  I can call Mon and get my x9 key.

I'll update if it works.  Going to install everything one by one.  Chief being first and see if I have conflicts....

• VisualDandD changed the title to [SOLVED] Slow Library access X9 and now X10

Ok guys.   I figured it out.  NEVER in 1,000,000 years.   I have been dealing with this for so long, and what a stupid thing was causing it.

So, I did a clean windows install, no programs added in just Chief and NO difference.  Very frustrated, I leaned back in my chair contemplating my next move.   I noticed my DVD drive flashing.   I opened it to find an old backup disk I had tried to read, but remember it did not read right, so I forgot about it.  (had some old files non chief related).   I have no idea how long it has been in there, but the scratches on the DVD made it unreadable.

Just for the heck of it, I pulled it out.  Launched Chief and WHAMMO, in about 1/2sec the library pops right up!   I shut it down and tested it again.  BOOM!  Fast as lightning.  One more time to confirm....and third time, still comes up in a flash.

Seems the unreadable DVD disk was interfering with the program at certain times.   Weird only on those libraries and only at certain times.  I am glad I finally got to the bottom of this, as I have been living with it for waaaay too long.  Cant believe it was something that stupid!!!  

Thanks all for the help.  Your encouragement, kept me on the track to get it solved.   Just figured I would share and mark as "solved" in case of the weird chance it every happens to someone else.

Now I get the fun job of putting all the software back on ;).   Guess it is time to make the leap to X10 as well.   The only good thing is with a new install, everything will be nice and snappy,   I'll take the time to set it all up good!

Cant wait to dive into new features of x10. Have not figured out the new saved plan views.   Seems annosets have been re prioritized.   

• Upvote 1