X10 Hardware Lock

Bob_Medvetz

Bob:

CA is considering extending the 2-week check in requirement for those who ask

I find that unacceptable as I like the hardware locks for other reasons

currently CA suggests staying with X9 if not having a hardware lock is an issue

Lew

• Upvote 1

X10 is not about hardware locks, or internet access, X10 is a policy change understood from X1 of who holds the rights to open user's files   Chief is clear the yearly SSA Fee now will only allows users 14 days access to open your files at a time from X10 foreword.  Stop paying SSA Fee and permission to open your files and the ability to run your business is???  CA is very clear they will grant you permission every 14 days to open your work and client files for your yearly fee. Just don't ever stop paying every year if you don't want to lose access to your work and client files.  This is why many are saying they will staying at X9 until a better deal is made to upgrade.  It's that simple! 

48 minutes ago, BugsinNM said:

X10 not about hardware locks, or internet access, X10 is a policy change understood from X1 of who holds the rights to open user's files   Chief is open and clear the Yearly SSA Fee now will only allows users 14 days access to program open to your files from X10 foreword.  Stop paying SSA Fee and access to open your files and the ability to run your business is???  It's that simple!  CA is open and clear they will grant you permission every 14 days to open your work and client files.

I personally think you are misinterpreting things. The software validation is done to ensure that you are abiding by your licensing agreement regardless of whether or not you have SSA. SSA is unrelated, it's an additional paid for service that provides improved technical support, access to additional libraries and program updates. You are not compelled to have SSA. If you have purchased the software outright you can use it for as long as you wish. If you have SSA you do not have to renew it. If you choose not to renew it then whatever version of CA you are running still functions, you just won't be entitled to the additional features offered under the SSA program.

I'm not sure where you have gotten the idea that SSA is a requirement. It's optional.

I don't think many have heard of that, what does an upgrade cost without SSA fees?  Many of us have been asking for this for years.  Many of us keep saying we don't need the SSA fee just the upgrade but have been told that is not possible.  Your are now saying they have something new?  Please show us it's true?

2 minutes ago, BugsinNM said:

I don't think many have heard of that, what does an upgrade cost without SSA fees?  Many of us have been asking for this for years.  Many of us keep saying we don't need the SSA fee just the upgrade but have been told that is not possible.  Your are now saying they have something new?  Please show us it's true?

You are not listening. If you don't have the SSA program and say after 3 years you want the most up to date version you just pay the full price for that version. If you don't like that you can pay the SSA fee and be entitled to the upgrades at no additional cost as long as your SSA is valid. Pay me now or pay me later, the choice is yours.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But in X9 we have all rights to open our files, X10 removes our rights to open files.  We have to get permission every 14 days. It's very clear!  Many of us are not willing to give up the rights we have always had.

The elimination of the hardware key and the move to software/internet validation only is an entirely separate issue. It has nothing to do with SSA or your entitlement or no entitlement to upgrades.

As far as I'm concerned CA is in it's full rights to insist on some means to verify that users are in compliance with their user licensing agreement. Read the agreement, when you purchase the software you agree that they can do this. There is nothing unusual or sinister about this, it's done all the time, not just in software but in anything that is related to licensing. If you are a business and you license someone else's technology or process you will be subject to auditing by the licensor as part of your licensing agreement. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

But Graham you said we could buy the upgrade without SSA fees?  Are you taking that back now? Scott was just on line, maybe he can explain what you have told us,  Brian dose not seem to support your statement? 

You have a habit of not reading what I write.  If you purchase a new full version then you have for all intent and purpose bought an upgrade. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Scott Harris, dose the Full Version Graham talks about need internet access every 14 days to give you permission open your files?  Derek also explains last Monday you are doing something different for the African users as they don't have stable internet.  can the American users have the same as the African users?  Are we trusted as much as them?

Scott can we buy the Upgrade Graham told us about that does not need re-licensing every 14 days to open the program?  Or can we have the system your using for Africa Users without reliable internet?  Ether I'm sure could make the hardware lock users want to upgrade?

5 minutes ago, BugsinNM said:

Scott can we buy the Upgrade Graham told us about that does not need re-licensing every 14 days to open the program?  Or can we have the system your using for Africa Users without reliable internet?  Ether I'm sure could make the hardware lock users want to upgrade?

BugsinNM - You should take care to not misquote - I said you can buy a new full version. I did not state that it does not need licensing verification. The licensing agreement states that CA has the right to verify. Please do not use my name if you are going to alter or imply something I did not say. Thank you.

the 14 day check-in has been around for many versions now

probably when SSA was introduced with X2

I still prefer the hardware locks for many reasons

if CA's HQ burns down how would the software activation/deactivation work then ?

Lew

Lew is Right Bugs......  the Internet Verification Check has been happening for at least 6-8 yrs and happens in X9 too , I am not sure why you suddenly think this is "New" because they have discontinued the Hardware Lock. Graham did not state you could buy a Standalone Version of Chief...that is NOT possible due to Piracy Issues and people using more than 1 licensed Copy at a time. SSA is still the cheapest way to upgrade , unless you are lucky enough to catch the Annual Sale which is usually each Xmas.

If you want 3D Software with no Internet access you would need to use the Architectural Home Designer Version, from the Home Line of Products. (Home Pro has the internet check too). though I don't think you'd like it's feature set.

M.

20 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

BugsinNM - You should take care to not misquote - I said you can buy a new full version. I did not state that it does not need licensing verification. The licensing agreement states that CA has the right to verify. Please do not use my name if you are going to alter or imply something I did not say. Thank you.

he has done that a lot.

After reading Scott's response, I am wondering about some things.  I am certainly no software engineer, but I'm not sure I understand the "significant cost" of developing a hardware lock for future versions and requirement for staff resources.  As he stated the hardware lock has been a part of CA since the 90's.  Why does it require development now?  What about it is there that requires so much staff time?  Is there another solution to the hardware lock issue that could address the customers preferences for use of the program, and that gives them the convenience they require?

As I said, just wondering.