Framing members in cross section

Doug_N

8 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I think you need to convert your floor joists to solids to get what he wants for cuts like that.

even P-solids and Slabs aren't really solid though , just 3D "faces"  ( hollow cubes)  which is the Issue in this case I believe...

1.thumb.JPG.edbdfc55bd93adb0b173b08350cb78a5.JPG

perhaps cos it's on by default?  from the help file below...... not sure how it helps in this case ? but I think it is referring to the Fill Pattern/type such as under the Fill tab in some DBX's , I am thinking it is not referring to "Filling in" and making Framing "solid"

Fill New Framing Members

In Chief Architect X2 and prior, Fill New Framing Members was view-specific; in Chief Architect X10 it applies to the entire plan. As a result, it is turned off by default in legacy plans opened in version X10. See CAD Defaults Dialog.

• 3 years later...

I am not sure much has changed after a quick play , everything is hollow and solids or polyline Solids.......have the same issue if using the Cross Slider camera.

This is a P.Solid Fir beam , using subtraction ( and concrete block in pic ) and Chief puts the end back on but explode the shape and it is hollow.

Symbols are also hollow , see last pic of Fir 12 x 4 beam in  CS Camera

image.thumb.png.70c6811905b95eef3a6529e531332f08.pngimage.thumb.png.a9789bec047a40df41a98477784343b9.png

image.thumb.png.20faed614018d23a674477a7d8ba2553.pngimage.thumb.png.b72868f044181c329c2f71efe43994b9.png

image.thumb.png.ef988444b23e307cf7c5719997ecbd06.png

57 minutes ago, ionkin_DESIGN said:

I have the same question. Doug, did you figure it out?

I believe Michaels video method that I posted above (that is not longer available :() utilized moldings and the use of 3D molding polylines and symbol offsets to achieve a filled member in a simulated section view.  I think there is a limitation though in that you can only assign one material to each molding line used.  So you could section an entire house by assigning it to a molding line but do you really want wood grain caps on your concrete slabs ?  Perhaps there is a way around this problem but I am not sure what it is.

Definitely not a checkbox in the cross section slider DBX although it would be nice it would likely take some seriously complicated programming.

Depending on how serious you are you can also draw faces to fill in open section cuts but that is quite a bit of work, unless it is for a very specific purpose.

image.thumb.png.938df000b23060cd33fd63f061aafcff.png

At least I can sleep better now knowing I am not missing something. As Doug mentioned, these views would be nice to have for subs/GC's, also for creating custom details for annotating for CD's, but not mandatory. Maybe in the future we can have this luxury.

Thanks for work arounds!