Gas piping isometrics

RL-inc

I do work for a mechanical contractor and he is needing some isometric drawings fro gas piping layout- similar to the attached screen shot but I imaging we can do better in CA.

any suggestions on what the most efficient way to attack this is?

Capture.PNG

2 hours ago, RL-inc said:

Thanks for the advice - worked out sweet.

This one is a simple supply - next project is more involved but I like where it is headed.

Can't wait to play with the spiral ducting moldings.5a68ae1bbec74_gasiso.thumb.JPG.c65835d237fd338228fedc4e39129cd1.JPG 

Thanks for the followup Rob ....would you mind making the pic larger so we can view it better please...

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up question-

As I mentioned the new project we are working on is a bit more complex - mainly that there are more graduating pipe sizes as we move through the line.

It would very beneficial if I could break a 3d molding poly that I am working on and edit it's size and the continue on with the line.

Any suggestions appreciated.

A Couple of tips  -- but alas no solution!!

You can not change the profile of a molding line midstream even if you put some breaks in it. The edit segment tool does not work either. If you insist on a 3D iso, then you must physically separate the different size segments (profiles) and manually place a symbol fitting in between to take up (connect) the open space . If you re using the spiral duct symbol, then Chief does have some duct fittings under the bonus folder. HVAC No.2 Spiral Ducting. You can overlap the fitting symbols with the molding segments well enough to make decent presentation because moldings will not recognize a symbol.   However, although the spiral fittings (symbols) can be resized overall, I doubt that you will find the correct ratio reducers/tees/elbows that you need.

Much easier to just use different size circles as your profiles, then connect the segment breaks with you own reducer symbols which you can make yourself using the revolve tool and faces. Then you will have the problem of locating the connecting fitting symbols in 3D space. Since there is no way to provide snaps on a symbol in Chief, this is VERY difficult but doable if you persevere  with a combination of top and side Ortho views and by  using the arrow keys as a nudge tool (set the nudge to some  small distance). I found that this is just too tedious and that the 2D iso is the best solution. Just use the standard iso symbols to indicate any pipe size changes or a change in direction or a change in elevation. These are all provided on any plumbing web site. Then annotate every line size at the fitting symbol or the symbol itself. You can provide lengths but usually that is only annotated for the long runs.

Custom Symbol User snaps would fix the problem but that suggestion was rejected by Chief when I made it some years ago so no relief any time soon.

IOW -- lots of words for little help?

Thanks for the info Gerry-

kind of what I have been doing as far as locating in the 3d space- lot's of point to pint move and trans/replicate.

I think I will keep a plan template with all of the molding sizes and profiles that I am using for this and copy paste onto new files as needed.

We're all waiting for you to Post your Plumbing Components Library in the Symbols Forum :)

You would think we'd have one by now, being that many Jurisdictions require these drawings for Permits nowadays.... 

My Bad.... I forgot Eye-Candy before ConDocs rules the day.

In the only plumbing plan I ever made I used a combination

of elbows and tees from the 3D Warehouse with Cylinders

for the pipe sections. I found them much easier to manipulate

than moldings and you can easily change diameters if needed.

Image3.png

Well Ray Trace-1.png