X10 - no more hardware locks

lbuttery

Again, I will make my point about questioning are these increasing levels of security actually increasing software sales as Chief.

Heck, people who want to steal software are going to steal it.   

I just did a search for "Chief Architect torrent" and it took all of 30 seconds to find several cracked version of X9 , along with many for previous versions.

The funny thing is in the notes, it says "

You can install content to the library off of CA website but just don't update the software

There are also full libraries for download etc.

How much time and effort going into software security is worth it?   Why not like many other softwares, just license to a machine with no internet required?   Does this extra step really mean that a guy who is going to illegally download a Chief crack, is now going to buy the software?   I dont think so.  Chances are....his will still work just fine.

It is when these security features start causing issues for regular users, (while not really preventing software theft), that they dont make a lot of sense.   Seems a lot like the TSA checkpoints.   As loyal paying users, we are the 80 year old grandmas getting full body searches, while the guys stealing the software are still walking right through security.  

Just my take, but at some point the additional verification are pointless as they are still not stopping people from stealing it.    Invest those resources into some better construction doc tools and sales WILL go up.  In my opinion the people who are stealing chief would not buy it anyway....so stop trying to fight that battle especially when the attempt makes dificulities for paying users.   Just my take.

This is from the license agreement for X9- find it in your Program Files under license.

(h)Licensing and Authentication: This Software uses security technology and automatic error reporting to
authenticate your software installation and protect your license from unauthorized use. You agree to allow the
Software to send this security information to the Chief Architect security servers for authentication and reporting.
You may not disable any such security, licensing, or control features of the Software;

From what I can tell the program has been checking in all along even if you have a hardware key.

Archnot-Bolts, you have pointed out a very reasonable fact, that hardware locks could be upgraded. i like your idea, but i'm wondering if CA can get around this.

it seems for the moment that CA is stagnating even on this CA X10. just some small advancement on cabinets does not really upgrade this software.

i do not see even one major futuristic change of this architectural software that could help architects advance to future needs.  

maybe the brain isn't there for future development.