Walk out basement floor assignment

JohnLP

For a walk out basement design should the room design for the basement floor (the floor that has daylight windows)  be on floor 0 with the foundation definitions, or on floor 1 and then also have a floor 2 as the main living floor (this is a 2 level home)?

using Pro 2018 Build 19.3.1.80SX

John

It's personal preference, but I always place the first story(in your case the ground floor/basement) on Chief's Floor 1. I reserve Floor 0 strictly for the foundation that is below the first story (stem walls, footings, pads, etc.).

1 hour ago, rlackore said:

It's personal preference, but I always place the first story(in your case the ground floor/basement) on Chief's Floor 1. I reserve Floor 0 strictly for the foundation that is below the first story (stem walls, footings, pads, etc.).

I also do it this way because I need a foundation plan for con doc's.

Thank you to all, makes sense to me to keep the foundation separate, even though in this case, the side and back walls away from the front lower level windows end up being an extension of the stem walls (ie cement block).

With X10, you can name the "Saved Plan Views".  No longer do you need to be concerned with "Floor Level" (should be called "Plan Level") - which is not the same as the "Floor Name". 

The following works for me:

• Level 0 = Foundation Plan
  • Level 1 = Basement
  • Level 2 = 1st Floor Plan
  • Level 3 = 2nd Floor Plan
  • ...etc.
  • Attic = Roof Plan

or, if there isn't a Basement

• Level 1 = 1st Floor Plan
  • Level 2 = 2nd Floor Plan
  • ...etc.
  • Attic = Roof Plan

Whatever you name the "Saved Plan Views" in the Project Browser is what the %view.name% macro will use. 

• Upvote 2

Level 0 = Foundation Plan

• Level 1 = Basement

or, if there isn't a Basement

• Level 1 = 1st Floor Plan

Joe:

that seems rather inconsistent ???

My preference would be to stick with one method or the other

I've always leaned towards floor 0 being foundation and basement

same as CA does

but I was seeing merit in those who suggested separating them

but I like Joey's solution

Lew

I do basements here in Indiana 80% of the time. No slabs ever, and crawl spaces for the other 20% (just a short basement really) and I don't think i would ever put my basement on floor 1. Not the way I am wired, and not the way my brain works. My system works very well for me.

@Joe_Carrick I have to be honest. I have looked at the videos for the saved plan view, and I am simply not interested. I see no benefit whatsoever to improve my work flow. It's just something, IMO, that distracts from the fact that the stair tool is awful, the soffits still don't frame, the soffit connections are awful in plan view half the time, trusses still to my knowledge don't auto frame, so we have to build framing and then go back and change it all if using floor trusses or roof trusses. I am still adding 2D CAD line workarounds in my con docs and if I had any desire to upgrade from X8 I would still have to use those workarounds. 

38 minutes ago, joey_martin said:

@Joe_Carrick I have to be honest. I have looked at the videos for the saved plan view, and I am simply not interested. I see no benefit whatsoever to improve my work flow. It's just something, IMO, that distracts from the fact that the stair tool is awful, the soffits still don't frame, the soffit connections are awful in plan view half the time, trusses still to my knowledge don't auto frame, so we have to build framing and then go back and change it all if using floor trusses or roof trusses. I am still adding 2D CAD line workarounds in my con docs and if I had any desire to upgrade from X8 I would still have to use those workarounds. 

I would never put any basement plan  on floor 0 and if you are still using X8, you are missing out on a ton of stuff that will save you time drawing, never use cad either, anno-sets are great but plan views are better for working on your drawings . Anno-set have not gone away they are still there.

• Upvote 1

Not useless for me, I have found stuff in every upgrade that helps with actual con doc's, how about being able to change the property's of windows and doors from any schedule you have and click on any item in the schedule and Chief will show you where that item is in the plan view, pretty nice if you ask me.

• Upvote 1

Keep in mind Perry...we are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I don't need 7 different schedules and 52 macros for headers and notes and etc...( I still have NO clue what Ruby or is or why I should care) so some of the improvements you are seeing and maybe using are 100% useless to me. For the majority of my builder clients this....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1n4jajmfzj7jdoq/Caroline Plan Set_12_01_16.pdf?dl=0

....is not only all they want, but it's all they are willing to pay for. Custom home clients can/are more involved, but my current system and workflow more than handles those situations. It's all the workarounds that I need reduced.

4 hours ago, joey_martin said:

Keep in mind Perry...we are on opposite ends of the spectrum. I don't need 7 different schedules and 52 macros for headers and notes and etc...( I still have NO clue what Ruby or is or why I should care) so some of the improvements you are seeing and maybe using are 100% useless to me. For the majority of my builder clients this....

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1n4jajmfzj7jdoq/Caroline Plan Set_12_01_16.pdf?dl=0

....is not only all they want, but it's all they are willing to pay for. Custom home clients can/are more involved, but my current system and workflow more than handles those situations. It's all the workarounds that I need reduced.

Just want to mention...Joey Martin produces plans that are unrivaled.  He's truly a professional.  

20 hours ago, SNestor said:

Just want to mention...Joey Martin produces plans that are unrivaled.  He's truly a professional.  

Yes Joey does produce very nice plans, but for us in southern California that's not enough, we need all the goodies we can get. Joey also does some cad work which I try to evade like the plague .

• Upvote 1