Polyline Subtraction

Chrisb222

In the pic attached, I'm subtracting these circles from the rectangle, but have to click the poly line subtraction tool for each circle, which brings up the warning dialog every time asking if I want to delete the original... which is annoying, since this warning dialog doesn't have "remember this choice" option.

When using this tool, is there a way to make it repeat the task more intuitively, or, like the push-pin feature in other tools, keep the tool active through multiple clicks, or, select all the circles and have them subtract from the rectangle with one command?

Thanks

5a5fa2e1462c7_polylinesubtraction.thumb.png.35984917a102cb5456ba1400006f3ed9.png

7 minutes ago, solver said:

Thanks Michael.

I did learn that a plain polyline and a polyline solid can be used together in Union/Intersection/Subtraction operations. 

If you just learned that than I suspect you may have been missing out on some pretty great functionality elsewhere too.  You can actually use ANY polyline based object along with any other polyline based objects.  You can subtract a roof shape from a polyline driveway, you can combine a custom countertop shape with a slab, you can find the overlapping union of a landing with a room molding polyline, etc. etc. Just remember that the object you start with is the type of object that will remain, get extended, etc.

I just converted the "Circle" into a polyline solid, then converted that to a "Plain Polyline." That gave me the smooth arc pretty easily.

Thanks for the vids Michael. The union with another rectangle is a pretty good workaround. I actually posted this because I was going to make a suggestion that Polyline Subtraction should have a push-pin repeat function option, like other tools, or at least the ability to "remember my choice" on the annoying warning dialog... maybe I will.

3 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

I just converted the "Circle" into a polyline solid, then converted that to a "Plain Polyline." That gave me the smooth arc pretty easily.

You actually didn't need to do the second step.  Simply converting to a polyline solid is enough...converting to any polyline based object for that matter...faster then the method I showed in the video above too.

1 minute ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You actually didn't need to do the second step.  Simply converting to a polyline solid is enough...converting to any polyline based object for that matter...faster then the method I showed in the video above too.

Cool, good to know. I was doing that task to make a fluted leg for a fireplace surround/mantel that I use in new homes a lot. I made this thing to scale and now have it to place in plans that will be accurate to the actual field piece.

Does anyone know a way to make a symbol automatically cut the baseboard where it's placed, like a base cabinet does? In the pic attached I converted the room molding to a polyline and manually deleted the section where the mantel is.

mantel.thumb.png.890ef771e6bcc7f775480e984c5106d7.png

7 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

Cool, good to know. I was doing that task to make a fluted leg for a fireplace surround/mantel that I use in new homes a lot. I made this thing to scale and now have it to place in plans that will be accurate to the actual field piece.

Does anyone know a way to make a symbol automatically cut the baseboard where it's placed, like a base cabinet does? In the pic attached I converted the room molding to a polyline and manually deleted the section where the mantel is.

mantel.thumb.png.890ef771e6bcc7f775480e984c5106d7.png

Quite a lot of options actually, some of which could cut the hole for you too, but here are a few pretty simply solutions to directly address your question... 

• In X10 you can set the object to Inserts Into Wall.  In the Depth field just enter something like .01.  It will still show as zero unless you have you Number Style set to decimal inches but it should do the trick. 
  • Place the object into a blank plan and Export 3D Model (3DS should do the trick).  Then import the model.  During the import process, specify the object to be a CABINET.  You'll probably need to open the object in your library and delete the countertop.
  • Just block the object.  Chief treats Architectural Blocks just like like cabinets in many ways...cutting trim is one of them.
  • Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, solver said:

A wacky idea. I took a fireplace symbol from the library and converted it to a Doorway symbol.

It inserts into the wall, and i set the casing width to give space for the fluted legs.

ct1.thumb.jpg.83392233a4bd049a829045a6f7d02d3d.jpg

Yep.  That's one of the methods I was referring to that will also cut the hole.  You could also set to be a Window Symbol, or use the Inserts into Wall method along with the new Edit Wall Cutout Polyline tool...one of the most fabulous new X10 features.

17 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Quite a lot of options actually, some of which could cut the hole for you too, but here are a few pretty simply solutions to directly address your question... 

• In X10 you can set the object to Inserts Into Wall.  In the Depth field just enter something like .01.  It will still show as zero unless you have you Number Style set to decimal inches but it should do the trick. 
  • Place the object into a blank plan and Export 3D Model (3DS should do the trick).  Then import the model.  During the import process, specify the object to be a CABINET.  You'll probably need to open the object in your library and delete the countertop.
  • Just block the object.  Chief treats Architectural Blocks just like like cabinets in many ways...cutting trim is one of them.

Haven't downloaded X10 yet but will look for that feature.

Export/Import as Cabinet worked, but it cut the baseboard to the outermost edge of the mantel shelf, not at the legs.

I couldn't get blocking to work either. I couldn't block it as a symbol, and so I blocked it before converting to symbol but no difference in the baseboard...

Thanks.

17 minutes ago, solver said:

A wacky idea. I took a fireplace symbol from the library and converted it to a Doorway symbol.

It inserts into the wall, and i set the casing width to give space for the fluted legs.

ct1.thumb.jpg.83392233a4bd049a829045a6f7d02d3d.jpg

Wow, that's groovy, thanks. I can work with that trick. :)

On 1/17/2018 at 4:22 PM, solver said:

On 1/17/2018 at 4:46 PM, Joe_Carrick said:

Now add a custom casing and lintel with return.

Eric and Joe, thank you for these ideas. I've been working with this method and almost there... almost.

When I converted the fireplace to a doorway, it wouldn't accept the custom casing and lintel. When I imported as a door, it would accept the casing and lintel, but neither option would let me assign a custom 2D Block. I would like to create a custom 2D Block that accurately represents the unit in floor plan view.

In the picture, on the left is the fireplace I used to recreate Eric's idea. Then I built my custom fireplace (on the right, shown with custom casing and lintel). Neither of them would accept the trim when imported as a doorway, both will accept trim imported as "door."

When imported as "Doorway" it gives the "Edit Symbol" button but doesn't give a "2D Block" option, "door" import method doesn't even have the "Edit Symbol" button.

Am I missing something?

fireplace.thumb.png.c5930c04768f893d948269a09cbe29ff.png

13 hours ago, solver said:

The conventional way of doing this is to place a doorway in the wall, then insert your fireplace. 

The fireplace can be a symbol, or an architectural block.

Your pilasters are thick enough, I'm sure, to cover the base.

Got it thank you.