Bad functionality? - Layout links

johnny

1 hour ago, johnny said:

Before making a suggestion, i wanted to see what fellow users feel.  Should Layout make dynamic changes to linked plan files, but NOT actually make the link different?  This video explains.

http://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cFVDYooDin

Johnny,

I'm not understanding what you did to get that condition.  Was this a case where you just hadn't updated the Layout of an Elevation?

Just now, Joe_Carrick said:

Johnny,

I'm not understanding what you did to get that condition.  Was this a case where you just hadn't updated the Layout of an Elevation?

Yeah so if I have an open layout file, with all existing links, but then do a "save-as" on the plan file with a change in name the layout file automatically updates to show the newly formed file - but when you "drill" down (open) the link is still the old file.

15 minutes ago, glennw said:

You then expect your layout to link to the new plan file automatically?

Hey Glenn,

I would say I expect the layout file to display the same file it references.  Right now, it will automatically display the newly formed file but not link to it.  If Chief just had us manually change everything I would be fine with that too - just looking for consistency.

16 hours ago, javatom said:

Doing a save as while the plan and layout files are active can get you in trouble in a hurry.

I learned this the hard way. It's all very logical to me now, but that lesson prompted some thinking.

To the OP, it doesn't seem reasonable or logical to me to expect the layout file to automatically know you changed the name of the plan file. Yes, it's updating the contents of the layout view window dynamically, but the link is still to the old plan... as I would expect, once the logic hit home.

Attractive layout, BTW. :)

my method is to do a "save as" with the following naming convention

123_OAK_MODEL_180117_1545_LB_X10.plan and .layout

MODEL could be REMOD or ALT01 or ALT02

or LAYPS OR LAYCP or LAY01 etc - where PS = permit set and CP = client presentation

this is for my backups

then I do another "save as" using 123_OAK_X10.plan and .layout

this is to keep them in sync at all times

doing double "save as" is very quick and easy

during work sessions I will do it as often as every 5 minutes

or whenever I finish a task I don't want to repeat

Lew