Boxed eave issue

dskogg

You have to select the Trusses not the Roof Planes , ( plan view , turn Framing-Roof Trusses on) .....Trusses are not part of the roof plane , just defined by it....

click on truss in the dropdown under framing , then hold shift and group select them all in plan view ,open, check rebuild box...done , all pretty quick...

M.

It would be nice if there was an additional type of roof framing that would create an overframe condition just like it would be built in the real world.  Trusses continue on with a repeat of the previous ones, it just has more framing above it where the overlapping roof plane happens.

5 hours ago, javatom said:

It would be nice if there was an additional type of roof framing that would create an overframe condition just like it would be built in the real world.  Trusses continue on with a repeat of the previous ones, it just has more framing above it where the overlapping roof plane happens.

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but just in case (for you or anyone else reading along), this is what the Truss base tool was created to do.  its like a special roof plane that stops trusses below from framing into roof plane above and visa versa.  Now getting the overframe framing correct is a whole different ball of wax.  It's a little time consuming, but one of my currently preferred methods for both ease and 3d accuracy is to just use trusses for all of it. 

The overframe portion is very easy to do with trusses.  Once the overframe trusses are in position, lock truss envelope and no special snapping (X10), open truss detail, delete unnecessary parts and pieces from the valley trusses, and optionally adjust the framing as much as you see fit. 

For the ridge beam use a roof beam with a custom rafter tail.

For the ledgers, kickers, or whatever those things are called...a couple 3D boxes.  Build one, rotate in elevation, rotate in plan, move into proper position, boolean operations to trim; and then copy paste in place, and reflect about to create the second...

5a600e7c528e2_pic1.thumb.jpg.3b2d3f6ea05adce8a88d80b40bd0fc6d.jpg5a600e7e21128_pic2.thumb.jpg.abd2d21eb5ed266995ea90ca2b68a2fd.jpg

Overframe example X10.plan

Not super easy although its not really all that bad with a little practice.  I just can't stand it when something isn't accurate enough to take a 3D view of something without having to say things like "this won't really look like that".

• Upvote 1

You make it sound so simple Sir !  :)   

I'm not sure why the Ridge and Kicker (valley board) can't be done auto to be honest, along with the needed Bracing for the trusses etc

sometimes I think CA needs dragging out of the 80's the way they build stuff ......not to mention some of the Library Items :)

• 3 years later...
On 1/17/2018 at 10:05 PM, Alaskan_Son said:

I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but just in case (for you or anyone else reading along), this is what the Truss base tool was created to do.  its like a special roof plane that stops trusses below from framing into roof plane above and visa versa.  Now getting the overframe framing correct is a whole different ball of wax.  It's a little time consuming, but one of my currently preferred methods for both ease and 3d accuracy is to just use trusses for all of it. 

The overframe portion is very easy to do with trusses.  Once the overframe trusses are in position, lock truss envelope and no special snapping (X10), open truss detail, delete unnecessary parts and pieces from the valley trusses, and optionally adjust the framing as much as you see fit. 

For the ridge beam use a roof beam with a custom rafter tail.

For the ledgers, kickers, or whatever those things are called...a couple 3D boxes.  Build one, rotate in elevation, rotate in plan, move into proper position, boolean operations to trim; and then copy paste in place, and reflect about to create the second...

5a600e7c528e2_pic1.thumb.jpg.3b2d3f6ea05adce8a88d80b40bd0fc6d.jpg5a600e7e21128_pic2.thumb.jpg.abd2d21eb5ed266995ea90ca2b68a2fd.jpg

Overframe example X10.plan

Not super easy although its not really all that bad with a little practice.  I just can't stand it when something isn't accurate enough to take a 3D view of something without having to say things like "this won't really look like that".

As much as I would love to have this feature automated in Chief, this solution is pretty easy. Thanks for taking the time to post the example plan. I can't for the life of me replicate the valley plate that you drew with 3D shapes though. I can get close but I can't figure out how to rotate the object to sit flat against the rafters.

valley plate #1.jpg

Valley plate #2.jpg

1 hour ago, misterwiley said:

I can't for the life of me replicate the valley plate that you drew with 3D shapes.

There are a few ways to do it and I believe the behavior has changed a bit since X10 but it used to be that the key was to start with a 3D box (not a polyline solid).  In X12, we have more options using polyline solids but here's a method that still uses a box:

1. Draw a 3D Box in plan view that is shaped appropriately to match the lumber size you'll be using.
  2. While the 3D Box Specification dialog is still open, adjust the Rotation by setting the correct axis and roof angle, and then click once on the appropriate Rotate+/- button.
  3. Switch to an elevation view and use Point to Point Move to set the object on top of the roof surface.
  4. Switch back to Plan View and rotate the Box to be parallel to your valley.  This part is most easily just done freehand using the Rotate handle.  If you want something more precise it requires some more complex extra mathematical steps that I don't want to get into.
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1