How to Draw an "odd" Roof Plane

lavorhaynie

I have an odd roof plane I need to draw. It is a simple triangle shape but each of the triangle points needs to be at a different elevation, making each edge non-parallel to the floor. It also make it difficult to determine the correct direction to draw the roof plane's baseline.  See attached pics.

Any ideas on how to draw a triangle roof plane like this would be greatly appreciated.

It would be nice if the "Change Roof Pitch or Height" dialog offered one more button to "Pivot About Selected Edge". 

Thanks,

LaVor

TriangleRoofPlane1.JPG

TriangleRoofPlane2.JPG

Have you tried the Join Roof Planes tool ?  5a5daf8f87f2f_JoinRoofPlanestool.JPG.bd7e3f454adbe5dc84db571ae7a767fc.JPG

Or if that is what you are using and there is no way it will work, you can rotate the baseline in plan view or tilt it using the Baseline Angle: setting in the Roof Plane Specification DBX under the General Tab at the bottom.

Failing that, post the plan file and someone will have a look for you.

Yes. The planes do not join correctly because the needed orientation of the baseline is unknown and the needed roof pitch is also unknown. 

I came up with a solution that uses CA geometry. It works perfectly and creates a roof plane that joins all edges correctly. Looks great!

If any are interested in the solution, leave a comment and I will create a video showing how I resolved this. 

Best regards,

LaVor

8 hours ago, lavorhaynie said:

I have an odd roof plane I need to draw. It is a simple triangle shape but each of the triangle points needs to be at a different elevation, making each edge non-parallel to the floor. It also make it difficult to determine the correct direction to draw the roof plane's baseline.  See attached pics.

Any ideas on how to draw a triangle roof plane like this would be greatly appreciated.

It would be nice if the "Change Roof Pitch or Height" dialog offered one more button to "Pivot About Selected Edge". 

Thanks,

LaVor

TriangleRoofPlane1.JPG

TriangleRoofPlane2.JPG

I'd be more inclined to draw/build it like this.

11618roof2.jpg

11618roof.jpg

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, lavorhaynie said:

Thanks,

LaVor

TriangleRoofPlane1.JPG

TriangleRoofPlane2.JPG

You can create 3 separate elevation points by using "baseline angle" as well in the roof plan dbx

basline angle.PNG

10 hours ago, lavorhaynie said:

I came up with a solution that uses CA geometry. It works perfectly and creates a roof plane that joins all edges correctly. Looks great!

If any are interested in the solution, leave a comment and I will create a video showing how I resolved this. 

That would be a great idea. Love to see what you did and how it worked out.

On 1/18/2018 at 0:01 PM, lavorhaynie said:

I finally took some time to create the video as promised.

Below is the plan I used in the video, (a partial plan with needed objects).

I have posted the video on youtube at https://youtu.be/AqT9pBODOMs

Happy Chiefing!

Roof Plane Issue.plan

Nice video Lavor : )  Thank you for bringing this up too.  This was a fabulous challenge that really peaked my interest and so I decided to make a video of my own with my take.  I would highly encourage anyone and everyone to watch this one.  I think there’s some pretty good stuff in here...

• Upvote 2