Headers in X10

wjmdes

Am I doing something wrong, the new headers draw 2 members and label each one separately, i.e 2X8 Header rather than (2)2X10 Header. The headers in door and window schedule are still correct.  Maybe there is something I am missing.

hdr 2.JPG

hdr 1.JPG

I noticed the double headers too but assumed it was a Beta BooBoo..... since they are spaced apart.

2x8 headers are the standard size in CA if the opening is over 73" but less than 97" , so change your defaults if you always want 2x10 or select each one and change it's size as needed for one off situations.

73.JPG

74.JPG

I am assuming the ability to label headers on the plan is new to X10 (other than macros others have done)

• I'm not concerned about their sizes (yet)
  • The gap is actually correct.
  • The labeling is incorrect.

They should be labeled (as in the door OR window schedule) either (2) 2x_ HEADER  or  2X_ HEADER (2)

NOT

2 labels for each part of the header, does not visually look good, nor is it readable.

I was hoping maybe someone had seen this and knew of a quick fix or a toggle button I can not find.  It absolutely is not worth my time to go through the plan and suppress half the labels and add (2) to the other half for this to work.  If this is the case the header info can stay in the schedules where it displays properly.  I hope Chief did not add this function for it to operate this way as it makes no sense.

1 hour ago, solver said:

I don't understand, but this is what I see.

ct1.thumb.jpg.5f24764c3b6f2c89a363a53dc07cef5d.jpg

I found in my plan there are two labels , one is on top of the other , and I was able to move them......maybe it is a X9 base plan, not sure?

Personally I have never seen a Header built that way , not sure where they use that method ? way too hard to nail jacks and not stiff enough to carry drywall

M.

77.JPG

8 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I found in my plan there are two labels , one is on top of the other , and I was able to move them..

When I tried a new window with 2 headers the one label displayed as Eric posted and the other was automatically suppressed but can be activated and moved if you like.

2 hours ago, Dermot said:

Reread Bill's last post.  You will get multiple header labels if you bring in a legacy plan that already has wall framing.  When you rebuild the framing in X10 you should then have only one label.

Thanks ,

I thought I had tried rebuilding the framing several times but on trying it again tonight there is now a single Label , the note about the legacy plan rebuild should be added to the documentation I think . Can we retaining Framing during a rebuild somehow, if we had done Manual framing? cos I lost the original header Caps I drew during the rebuild

The issue for me is still that this is not how Headers are built in the field, at least not around here, which means having to redraw stuff for section views. I decided to move the existing inner header framing  and add some of my own ( top and bottom cap) along with some rigid Foam to make a Detail as a test , and it is doable but not quick. On going back in to the Section view and to get another screen grab,  the Inner 2x10 had moved back to it original location all on it's own..... so I guess playing with Auto Headers is out.

Header with "Caps" section view

88.thumb.JPG.8b7809868b6d3d3c35b1e09cb67a3b64.JPG

after the Header "fixed" itself ?

89.thumb.JPG.5c2796a382c522952c2e8663890cda8f.JPG

8 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Thanks ,

I thought I had tried rebuilding the framing several times but on trying it again tonight there is now a single Label , the note about the legacy plan rebuild should be added to the documentation I think . Can we retaining Framing during a rebuild somehow, if we had done Manual framing? cos I lost the original header Caps I drew during the rebuild

The issue for me is still that this is not how Headers are built in the field, at least not around here, which means having to redraw stuff for section views. I decided to move the existing inner header framing  and add some of my own ( top and bottom cap) along with some rigid Foam to make a Detail as a test , and it is doable but not quick. On going back in to the Section view and to get another screen grab,  the Inner 2x10 had moved back to it original location all on it's own..... so I guess playing with Auto Headers is out.

Header with "Caps" section view

88.thumb.JPG.8b7809868b6d3d3c35b1e09cb67a3b64.JPG

after the Header "fixed" itself ?

89.thumb.JPG.5c2796a382c522952c2e8663890cda8f.JPG

Please make the suggestion - I can see that it is needed

Will do , I have reported it to the Beta Team too and will update here if I hear something.

Where Am I missing the Retain Manual Framing Button? wall blocking (wall bridging in Chief speak) , partition backing etc all disappears in my test plan on a framing rebuild....

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

And do we really need to spell out the full names of hdrs, it takes up too much space. At this point I can't use them Chief';s way.

I am working with Michael on this,  I will let you know how it works out.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, dshall said:

I am working with Michael on this,  I will let you know how it works out.

That's nice but I think it's something Chief should incorporate . I think Michaels way would require we change every header manually, that's not acceptable. There should be defaults for header labels. This would require a re-write of Chief's macro that is just not correct for framing plans.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Dermot said:

X10 already has header label defaults.  Look on the Framing panel of your window and door specification or default dialog.

Yes but you can't change how you spell "hdr", that needs to be incorporated into the macro to work correctly. Or we would need to change every opening manually.

Currently, the program does not fill out the automatic header label when you switch from automatic to manual like it does for other objects. 

It's pretty easy to create your own custom header label using the insert macro menu.  You don't even need to know ruby or purchase any third party packages.

See attached plan and picture.  One window is full auto.  The other has a custom header label.  You could just as easily make this the default label for all windows and doors by specifying it in your window and door defaults.

I used the following:  %nominal_size% x %length% HDR (%header_count%)

header label.plan

header label.png

• Upvote 2

ok Dermot I checked it out and wonder why when I turn off headers b/c They are not viewed the way I would like them to, so I want them off but I also want the label to stay on. . when I turn off the headers from view the labels shut off also. I really want to see the window not the header.  ! see now it has potential with a few tweaks.

5 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Will do , I have reported it to the Beta Team too and will update here if I hear something.

Thanks Mick,  I assume you suggested that we need defaults for independent upper and lower header "caps" as well as control of the spacing and position of the headers based on your cross sections ?  Most of my contractors are now framing the way you do but it is a lot of work making everything look correct for them.