Gable End Porch Roof Question.

ACADuser

See attached X10 plan.

How would you address the gable end location relative to the porch floor edge?

Note that the gable end truss needs support so I usually align it with the beam below which is set back from the porch edge.

The porch edge is usually determined by the column footprint.

If the gable end truss is beyond the beam, it will need perpendicular members to hold it up.

In Chief, the gable end is positioned by the floor below.

I can do a section view if you need clarification.

Thanks

New.zip

I can move the Attic Wall to push the gable end back into the porch but the ceiling builds out to the porch wall below.

So the only way to build the porch out beyond the gable is to have more that one porch wall?

Or to use a psolid to build the porch floor.

Just seems like this is a common problem with porches and there should be an easy method.

The idea is to have a porch with an accurate square footage number and size in the database for use in schedules & material list.

So with auto attic walls off you can move the gable without screwing up the ceiling? I'll try that.

Yes much nicer porch but the client wants the larger porch.

I've been working on this house for months & they want another meeting to change the floor plan again.

BTW I did not design that master bath either. They get advice from everyone except me. :unsure:

The perpendicular Beams off the house out to the front of the Porch support the Trusses (or rafters) , Those beams can just cantilever over the 2 outer end posts , the beam across the front is actually doing nothing , except tying those two beams together,  the truss(es) support the roof weight..... though assuming that the Porch is the only addition there , it would be just as quick to over-frame it by hand I'd think.

That roof design is going to be an issue in heavy rainfall on the LH side with a Valley like that , it would need a cricket or similar detail I think....

which maybe why Eric redesigned it too ?

M.

• Upvote 1

Yes Eric the attic wall when moved left the ceiling out over the floor.

Just seems like such a kludge way to build these.

So many houses have this design and Chief should have a way to build it without all the extra work.

Mick, the Dead valley always gets a cricket or you have big problems down the road. 

The roofing in that area definitely needs a peal & stick underlayer.

I never liked the cantilevered outer beams and the gable end beam is decorative in most cases.

If you want the gable face out from the gable beam you have to hang it. My details are not clear.

Framing below.

CA Gable End Frame.JPG

3 hours ago, ACADuser said:

Yes Eric the attic wall when moved left the ceiling out over the floor.

Just seems like such a kludge way to build these.

So many houses have this design and Chief should have a way to build it without all the extra work.

Mick, the Dead valley always gets a cricket or you have big problems down the road. 

The roofing in that area definitely needs a peal & stick underlayer.

I never liked the cantilevered outer beams and the gable end beam is decorative in most cases.

If you want the gable face out from the gable beam you have to hang it. My details are not clear.

Framing below.

CA Gable End Frame.JPG

I think you need to read Mick's response again as well, since that is typically how it works in the field.  I dont actually understand what you are using the 2x4 for on your section.  If you are using trusses they can simply land on the perpendicular beams coming from home.  I often frame down or place a beam on the end just to visually tie everything together, but its actually not even necessary most often. 

In your detail it appears to be the most important aspect, so I think you should rethink this.