X10 Beta - Window/Door Question/Issue

BenPalmer

Working on a small detached garage.  I have my grid snaps set to 1".  I place a window or door in a wall (interior or exterior).  I select the window, grab the middle handle to drag it down the wall, and it is not following the 1" grid, but moving at 1/16". I verified the snaps were not causing this.  In fact, I tried it with snaps off and grid on with no change.  This is not how X9 behaves, which follows the grid snaps of 1".  If I grab the edge of the door or window to resize it, it does follow the 1" increment.  Just moving it is not following it.  I tried other items like cabinets and they follow the 1" increments as expected.  This is my first use of X10 and got pretty far before noticing this because I typically use dimensions, arrow movements or the transform dialogue to move things, but this was more of a visual placement to see what I liked.

Questions: Is this how X10 behaves for others? What new setting needs adjusted to get the window or door to move on the grid?

31 minutes ago, BenPalmer said:

Questions: Is this how X10 behaves for others? What new setting needs adjusted to get the window or door to move on the grid?

Ben that is quite reproducible and it would not hurt to send that in as it is not consistent.

• 1 month later...

This didn't get fixed in the official release. However, to be fair to Chief, I admit that I never reported it, so that's on me. But I have a hard time understanding how this went through multiple betas without being picked up, or that more people aren't noticing it now.  Am I the only one that drags these items?  Do most of you dimension only?  I probably dimension most (75%), then arrow into position second most (20%), then drag handle next (5%).  Can anyone confirm if they reported this during beta?

I guess I better report it...bother.

Yes I think it was reported but I have sent in other reports that have not been addressed so it is important to send in a fresh report with every update that does not properly address the issue.  I think that is the only way it works with the system in place.

Just now, solver said:

The only way to get a window to resize in other than 1" increments on my system is to use control drag.

Resizing works fine.  The problem is grabbing the middle handle (door or window) and moving it along the wall. It does not follow the grid. (see original post for more details).

7 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes I think it was reported but I have sent in other reports that have not been addressed so it is important to send in a fresh report with every update that does not properly address the issue.  I think that is the only way it works with the system in place.

Guess I have to sharpen the saw...too busy to sharpen the saw. (insert whiny tantrum here...would have submitted the report by now with the time I spent on this post, lol)

You should always report any problems you find directly to tech support.  We don't usually read Chieftalk posts looking for problems.  The only way that you can be sure that we will know about them is to report them to tech support.

As far as I know, this is how Chief has always worked.  I tried it all the back to X5 but did not go back any further. 

The program does not currently use your grid snaps for placing or moving openings in plan views.  It does use your grid snaps when moving openings in elevation views though.  Maybe this is one source of the confusion?

Regardless, it seems like it would be good if the program did use your grid snaps for placing and moving openings.  If you would like this behavior changed, then please submit a report to our tech support expressing your desire.  It means more coming from you then from me.

For now, I would recommend always using your dimensions to position your openings accurately.

27 minutes ago, Dermot said:

As far as I know, this is how Chief has always worked.  I tried it all the back to X5 but did not go back any further. 

The program does not currently use your grid snaps for placing or moving openings in plan views.  It does use your grid snaps when moving openings in elevation views though.  Maybe this is one source of the confusion?

Regardless, it seems like it would be good if the program did use your grid snaps for placing and moving openings.  If you would like this behavior changed, then please submit a report to our tech support expressing your desire.  It means more coming from you then from me.

For now, I would recommend always using your dimensions to position your openings accurately.

@Dermot, in the process of recording a quick vid demonstrating that past versions do not behave this way (off grid), by shear luck, I figured out the bug. In X10,with grid snap on, If I toggle OFF "Bumping/Pushing" then it stays on grid. As soon as I toggle "Bumping/Pushing" back ON, it goes off grid.  I tested this in X9 & X8 and it stays on grid regardless of this toggle (with grid snap on).  Only way to get it to behave off grid in X8/X9 is to turn the grid snaps off.  I even tried this in 9.54, and it stays on grid as well.

Link to vid demonstrates this:

https://www.screencast.com/t/wvghznUp

Definitely a newly introduced bug in X10.  Yeah, I know, report it.  This is exactly why I don't report things, i would of had this same back and forth from tech support and used just as much time. Just too busy.  Hopefully i can just link to this post so i don't have to go through demonstrating it again.

• Upvote 1

I can see this problem in all versions of Chief that I tried.  I am getting consistently inconsistent results though.  Most of the time if it starts moving on grid it ends up moving off.  Once it is off grid, it seems to stay off.  It seems to largely depend on how much you move the window and how much you are zoomed in.  It may also depend on whether or not you moved the window on grid using the dimensions before you started to drag it.  It may also depend on whether or not you are looking at the interior or exterior dimension which will show different values because it is usually impossible to get both on grid.

There does seem to be a difference in X10 related to the bumping and pushing but I think this is really just making some problems that were already there more apparent.  We will look into this more but I can't make any promises on when this might get resolved.

I would still recommend that you position your openings using the dimensions and not depend on dragging them to get them positioned accurately.

Thanks @Dermot.  That is interesting results.  For me, so far anyway, I never got off grid in previous versions through full time drawing, and always get off grid in X10, dependent on the bump.. I haven't fully played with this and am now just starting to use X10 in my work flow and will likely figure out the behavior/dependents/variables better as I go.

9 minutes ago, Dermot said:

I would still recommend that you position your openings using the dimensions and not depend on dragging them to get them positioned accurately.

I use the dimensions when finalizing drawings, or when I know exactly where the door is going to go.  But, during the creative design process, I don't always know this and need to easily be able to play with different options which means dragging here, then there as I feel my way through the design.  It hampers the design process as it is currently working, but for now, I can work with turning the bump on and off as that seems to be working with my settings as of now.

Thanks again for your help.