solver

Physically Based Rendering - Exteriors

Because I do mostly exteriors, I was curious how Physically Based Rendering would work compared to a Ray Trace and a Standard Render.

Anyone else tried and have an opinion?

The Physically Based Rendering seems far harsher and with no direct way of controlling this.

Ray Trace, Physically Based Rendering, Standard Render.

rt-pb-r.thumb.jpg.56cb1c43ced2493760469c769013496b.jpg

• Upvote 1

It does look over exposed / over bright ......the controls in the Camera Technique Options for PBR don't help?

• Upvote 1

Yeah the PBR looks a bit over-exposed. And curious why almost no shadows on the RT versions?

The physically based render (PBR) tools are in an odd mix of locations. If you open the camera view you get a couple of controls that effect the view but then you need to go to the 'technique options' button in a different location to effect the hue, saturation, brightness, exposure, etc. settings. Would be nice if all the controls were in a central location.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for posting such a great example Eric. You can see that there is a lot more work needed to make this work properly out of the box.  It is possible that it could be controlled with the addition of the Rendering Technique Options that we already have for Standard views of the three Ambient Light level sliders and the Shadow slider that we have in Vector View.

There is still the very obvious over exposure or washed out colours that is the deal breaker for me.

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Yeah the PBR looks a bit over-exposed. And curious why almost no shadows on the RT versions?

The physically based render (PBR) tools are in an odd mix of locations. If you open the camera view you get a couple of controls that effect the view but then you need to go to the 'technique options' button in a different location to effect the hue, saturation, brightness, exposure, etc. settings.

Would be nice if all the controls were in a central location.

I was thinking the same eg on the 3D Views Defaults Tab .......  I still can't figure out Why Chief still has it's Defaults for everything in 3 different places it seems.

M.

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I was thinking the same eg on the 3D Views Defaults Tab .......  I still can't figure out Why Chief still has it's Defaults for everything in 3 different places it seems.

M.

I don’t have a perfect answer and I understand the desire to have all controls in one place  but consider these things… 

- Some of the controls are “rendering” settings,  some controls are GPU settings, and some are basically image/display settings.

- If all the controls live with the camera  we would have major problems switching rendering styles without creating a whole new camera.

- If all the controls live with the rendering style you’ll need to adjust those settings for each and every rendering style.

I don’t know what the best “solution“ is (if there even is one), but I can absolutely see the reason and need for  some of the settings to remain split up and residing in different locations. 

On 1/11/2018 at 1:38 PM, solver said:

The Physically Based Rendering seems far harsher and with no direct way of controlling this.

The garage door styles and frame are a good example of a major problem turning black when in a slight shadow.

37 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

The garage door styles and frame are a good example of a major problem turning black when in a slight shadow.

Can you post a quick example of this (plan and screenshot)?

I have one that I sent into Brian a while ago that presents a similar condition which is why I commented, and that strangest part is if you turn on an interior light the exterior part of the door frame with the door closed will then be brighter than the other surfaces surrounding it that are not in shadow. Could not quite produce the same situation in a test plan. Can't figure out the door styles in Eric's plan at all.

Here is the test plan anyway with an equally exciting interior shot.

Interior PBR.jpg

PBR Shadows.plan

Totally confused how you got that shot Eric.  I tried to reproduce and turned off the sun and the exterior lights drowned everything out so I set them to 100 lumens and still could not reproduce so turned them off and go this.   ???  What is that in the driveway ?

Sun Off PBR.jpg

Turned the lights and the sun back on and got this like your very first posting.  Never seen any thing like it before and thought you were joking the first time.  Sorry about that. B)

PBR Sun On.jpg

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

Totally confused how you got that shot

I'm not so sure either, but I could reproduce, and get the black blob too.

Here are 2 PB renders. I made no changes to any settings.

Created the first one, switched to Standard Render, then back to PBR.

5a5a71f8057bd_PBRE1.thumb.JPG.1465ea4c60fbe093c9b732bc6069bcaf.JPG5a5a71f69e3c6_PBRE2.thumb.JPG.3ec1b75fe570588d70deeee53234d20d.JPG

Switching often causes redraw as does rebuild 3D. 

The garage doors that show dark and light are ones that I made. Replacing the larger one with one from the library fixed the problem.

However, a PBR now looks like this.

ht1.thumb.jpg.e847d626b7bf6ec788f0801deca6e485.jpg

Wow that is crazy.  I replaced the material on your doors Eric with the latest version of Brite ( White ) and it did not help.  Could possibly have something to do with the new video driver.  Quite the hazy mess now.

I wonder if it would be a good idea for all of us to post or Nvidia or other driver versions with our signatures until this gets sorted out.

The haze goes away after a setting  change that causes the view to update. 

I thought it was odd that only one wall was not affected.

I'm running the latest Nvidia driver.

So what ever that is showed up again without explanation.  Might be a good Idea to send this one in to Brian's Attention.

On 1/13/2018 at 6:21 PM, solver said:

ct1.thumb.jpg.209b8a9d099adf2dad366080cba27834.jpg

I see you found a use for the new "oblique semi-trans-black yard ornament" object in the "never need these" library folder. Congrats!