Computer Question

kdaleyates

I am looking to buy a new computer and need some help.  I am running CA X6.  Will the following setup work well with x6:

AMD Athlon X2 340 Trinity 3.2GHz Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor

Graphics card:

Nvidia GTS 450 DDR5 Dual DVI with Mini HDMI Port

4GB DDR 3 1600 MHZ PC-12800 Memory

500GB Hard Drive
1 HDMI Port
6 USB Ports

USB WIFI adapter

500W Power Supply

Case:

APEVIA X-TROOPER Junior Series X-TRPJR-BK Black Steel Micro ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Includes:

Motherboard:

FM2 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Thanks for your input!

I'm not familiar with AMD processors other than to say that they tend to have slightly lower benchmark scores than equivalent CPU frequency Intel processors. More importantly, I would be very concerned about using a Dual-core processor as CA gets a lot of its performance by utilizing multiple cores in parallel. As I recall, Doug Park of CA has suggested 'the more cores the better' for improved performance.

'Working Well' can be personally subjective depending upon what you are expecting to do. If you want 'instant' CA performance in plan views and renders and do a lot of ray tracing (which is CPU-intensive), then I think you will be disappointed with this computer. 

video card and Ram are very low spec for doing 3D work but you don't mention budget but....

upping both to what is affordable is probably advisable and I would look at nothing less than a 750watt power supply especially with a better video card installed , the gts 450 came out in 2010? and is only $65-75? nowdays. something with 2GB onboard Ram or more should be considered.

minimum Computer ram should be 8GB , windows will happily gobbly up 1/2 that now days 12 or 16GB is better.

video card stats

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GTS+450

you might consider a 120 GB SSD to install Windows and X6 on and use the 500GB HD for Data Storage only too.

M.

Hmmm. all depends on your needs....

I would say 4 GB is too light - 8 GB minimum is much better

500W power supply is light - 800W is much better

even if it runs ok now - think of the future

each new release of chief puts higher and higher demands on the PC

no comment on CPU or video card except the following

get the fastest and most cores you can afford

dual cores are fairly out-dated these days - consider quad-core the "minimum"

get the fastest gaming video card you can afford with minimum of 1 GB of video ram

card should have the ability to add more ram as needed

Lew

Chief has always recommended Nvidia cards , I think because of how the OpenGL is implemented vs Radeon/ATI cards.

even a 750 or 750Ti will give you twice the performance of the 450GTS and both are faster than the 7770

From the specs it appears you are on a very tight budget.

I can't say for sure whether that hardware will work for you. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't run Chief, but it is a very low end machine so the performance will not match what most of us would demand as a minimum.

The CPU is very low end.

Look here for information on CPU speeds.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/index.php

Look here for information on video card speeds.

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/

Generally, you probably want to be in the high-mid range groups for both CPU and Video for a computer that handles Chief well. If you drop below those levels Chief will still probably run, but won't be very fast.

If you can I would recommend getting into the high-end range. The price difference between the fastest and cheapest in the high-end range allows for the creation of a very nice machine for under $1000.

From the specs it appears you are on a very tight budget.

I can't say for sure whether that hardware will work for you. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't run Chief, but it is a very low end machine so the performance will not match what most of us would demand as a minimum.

Doug,

Have you ever considered a hardware certification program, similar to what some of the AutoDesk products participate in? I think a lot of CA users, both current and future, would appreciate having something more to go on than "mid-high end." Some solid specifications, or certified hardware, would help us nail down our budgets and and avoid making an under-powered or over-powered purchase. 

A hardware certification program would be very time consuming. Generally Chief runs well on just about reasonably modern computer, so it seems silly to create a short list of computers that work when there is an extremely long list of hardware that will work just fine.

We want our software to run on the hardware that you already have if you are a new customer and work very hard to ensure that it will.