How do you make a drop ceiling for only 1 room

40mstew

I have a basement with a safe room. The ceiling is 10' high in the basement. I only want to drop the ceiling in the safe room that is in the basement down to 8' and keep the basement ceiling at 10'. Seems every time I try to do this it messes with the foundation and raises it. Not finding any videos on this. Or is it just as simple to turn a soffit into a ceiling???

There has to be a simple step by step solution to this. 

Using X9. 

Thanks

A few ways to do this but one of the best...

Add the necessary layers to your ceiling FINISH definition.  From the bottom up:

-Ceiling finish layer 

-Framing layer

-Insulation / air gap layer

Here’s a video I made a little while back.  It was made to address a different issue but probably worth a watch anyway...

14 hours ago, justmejerry said:

I would just use a shelf ceiling. 

SHELF CEILING.jpg

SHELF CEILING 2.jpg

Interesting,  I had not thought of this......  it might make sense to use this method if you wanted the ceiling TO SIT ON THE WALL and not hang off the wall.......  I think.......  suppose you selected the exterior wall and defined it as going through ceiling,  would the ceiling  now hang off the exterior wall?

4 hours ago, dshall said:

I guess I didn't know what I was talking about,  my ceiling does hang off the wall.  So my question is,  why is Jerry's ceiling sitting on wall and not hanging from wall?

5a5379b9c78f3_ScreenShot2018-01-08at6_01_15AM.thumb.png.57c5c8d9f6eeff4674a1d2dd66fcd02f.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 5.59.42 AM.png

The shelf ceiling has its uses, but in a situation like this, it is very difficult to control.  It will automatically hang on 2 or 3 of the surrounding walls but will always frame over at least one wall.  I have yet to figure out the program's logic as to which wall(s) it chooses to cut short.

Anyway, you can get the walls not to cut short at all by utilizing an extra single layer wall with a very small (maybe .01" thick) Insulation/Air Gap layer.  That way the filler wall gets cut short instead of the main wall.  This works pretty well much of the time but definitely not all of the time.  Depending on your design, I think you'll still find that using the shelf ceiling tool for this type of situation may prove to be more hassle than its worth...

5a53b6db2c508_Shelfyuck.thumb.jpg.d8ec97007c2af029ec4790a36a797625.jpg

I thought the Shelf Ceiling ( Plant/Display Shelf) was typically only used for situations like a Closet Area in an otherwise Vaulted Room , say a Master Bedroom or Foyer, not sure if that accounts for the one side never framing like the rest?

Perhaps Jerry's Basement wall is a Furred Wall ? not sure if that makes a difference? as I didn't do a test drawing .....

M.

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I thought the Shelf Ceiling ( Plan/Display Shelf) was typically only used for situations like a Closet Area in an otherwise Vaulted Room , say a Master Bedroom or Foyer, not sure if that accounts for the one side never framing like the rest?

I think your estimation of this situation is correct.  The shelf ceiling wasn't made to drop a ceiling structure inside a room envelope so much as it was made to drop a room envelope within another room envelope.