no drywall at the end of an open wall

40mstew

Never had a problem with this before. If I draw a wall that ends at the front of the shower, the end wall shows a stud with no drywall. I really don't want to have to draw a polyline solid, rename it on the layer, and paint it. Frustrating because I didn't have this problem just last week. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-03 at 3.28.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-01-02 at 5.25.29 PM.png

The wall's outside layer wraps the end (the paint with zero thickness in this case), not the drywall (unless it is the outside layer). So either 1) make the drywall the outside layer and change the drywall color as desired or 2) give the paint layer a 1/32" thickness.

[EDIT] What they said.

I think Chief should fix this so that everything wraps the main layer.

Edited by CharlesVolz

29 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

What is the proper procedure ?  As most drywallers do not leave exposed studs for the painters.

Lots of ways to handle it...

You can paint the walls (could be done with "Blend Colors With Materials" toggled off or on depending on the situation).  I do this all the time.  When I hear people tell new Chiefers "DON'T DO THIS" I think they're doing a disservice.  Better to teach people how to use the tools properly than to tell them not to use them at all.

You can create a new "Drywall" or "Siding" material for each color you'll be using.  This new material can then be applied using paint can, or by changing material in room definition, or by changing material in wall definition, or by changing material in wall type definition...all of which have their upsides and downsides.  Again, you can optionally simply paint your material with "Blend" toggled on which will automatically create a new material for you. 

You can use a Wall Material Region.

You can apply a Wall Covering.

In the end I don't think there is any right answer.  Just learn how the tools work, and then decide what works best for you and your particular situation. 

Thanks guys, That is a real help and it looks like if people want to use the wall definition for paint layers the suggestion Charles made has good merit.

34 minutes ago, CharlesVolz said:

I think Chief should fix this so that everything wraps the main layer.

4 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

...the suggestion Charles made has good merit.

Agreed...at least as an option.

Like so many other good suggestions, it needs to actually be posted in a usable form in the suggestion forum or sent in to Chief if we want Chief to even consider it.  Otherwise, I can pretty well guarantee its never ever gonna happen.